British Comedy Series, Can't Remember The Name

I think this is a current series but it may be over. I watched a few seasons I think and wonder if there is a new season. The main character is a funny dark haired boy who used to go to an elite school but his mum got divorced and now must go to a regular school due to reduced finances. The comedy revolved around the lead characters adjustments to hanging out with a different class crowd of new friends. Younger age group than Skins. What's the name of this series?

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any suggestions for other good more or less CURRENT UK comedies? Non UK people often know Office and Skins, but what about some others?

Speaking of non-current ones, I have been watching the Monty Python show for the first time since they were originally aired. A lot of the humor really holds up so I guess that makes it a classic.

Edited by Jingthing

Been going a while but i dont know if ur into peep show - Absolutly brilliant. Other current would be Gavin and Stacy, ive not followed the series, but it is very popular.

there is ricky Gervis's other series called Extra's. That was a couple of years ago. And although not really current 'the royal family' was a very good comedy. Hope these help, i prob can come up with more but would need time to think

Been going a while but i dont know if ur into peep show - Absolutly brilliant. Other current would be Gavin and Stacy, ive not followed the series, but it is very popular.

there is ricky Gervis's other series called Extra's. That was a couple of years ago. And although not really current 'the royal family' was a very good comedy. Hope these help, i prob can come up with more but would need time to think

Have been watching the current Gervais "talking" show with the animated talking heads. Thanks for the others.

The IT crowd, about a couple of office IT geeks & their boss who knows nothing about IT.

Not exactly a comedy but has some dark humor, Being Human. About 2 blokes & a woman who share a house they happen to be a vampire, a ware-wolf & a ghost.

The League of Gentlemen & Peep Show, classic British humour.

Not exactly a comedy but has some dark humor, Being Human. About 2 blokes & a woman who share a house they happen to be a vampire, a ware-wolf & a ghost.

And Russell Tovey (the werewolf) is one of us :)

Oh yes, watched that one already. The series is finished, yes? I tried IT crowd; didn't really click for me.

It took me a while to work out the "one of us" comments. I've just spent a couple of minutes thinking what me & endure had in common then the penny dropped :)

BBC 3 report that a season 3 of Being Human is due to release 2011 :D

glad someone mentioned League of Gentlemen, fantastic stuff, I think you have to give it time, as in watch at least four or five. I would imagine, possibly incorrectly, that it would be one of those shows that non-brits might 'not get' Hope I'm wrong. It's 'catch phrase' value is priceless. Even though it hasn't been on air here for a number of years I dropped one of the characters phrases at work the other day and it still works ('she's my wife now dave!')

Black Books is also very well written.

Also check out Phoenix nights, that one may well escape you, I remember watching it with my ex-g/f (english) and I found myself translating some of it! Northern English accent went right over her head, but if you can open your ears to that it's another gem :)

• Like 1

glad someone mentioned League of Gentlemen, fantastic stuff, I think you have to give it time, as in watch at least four or five. I would imagine, possibly incorrectly, that it would be one of those shows that non-brits might 'not get' Hope I'm wrong. It's 'catch phrase' value is priceless. Even though it hasn't been on air here for a number of years I dropped one of the characters phrases at work the other day and it still works ('she's my wife now dave!')

Black Books is also very well written.

Also check out Phoenix nights, that one may well escape you, I remember watching it with my ex-g/f (english) and I found myself translating some of it! Northern English accent went right over her head, but if you can open your ears to that it's another gem :)

Agreed , the league of gentlemen , very funny series , the town of " Royston Vasey " is actually , Roy Chubby Brown`s real name !

• 2 weeks later...

I took a look at The Inbetweeners after JT's recommendation and I'm glad I did. Great show, the best new comedy for a few years in my book. Very fresh and portrays the teenage experience rather well.

Looking forward to S3 which should be out in the Autumn.

The writers are also the producers of Peep Show which I would also highly recommend.

Oh yes, watched that one already. The series is finished, yes? I tried IT crowd; didn't really click for me.

The IT Crowd isn't that bad once you get over how irritating it is. It's written by the same writers as the mentioned Father Ted and Black Books. They're essentially the same shows, just with different locations and characters. Chris Morris put his name to it too, which makes it alright by me.

A very recent comedy is 'Bellamy's People' a spoof about a radio phone in presenter who goes around the UK interviewing interesting characters - quite an original format. Stars 'Fast Show' actors Paul Whitehouse, Charlie Higson and Simon Day as well as Rhys Thomas.

The radio show that inspired BP is worth a listen too. 'Down the line' parodies radio phone in shows and is perfect for your Ipod.

The best ever sit comedy in England was without doubt 'Only fools and horses' Don't' know where you can download, but It's worth the search.

Cheers, Rick

Oh god, not this again. Sounds like Crazy Dave's in Patts is the place for you.

That went right over my head mate. What is the connection between Crazy Dave's and fools and horses?

Cheers, Rick