Beginner, Help With Gear Plz

Hi

Im very new to riding a motorcycles and just bought a ta200. second hand just plainly like the ways it looks

im now very confused with the gear, i can get it back to neutral and firstgear to start riding but i have no idea how to get to second third etc , and how do i even knoe which gear im in ? been riding in first gear all along just for practice.

can someone please explain the order of the gear system in TA200. and at about wht speed to shift to which gear.

One more thing is the feul, no feul gauge how do u guys knoe how much is left ?

any more advice would really help.

If you didn't get the person who sold you the bike to show you, I'd recommend you go to a driving school. For everyone's safety.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_shift...on_a_motorcycle

http://motorcycles.about.com/od/motorcycli...ow_to_shift.htm

Agreed. VERY good advice. Thailand, especially in cities and tourist areas, is not the place to learn to ride. Get yourself out into a big empty space and learn to ride, and to fall off. Get trained by a good instructor. Stay away from cities and fast roads for a couple of years whilst you gain experience. Riding is great but you have to learn and gain experience properly and slowly.

Do you have a bike licence?

Have you experience driving a car? That would help a little with road sense but is still not the same as a bike. Even very experienced bikers have to take care over here. The standard of others driving is low and enforcement of laws against drunk, drugged, and dangerous driving is almost non-existant. The punishment is usually death or mutilation, of either the driver, passengers, or the innocent other motorists or pedestrians involved.

Take the advice. I'd hate the next posts refering to you to be "RIP". Take care! Be Safe!

2 years learning to ride before they can head into a city? After training by a good instructor.

Benjie,

I actually said 2 years out of the cities "to gain experience" before heading into a city. If we were talking about Bangkok then I'd probably advise a longer period. It is a dangerous place for novice riders. Just read the papers and look at the official stats to see the incidence of motorcycle fatalities in Thailand. Even very very experienced riders die here. Novices learning on roads in Bangkok are pretty much fatailites on wheels.

This was only personal advice from a former UK qualified Motorcycle instructor with almost 30 years of riding experience, including about 10 years of riding in Bangkok and other areas of Thailand.

You are of course free to comment and/or add your timescales.

hello everyone

and thanks very much for all the comments ^^

yes i used to only drive cars, and just start to get intrest in motorcycles but just the cruiser type.

i live in outskirts of bangkok ,lumlukka (anyone knoe where can i get riding lessons here?) and i only practice riding my bike 2-3am in the morning in my town house,

i would definately not go to the road, too scared T_T.

and the ppl i knoe only knoe how to ride gearless scooter so they cant help. they are even scared to try my bike <deleted>.

i just went to the shop ask for hondaphantom seconhand, and ask about paperwork and bought it.

didnt ask much, all remeber was , front light switch is next to the light infort of the bike, lol

i tought riding a bike would be easy like bicycle lol.

so now im in trouble , got answered for the gear transmission , now wht about oil ?

thanks

I would just wish you the best of luck, make sure your insurance papers are in order because you are going to need them very soon. Get a Thai drivers license as soon as possible, so that your insurance company will pay up...

Second, find a quiet road, start going up and down slow, very slow just so you get the feel of the bike. The more comfortable you get, increase the speed (use a helmet)...

Start with emergency braking (make sure you are not alone incase you fall over)... ride down the road at 20kmph and then squeeze the front brake as hard as you can, untill you lock the wheel (then release!)...

Then you can start "throwing" the bike from side to side so you get the feel on how you can avoid different stuff that will come infront of you... Not too much at the time but if you can not "throw" the bike around a car PARK IT UP!

Please for your friends and familys sake, start of slowly, I am sure you will do ok, but take your time... No need to dragrace down the street the first week....

A couple of weeks at the quiet street will do you good...

Keep the rubber side down... Good luck, you need it!!!!

Ps. How can a shop sell a bike to a person that can clearly not ride it??? Is money really everything???

If people only sold bikes to experienced riders then where would anyone start.

Lots of DOOM and GLOOM here, I realise that motorbikes can be dangerous but from reading some of the entries here it would seem that anyone thinking of starting to ride a motorbike should buy a headstone at the same time as their first bike.

