Surin City - I Need To Get Internet And Satelite

kunash

Hi

when i return to surin ( 1km from bigc), i will rent a house and would like to get proper phoneline internet and also satellite.  i guess there are several providers for each.  i would like to pay up to 1000baht a month for each.  i am not too bothered about reliability for the internet, but unlimited access is a must.   for the satellite i am from the UK and like english football, and i like to watch the news, so whatever is best for that.

what do you suggest please and do you have a phone number or address.  thanks

You got a tilac?

Tell her what you want, she'll know where to go get it, and since she speaks the lingo, you're in like Flynn.

(that's how I did it when I went to live in Buriram back in '97, and Surin ain't that far from Buriram)

P.S.: You're going to have to re-work your budget.

I live about 15 kms outside of old CM city.. The TOT phone line (as TTT at that time would not do it) cost me 6600 to bring in. Of course using a Thai persons name to get it started. then i had to buy her out and get my name on the bill. greasin' the wheel so to speak.. Then she got me the fastest band she could at 2700 a month. I got that lowered to 1500 a month but with vat and such i pay now 1710 a month. Am I happy?/ I was very happy before the cell phone and before the computer. Life was actually better and it seems all went to <deleted> after everyone was able to have a phone to call out on..

Chiang Mai was much better 20 years ago.... where can I go from here???

Surin???

Hi

If your 1k FROM bigC going out of town, you MIGHT have a chance of getting a phone line. As suggested get your lady to check with shops/schools/Wat near to home. I am 8k out of Surin and have TOT 4meg Broadband for about 900b a month. UBC Gold costs 1400 odd and I get to see more football matches than is available in the UK. BBC & CNN news is available too.

I have been here (Surin) a while and feel free to PM me, if I can be of further help. Good Choice BTW :)

Dave

As David said Since you are will be close to big C, you should be able to get TOT or TT&T. Im about 12K out of the city and TOT wanted 30,000 baht to run a line, so I went with CAT CDMA. It's not fast but it's ok. It was 8000 baht for the CDMA and the price per month for unlimited was 800, but they just lowered this to 400. If you want to go this route, AIS also has a air card, not sure if it works in isaan. My CDMA does not work in BKK, only ISAAN and Chang Mai, but what is nice I can travel around and use my laptop. UBC as David said will cost you between 1400 - 2000 depending on what package you want.

Hope you enjoy surin, It's not a bad place, can get just about anything you need.

up to 2000 a month each??

i have done a little searching on the forums - is CAT-CDMA a land line for internet?

CAT - CDMA is a wireless system similar to the cell phone network. Usually a lot better than Edge and can be used anywhere in the North, Isaan and South. There is no connectivity in Central Thailand.

This link shows areas that you can use CAT-CDMA, but you need to read Thai

http://www.catcdma.com/about_as/coveragearea/index.htm

and satellite - set up 3500 then no monthly fee - 

kunash

I have heard rumours around Surin about this set up.

It sounds good, but not exactly legit. :)

I think you have to have PC linked to TV so that they can update the signal every time UBC track your 'box'. Thats until the shop gets caught.

In the words of Forrest Gump.... Thats all Im gonna say about it!

Edited by Dave the Dude

As David said Since you are will be close to big C, you should be able to get TOT or TT&T. Im about 12K out of the city and TOT wanted 30,000 baht to run a line, so I went with CAT CDMA. It's not fast but it's ok. It was 8000 baht for the CDMA and the price per month for unlimited was 800, but they just lowered this to 400. If you want to go this route, AIS also has a air card, not sure if it works in isaan. My CDMA does not work in BKK, only ISAAN and Chang Mai, but what is nice I can travel around and use my laptop. UBC as David said will cost you between 1400 - 2000 depending on what package you want.

Hope you enjoy surin, It's not a bad place, can get just about anything you need.

I'm on AIS 3G an air card. I'm in Chiang Mai. I"ll be down tomorrow in Kap Choeng. The air card works there. Yes I'll be on edge, not the best but not the worst.

Hi there,

I am also with Catcom on their unlimited plan and am still paying 845.30 per month.

Could you please tell me how you are now receiving it for 400 baht? Did they just lower your bill or did you do something else to get the reduction?

I would be very happy to reduce my bill if possible.

and satellite - set up 3500 then no monthly fee - 

kunash

I have heard rumours around Surin about this set up.

It sounds good, but not exactly legit. :)

I think you have to have PC linked to TV so that they can update the signal every time UBC track your 'box'. Thats until the shop gets caught.

In the words of Forrest Gump.... Thats all Im gonna say about it!

yes, i do not think it is legit.  they ''borrow'' some one elses signal.  so you think best to avoid yeah?  i would rather go legit, the TGF suggested it, that is all.

yes, i do not think it is legit.  they ''borrow'' some one elses signal.  so you think best to avoid yeah?  i would rather go legit, the TGF suggested it, that is all.

Not sure kunash because I don't know any one actually using it, only talking about it. I think the guys were saying its for people who already have a dish thru True/ubc.

There are loads of bars/restaurants around Surin showing the football on big screens and IF you can get broadband, many things can be downloaded. I use UKNOVA every day!

Not sure kunash because I don't know any one actually using it, only talking about it. I think the guys were saying its for people who already have a dish thru True/ubc.

There are loads of bars/restaurants around Surin showing the football on big screens and IF you can get broadband, many things can be downloaded. I use UKNOVA every day!

would uknova have the big brother shows?  also the latest 'top gear' shows?  ( when available )

would uknova have the big brother shows?  also the latest 'top gear' shows?  ( when available )

Yes definitely, I have watched the later, but sometimes they stop mid season , due to legal reasons??!! and I switch to The Bay of Pirates or Vuse.

They are choosy as to the number of members, so as not to slow down torrents. Once your in, you must "use it or lose it" BTW.

If you want help with IT/PC hard/software/ components, I know a Thai mate in Surin with a good shop.