What Is An Appropriate, Small, Gift To Buy A Thai Women?

NamKangMan

Before I gave anything, I would check her status with her fella first is he cool or a drinking jealous type..

Hi teruk I have been given a present from the farang I see once in a while !

suddenly she is not allowed back to work ,or is accussd of cheating etc

I once brought flowers for a customer on her birthday, thankfully my wife said it was her idea when the husband went beserko...

Hate to say you want to show appreciation money and a few kind words is best.

I will often buy my employees small presents but they work with me and again wife gets involved.

I cant remember buying a present for a waitress or chemist back in the U.K. just because they did their job and dont think anyone else has so why do it here???dosnt make any sense really, or is there a bit of underlying romance there???

Well said fella...All these stupid farrang shelling out hard earned dosh...would they buy SUV's Condo's Land Houses etc etc for a working lady back in their country...be polite.. enjoy pay and sod off.

Before I gave anything, I would check her status with her fella first is he cool or a drinking jealous type..

I once brought flowers for a customer on her birthday, thankfully my wife said it was her idea when the husband went beserko...

I will often buy my employees small presents but they work with me and again wife gets involved.

An interesting point mate, however, I'm thinking of something small, and maybe not enough to get the Thai hubby/boyfriend jealous.

What were the small gifts you bought your staff?

Definately no romance. The laundry lady, for example, will sometimes put my washing in the front of the que, because I have been late dropping it off. Of course, I tip that, but, would like to give a small gift, hence, my post.

Let's be honest, in the UK, and my country, if you dropped your laundry in late - they wouldn't give a sh*t.

I think the "tip" is business - a small gift would would make the appreciation a little more personal.

Orchid seems ideal then, hope she likes what you decide to get

A fair point, however, the size, and expense, of the sort of gift I had in mind, I would suggest, shouldn't (but yes - I know this is Thailand) the jealousy of a Thai hubby/boyfriend, but, I do appreciate your post.

What were the "small presents" you bought your staff? These are probably the ideas I'm after.

I cant remember buying a present for a waitress or chemist back in the U.K. just because they did their job and dont think anyone else has so why do it here???dosnt make any sense really, or is there a bit of underlying romance there???

Well said fella...All these stupid farrang shelling out hard earned dosh...would they buy SUV's Condo's Land Houses etc etc for a working lady back in their country...be polite.. enjoy pay and sod off.

A few hundred baht is well short of an SUV, condo, land or house. It would only represent a small token of appreciation.

Obviously, you are a "keeniow" in the true sense of the word. Maybe you have bought the SUV, condo, house and land in the past and have been scammed. Now you hate all Thai's.

Back home, you buy a bottle of scotch for your accountant or a nice bottle of red for your doctor at Christmas time, but, I guess you have no idea what I am talking about.

For the record, I have never bought a lady an SUV, condo, house or land and I have never sent money "for sick buffalo."

Why don't you try leaving a tip at your local bar, restarant, cafe etc next time (as hard as that will be for you leaving all of a $1). Upon your return, you will notice larger portions on your plate and cooked just the way you like it. The beer will be icey cold, just the way you like it. The newspaper will be put in front of you as soon as you sit down. They will say hello to you by name. The fan will be placed on you or the air con turned up. The staff will assist you in learning a few words of Thai - should you ask them for help, as I do. They will give you a lift on their motor bike somewhere. They will tell you where the best and cheapest place is to buy something you need etc etc etc etc etc.

You continue to enjoy counting the zeros in your bank account - just don't call those who know "you can't take it with you" and who form a stronger business relationship with those they have business dealings with - "stupid."

I don't agree with the orchid. They are cheap as chips here and 90% of the time will have no flowers.

Fruit is the way to go with immediate enjoyment.

Never seen Thais give a live plant as thanks, but, they all give fruit, or, something that is edible.

Edited by KarenBravo

For someone really special:

A nice new purse to light up the eyes,

a note of appreciation (in Thai) inside one pocket to light up the heart,

a *1K Baht note in the other pocket to make it a truly "magic" gift.

Total cost $50

Effect - priceless!

(and or small gold Buddah good luck charm)*

For someone really special:

A nice new purse to light up the eyes,

a note of appreciation (in Thai) inside one pocket to light up the heart,

a *1K Baht note in the other pocket to make it a truly "magic" gift.

Total cost $50

Effect - priceless!

(and or small gold Buddah good luck charm)*

I appreciate your post mate, however, I'm not that fashion conscious when it comes to lady's purses and the type of women I'm talking about don't strike me as that concerned about fashion. They are hard working, middle aged women from Issan.

I did think about a Buddha, but, I don't know much about what is an appropriate Buddha to buy, and why. Many times I have seen Thai's pondering for a long time over a large selection of Buddha's before they pick one. What made them decide on "that Buddha" I have no idea.

I will need to learn more about this part of Thai culture/religion.

I don't know if this helps but, I've often noticed that Thai ladies love giving little cakes and desserts (especially a lot of crepe cakes going around lately...) to each other. I think you could go to a nice bakery get a few different types of nice desserts and maybe write a thank-you note for everything she has done. I think most ladies would appreciate that and not take it in the wrong way.

Even if she doesn't end up having a sweet tooth, I'm sure she has family or boyfriend of a friend that she would be happy to give the desserts away to and she would appreciate your gift as well...

I don't know if this helps but, I've often noticed that Thai ladies love giving little cakes and desserts (especially a lot of crepe cakes going around lately...) to each other. I think you could go to a nice bakery get a few different types of nice desserts and maybe write a thank-you note for everything she has done. I think most ladies would appreciate that and not take it in the wrong way.

Even if she doesn't end up having a sweet tooth, I'm sure she has family or boyfriend of a friend that she would be happy to give the desserts away to and she would appreciate your gift as well...

I didn't think Thai's were into farang style cakes and desserts. I'll seek a bit of advice from Thai friends about this. Thanks for your post.