Do you have the an older model or newer one (assuming newer one since you put '200')? They used to have the two stroke (which mixes your oil with the petrol/gas) and is water cooled---it has a radiator like a car. The newer model is four stroke and does not have a radiator.

Best advice I can tell you about the fuel guage, or lack thereof, is to fill the tank up and ride for say 100 km. Refill the tank and do the math. If you put in 2,5 L that means that you went 40 km/L, and thus you can figure out your range simply by remembering how many kilometers showed on the dial when you filled up last...that's basically what I do with my Ninja 250.

snowflake (what happened to your little white car?), I don't think that he's going to be "throwing" a TA-200 around.....

Sounds like you dont understand that the gears are 1 down 4 (I am guessing 5 speed) up.. Eg

N

How do you know what gear your in ?? By 'feel' of the speed v the revs..

Go find a large car park.. Or better yet a field and a dirtbike.

Hello,

Please have a (Thai) friend contact the following Honda Safety driving scool for you. The basic course is 200 Baht, it lasts about 8 hrs, they have plenty of open space to practice. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions. They are located in Ramkamhaeng, Bangkok. I have posted the information below.

If anything this will give you a chance to ride a bike in a very large open space, under supervision (without the worry of running into a Car).

.aphonda.co.th

ศูนย์ฝึกขับขี่ปลอดภัยฮอนด้า กรุงเทพฯ

1289 ถ.รามคำแหง แขวงหัวหมาก เขตบางกะปิ กรุงเทพฯ

Tel 02 7353999 , 02 7353458

Fax 02 7353933

รถยนต์ Tel 02 5402444 ต่อ 101 , 141

Sidenote: I am not in any way affiliated with Honda, Or Honda Safety School.

Kind Regards,

:)

Sounds like you dont understand that the gears are 1 down 4 (I am guessing 5 speed) up.. Eg

N

How do you know what gear your in ?? By 'feel' of the speed v the revs..

Go find a large car park.. Or better yet a field and a dirtbike.

Add 6 gear and you are correct.

I have a Phantom ta 200 and it is indeed a 4 stroke and will require gasolene only, preferably 95 octane though it does run on 91 as well.

Personally putting on the front brake until it locks up WITHOUT using the rear brake is a bad plan. :D

If there is any gravel or dirt on the road or it is a wet road you will come off and the Phantom weighs in at 140 kg which ain't easy to pick up especially if you are underneath it at the time. :)

I am uploading the Phantom owners manual and also my little spreadsheet on which I record all my costs.

My overall average is around 27 but this drops to about 22 when I go to Bangkok from upcountry as I try to cruise around a true 100 or so km/h but the speedo over reads by about 12km/h.

It may be because I am 115 kg and comfortably built (fat is close though not polite) that I use more fuel.

The Phantom is not a rocket ship nor a boy racer but it is a comfortable cruising bike and I like mine a lot.

If you need any more help you can PM me.

Happy and safe riding. :D

Honda_owners_manual.pdf

Honda_Phantom_mileage_v2.xls

I would just wish you the best of luck, make sure your insurance papers are in order because you are going to need them very soon. Get a Thai drivers license as soon as possible, so that your insurance company will pay up...

Second, find a quiet road, start going up and down slow, very slow just so you get the feel of the bike. The more comfortable you get, increase the speed (use a helmet)...

Start with emergency braking (make sure you are not alone incase you fall over)... ride down the road at 20kmph and then squeeze the front brake as hard as you can, untill you lock the wheel (then release!)...

Then you can start "throwing" the bike from side to side so you get the feel on how you can avoid different stuff that will come infront of you... Not too much at the time but if you can not "throw" the bike around a car PARK IT UP!

Please for your friends and familys sake, start of slowly, I am sure you will do ok, but take your time... No need to dragrace down the street the first week....

Ps. How can a shop sell a bike to a person that can clearly not ride it??? Is money really everything???

The same way a person can tell another person who has no experience of riding a bike to ride at speed down a road and lock up the front wheel :) <deleted>!!!!!!

The same way a person can tell another person who has no experience of riding a bike to ride at speed down a road and lock up the front wheel :) <deleted>!!!!!!

