Thai Airways Considering Drastic Steps

george

just as in Charles Darwin's 1864 On The Origin of the Species, where he documented the biological process of natural selection, which was coined "Survival of the fittest,"

I believe it's only a 'THEORY', never been proven so therefore not an actual 'biological process' as such ....... might still have been God, or aliens, or whatever.

..... documented his theory about natural selection .........

No, you misunderstand the usage of the word "theory" in a scientic context.

In this case, it is not just an idea, it is the widely accepted fact. If something comes along to make the theory invalid then it then the theory will need to be updated or abandened. I for one will not hold my breath.

American evangelicals frequently exploit this misunderstanding to promote the balmy idea of creationism.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai raising prices will be a good thing. All the more free seats for employees, their friends and their families, as well as VIPs, board members and politicians. Fewer troublesome paying customers to occupy the premium seats Thais should be getting for free.

Sometimes it better to just ground the plane or lease to another airline instead of continuing operations.

And with certain things at some point the demand becomes very inelastic. There are some people who absolutely have to take a flight to X during X time, regardless of whether it costs 1K baht or 20K baht. The key is to figure out the perfect formula to extract as much money from inelastic demand crowd and top off revenue with more casual travelers, hence the highly variable pricing model of the airline industry. But raising prices is certainly not a 'stupid' strategy always.

just as in Charles Darwin's 1864 On The Origin of the Species, where he documented the biological process of natural selection, which was coined "Survival of the fittest,"

I believe it's only a 'THEORY', never been proven so therefore not an actual 'biological process' as such ....... might still have been God, or aliens, or whatever.

..... documented his theory about natural selection .........

A biological process like this one : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._coli_long-...tion_experiment

Thai are the cheapest direct option at the moment for the end of May, LHR to BKK £496 with Southall Travel for the dates i want, but i really don't fancy sitting on that aged 747 that i sat on 20 years ago for 11 hours, you just have to look at some of the comments from recent travelers

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/thai.htm

Eva is showing no seats available, that leaves Qantas and BA, both over £650

Thai are the cheapest direct option at the moment for the end of May, LHR to BKK £496 with Southall Travel for the dates i want, but i really don't fancy sitting on that aged 747 that i sat on 20 years ago for 11 hours, you just have to look at some of the comments from recent travelers

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/thai.htm

Eva is showing no seats available, that leaves Qantas and BA, both over £650

Emirates with 600 channels.

The sad fact about Thai and its 747s is that back in 2005 they started revamping the fleet. I had a nice pdf document from Thai about it. Nice pictures of the a/c new colour scheme, new uniforms and the new back of seat entertainment system. I'm sure a few of you remember the photo of the new uniform where one of the models had the glummest look you could imagine.

Back to 2010 and we've swapped to Emirates and even my wife has to admit Thai is not number 1. Its nice to fly with a modern airline.

Found this in a Feb 2004 press release

· Improving Inflight Entertainment System with Audio VDO on Demand with Touch Screen and Handset with a wide variety of movies and songs on THAI's 9 Boeing 747-400s aircraft and 8 Boeing 777-200s aircraft. The installation of new system on these aircrafts is expected to complete by the end of 2004 and the installation of Airbus A340 will be complete within 2005.

Thai raising prices will be a good thing. All the more free seats for employees, their friends and their families, as well as VIPs, board members and politicians. Fewer troublesome paying customers to occupy the premium seats Thais should be getting for free.

Spreading the light of day imbued with cynical wit is oh so welcome! Ditto your signature comment.

Spreading the light of day imbued with cynical wit is oh so welcome! Ditto your signature comment.

Undoubtedly.

If the full paying customers be they Thai or Foreign realised what percentage of people they subsidised on every flight they would be shocked.

It isn't enough that the government/taxpayer is on the hook for any losses, but a large percentage of the people on the flight are receiving subsidised tickets funded by the full fare paying man on the street. And then Thai has the temerity to jump up and down and complain that "we can't run such and such a route profitably".

If the full paying customers be they Thai or Foreign realised what percentage of people they subsidised on every flight they would be shocked.

To be fair to the new chairman he does seem to be trying to get rid of the old culture but its so deeply ingrained that it will take a long long time.

TG have a promo on on their site at the mo ...London-Bangkok companion deal but must book by end of May...fair enough.

click on the thingy and it jumps back a month and you gotta get in there by end April....jobby for a webmaster me thinks

TIT

TG have a promo on on their site at the mo ...London-Bangkok companion deal but must book by end of May...fair enough.

click on the thingy and it jumps back a month and you gotta get in there by end April....jobby for a webmaster me thinks

TIT

Not on their Thailand web site.

No special offers whatever.

136,000 TBT BKK/LHR return, 42,000 in the back.

No chance

Hmmm.. raising the price of the Chiang Mai -> Phuket flight by over 60%... Just as Air Asia announced this flight, VERY cheap.. Possibly they've just given up on selling that flight and hope for some international bookings from people/agents who don't know any better.

Drastic steps == utter desperation?

Added to this, you can't fly to some VERY common destinations on TG.. Want to go to New York (East Coast USA)... sorry. :)

To be fair to the new chairman he does seem to be trying to get rid of the old culture but its so deeply ingrained that it will take a long long time.

" what percentage of people they subsidised on every flight "

but this was very shortsighted of them

they can never play catch up with the other Asian carriers now

Culture is one thing but i never chose my carrier based on culture alone

- i also want new aircraft.

How will Thai ever be able to afford to renew their very old fleet ?