Sat Nav

bprinceuk

Is it possible to buy English langauge Sat Nav in Khon Kaen for a car, and if so any recommendations for Make and model. I have never used a one before and do not know a lot about them

Cheers

Brian

I heard Tesco were now selling a basic Garmin Nuvi model for under B5000, but that they often don't have stock. You can change the language via the menu system. Take a look at the GPS sub-forum which has old threads on best maps etc.

Edited by citizen33

I heard Tesco were now selling a basic Garmin Nuvi model for under B5000, but that they often don't have stock. You can change the language via the menu system. Take a look at the GPS sub-forum which has old threads on best maps etc.

Thank you for the info

Brian

I treated myself to a Garnim (from the guy in Pattaya) for Christmas... I have used it around our little area (Kalasin) and considered it mostly a "Big Boy Toy"....

Took my first long trip last week when I drove from Kalasin to Pattaya, and all I can say is "Thank You Santa".... Worked Great, made the trip very easy, even when I did not listen to it and took a couple of wrong turns, it / she got me right back on track and without calling me an "Idiot" or giving me "That Look" that the Thai wife always uses...

Pianoman

I treated myself to a Garnim (from the guy in Pattaya) for Christmas... I have used it around our little area (Kalasin) and considered it mostly a "Big Boy Toy"....

Took my first long trip last week when I drove from Kalasin to Pattaya, and all I can say is "Thank You Santa".... Worked Great, made the trip very easy, even when I did not listen to it and took a couple of wrong turns, it / she got me right back on track and without calling me an "Idiot" or giving me "That Look" that the Thai wife always uses...

Pianoman

I know what you mean Pianoman. My wife get most annoyed if I listen to the 'Mio noi' in a box :D

I believe Garmin are more user friendly than other '2nd wifes in a box'

:)

Pianoman

I know what you mean Pianoman. My wife get most annoyed if I listen to the 'Mio noi' in a box :D

You can change to a male voice if it suits your wife any better.

Pianoman

First time that I used it returning from the Market to Home, my Thai wife was almost Upset, wanting to know "How Lady know where you live?"... I almost feel out of the truck laughing... Now she accepts that the "Lady" knows more than either of us when it comes to the roads....

Pianoman

Pianoman

First time that I used it returning from the Market to Home, my Thai wife was almost Upset, wanting to know "How Lady know where you live?"... I almost feel out of the truck laughing... Now she accepts that the "Lady" knows more than either of us when it comes to the roads....

Pianoman

Nice one Pianoman

Marvin Car Audio on Mitraparp Highway next to Central Plaza.

www.marvincaraudio.com (in Thai)

Mitraparp Road is a long road....what city are you talking about?

As there have been references to Pattaya, Kalasin and Khon Kaen so far.

I actually live in Korat and would like to buy one but dont know where from.

HL :)

Pianoman

I would be wary about buying Garmin units from a private seller in Pattaya, if you are expecting "new" as he advertises.

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/automotive...-new-47458.html

I recently installed some updated maps on such a unit, which my friend had bought as "imported new from UK".

While I was looking around the files on the unit, a discovered a .csv file which had recorded the unit as travelling about 8,000km around Europe over a period of 3 or 4 weeks before it ever arrived in Thailand.

Caveat emptor.

If you know nothing about what GPS you need, I'd suggest Eagle GPS;

http://www.eaglegps.co.th/index.php/lang-en/car-navigation

The site is in English and the boss is a farang. He will offer advice and support if you have questions or any problems. Eagle will happily ship directly to your address and you can pay via a simple bank transfer.

If you know nothing about what GPS you need, I'd suggest Eagle GPS;

http://www.eaglegps.co.th/index.php/lang-en/car-navigation

The site is in English and the boss is a farang. He will offer advice and support if you have questions or any problems. Eagle will happily ship directly to your address and you can pay via a simple bank transfer.

Thank you Gary, good info and connection

Brian

Apologies mca....I've just seen you hail from KK so I will assume you mean there.

HL biggrin.gif

No problem mate. :)

Thank you mca

You're welcome.

I like Marvin for their service. I bought a full set of new speakers, tweeters, DVD player and monitor with a 10" sub and box and they had 4 guys working on it. Dropped it off at 4pm on a Saturday afternoon and picked it up at 7.

• 3 weeks later...

Pianoman

I would be wary about buying Garmin units from a private seller in Pattaya, if you are expecting "new" as he advertises.

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/automotive...-new-47458.html

I recently installed some updated maps on such a unit, which my friend had bought as "imported new from UK".

While I was looking around the files on the unit, a discovered a .csv file which had recorded the unit as travelling about 8,000km around Europe over a period of 3 or 4 weeks before it ever arrived in Thailand.

Caveat emptor.

Agree, as you can buy them on ebay....in the form of GRADE A, they are returns sent back to garmin and then new cables and manuals packaged with them, kind of like sony used to do Sony Grade A etc....but are still backed by the one year warranty...

As for maps, well the are out there on the net....if you look for free