OP When you pull in the clutch and press the gear lever down you are putting the bike into first gear. When riding you pull in the clutch and hook the gear lever up. Most of the time the gearbox will select 2nd gear. In second again pull in the clutch and hook up and third etc. Depending on the model you will have either 5 or 6 gears. To select neutral pull in the clutch and press the lever down through the gears.

I taught my ex to ride by selecting first, releasing the clutch till it starts to bite then to pull in the clutch and GENTLY hook up to select neutral. Do this till you get the feel for where to find neutral. There is a green light to tell you that you are in neutral.

Practice makes perfect, just take it slow :D

That's why Americans don't drive manual 5555. They have to think to much.

Like said, by time you don't think which gear you are in, it goes automatic, this goes for cars and bikes. Beginners like you, best to count gears. You might destroy a few gearboxes to, but that's ok, you'r learning.

The meaning of riding down the road and locking the front wheel is to get you familiar with the emergency braking... so that when you have that obstacle infront of you and you squeeze the brake lever to much you will recognize it and let it off a bit...

Basic riding practice where I come from...

It TEACH YOU TO RIDE THE BIKE...

Start slow and then go faster...

same as lean angles and other riding skills you have to prepare and practice for worst case senarios... that way you have a better chance of getting out of it...

What I meant is that when someone sells a bike to a newbie, they should atleast make sure that he has the basic skills to get the bike out of the parking lot, or are with someone who can help him...

I know we all have to start somewhere, but in the parking lot with a new/second hand bike that you have never ridden before and have no clue what to do???? Might be time to consider some help before they let you out!!!

Do you have the an older model or newer one (assuming newer one since you put '200')? They used to have the two stroke (which mixes your oil with the petrol/gas) and is water cooled---it has a radiator like a car. The newer model is four stroke and does not have a radiator.

Best advice I can tell you about the fuel guage, or lack thereof, is to fill the tank up and ride for say 100 km. Refill the tank and do the math. If you put in 2,5 L that means that you went 40 km/L, and thus you can figure out your range simply by remembering how many kilometers showed on the dial when you filled up last...that's basically what I do with my Ninja 250.

snowflake (what happened to your little white car?), I don't think that he's going to be "throwing" a TA-200 around.....

Its simpler than that, the fuel light on the speedo lights up when you turn on the ignition, when the engine is running it goes out, when you see it again go to a garage :)

Hi everyone

Im very impress with the bikers community for all the advice and effort from you guys whos trying to help, aswell as the pm ^^.

Thanks to you guys i already knoe bout the gear and the feul, but still cant do it practically,

im riding too slow to shift gears+ im to scared to do anyhing expet controlling the bike, in a car i get covered in steel but riding a bike is like me covering the bike.

Should have learn riding while i was young, getting too paranoid at older age lol.

and thanks for the manual but i cant read it, its in some wired language. (need to convert the file or something?)

didnt get a chance to contact the honda riding lessons place yet, pretty busy and i only ride 10-15min a day after midnight.

I think those scooter might be real easy riding without all the gears thing, iv seen a 10years old kid riding those with speed,

or maybe they are fearless.

Anyway takecare guys and definately ride safe ^^v

That's why Americans don't drive manual 5555. They have to think to much.

I don't get the joke.

Gawd help us! :)

--------

I would go to a road safety course if I could find one out West,

scooters are very dif to a reg rd bike.

Riding & manoeuvring slowly seems to be the key.

Any ratbag can go fast.

Edited by GungaDin

Thanks to you guys i already knoe bout the gear and the feul, but still cant do it practically,

im riding too slow to shift gears+ im to scared to do anyhing expet controlling the bike, in a car i get covered in steel but riding a bike is like me covering the bike.

Should have learn riding while i was young, getting too paranoid at older age lol.

Anyway takecare guys and definately ride safe ^^v

I just want to make sure of this but you DO accept the fact that if you ride a motorcycle, there's a higher chance of you getting injured/killed from an accident, right?

It should be something that all bikers have to accept and keep in the back of their minds.

If you're too scared I'd advise you not to ride, for your safety and that of other road users.