New forum suggestions

george

This place is great.  I've noticed that several people, myself included have many topics that are quite interesting and a good conversation point.  Suggestions for forums include ...

Finance (I'm curious about Thai shares, banks, etc)

Jobs (this should be discussed inside out)

Relationships (important people be realistic)

Language (tips, language schools)

Technology (There seems to be more tech than people realise)

Any more?

Thanks for the feedback! What's wrong with the "Other topics" forum? It could be name changed to something more all-covering? Of course we could add a couple of more forums with the names suggested, but I am not so sure if people will post in the correct forums then....

What do you think?

Absolutely nothing wrong with it, just I can see this place becoming the prime Thai expat website very quickly if it meets user needs.

Having used these forums for many years on different systems, it's always nice when you have lots of users to split it up into more relevant subject areas.  It also means I have to write lots more messages, because I find this a fascinating culture and area.

Off topic posting happens with all forum message systems.  Sometimes people make an effort and sometimes not.  Whether it's intentional or not, I personally dont think matters, what does is that someone posts.

These are of course, just my thoughts, but I really like the idea and feel of this place, of course it's upto you how you want to mould it.  Hope i'm not being a solo voice here anyone else agree or disagree?

I don't know about everyone else, but as an expatriate in neighbouring Myanmar/Burma, who visits Thailand regularly - I could use some up-to-date info on good nightspots, restaurants, bars/cafes which tend to be geared more to local foreigners.

If possible its always better to avoid throngs of backpacking drop-ins, but finding good entertainment/after-hours venues is not always easy by word of mouth.  

So my two-pence worth suggestion is a forum for this purpose.

However I agree with George that introducing too many forums confuses the masses, although more topics might encourage long-time lurkers to post.

Thai Culture is a good topic, given so many anecdotes comes up during the current forums regarding visas, marriages etc.  Judging by the content of the posts, there are obviously many bewildered farangs seeking advice about their relationships/businesses etc, mainly when it concerns a cultural difference or mis-understanding.

Great forum, good work mods.

Also along this line of thought.

How about a picture gallery, where either pictures of various places are taken and put online and/or users can take pictures of various places, once moderated, can be put online.

Sometimes, it makes more sense if you see a picture of someplace or company or whatever if you can see a picture of it.

Like a reality snapshot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thai/Farang Partners Club

As an occasional lurker to this forum, I think that cmdog’s posted suggestion of an ‘Expat Thai Couples social club is a great idea.

We could have a get-together every now and again but I think you will find that the Thai partner would prefer that the Farang make the first approach to the ‘other’ couple then be introduced later – if you know what I mean.  My wife would certainly be interested but would expect me to check things out first !!

Pantip

Thai/Farang Partners Club is not an bad idea. If you guys want to have a forum branch with that name, I can set it up asap. Please let me know here.

Anyone willing to be moderator for that forum branch?

Thai/farangs etc.

Would I be splitting hairs where suggestion that when a Thai

( usually a bird ) comes O/S-UK etc.that she then becomes the Farang.

Limey/farang-Jock/farang-Taff/farang-Yank/farang..

I have just asked K.wife and her mates (all sitting on a mat eating as usual while watching Richard and Judy)if they have similar nom de plumes-ie.American-Yank /Irish-Paddy etc.but apparantly not?

The nearest it would seem that if your from Bangers (central) then your Top-No1.Issan (sorry -not me) is the bottom of the pecking order with "Lao-o" punters 2 nuts short of a picknic bar..never even mind the kha-men (khmers)

Ah well...time for another plate of Thai jasmine...

:cool:

Well, I hate to throw cold water on your wonderful ideas for forums but I am going to anyway!  :o

If you adopt a bunch of new topics for forums you are just going to marginalise your guests.

The 'other' bin on the bottom is quite sufficient.

Links to Thai related forums... (Top right)

Above you can check out six popular Thai forums. (Well, mine isn't popular, and you are already looking at this one!)

Even the mighty Ajarn forums with over 1,000 members only has two busy forums. Check the numbers and see if you think it is worth fragmenting an already well laid out forum.

• Like 1