Vientiane Visa Trip Questions

American going to Vientiane first time for a double entry tourist visa next week and looking for some advice.

I'm flying into Udon on Monday afternoon. I know there are minivans from the airport to the border from the airport, so I'm covered there. How much is a taxi to Vientiane from the border?

Any guesthouse or hotel suggestions for the 2 nights I'll be there? Not looking for rock-bottom, but not extravagant - around 1000 baht.

I will be going to the consulate on Tuesday. What's the best time to arrive to avoid the crowds?

Should I pay the consulate fees in dollars or baht?

When picking up the passport on Wednesday, what's the best time to arrive?

Are there sites where I can download the forms I need for Laos entry and Thai visa?

Are there agents that that will handle the visa process? I don't mind paying a small amount to avoid the hassles and lines. You can message me if you can't give agent info here.

I'm flying out of Udon at 1830. What's the best way to get from the border to the Udon airport? Are there taxis/vans available? What's the cost?

Thanks for the help.

Hi, I did this many times

1. tuk tuk from bridge to town is 250 baht

2. the Aroon Residence hotel is pretty good. email em and maybe you can get the 1000 baht rate

3. just get to embassy at 8-8:30 am

4. picking up passport is around 12:30-1pm

5. pay embassy in baht

6. you can download the form. I think from Laos embassy (thai emb) site

7. I never used agent so cant advise

8. get a van on thai side of bridge for 200-250 baht per person

You must go to the CONSULATE in Vientiane for a visa, and not the embassy. The consulate is located at No.15 Ban Ponesinuan, Bourichane Road, Vientiane (near Lao-Singapore Business College), which is a different place to the embassy. A location map can be found here.

Visa application form can be downloaded from embassy website here.

Apply morning Day 1: 08.30 Hrs. – 12.00 Hrs.

Collect afternoon Day 2: 13.00 Hrs. – 15.00 Hrs.

Does the Thai Consulate in Vientianne require a "confirmed ticket" out of Thailand in order to issue a tourist visa?

I know that some consulates/embassies in the region do, reasonably enough, but I would like to avoid arranging it this one time.

40 minutes from the airport to the border?

I have just read in another thread that there are buses from the Udon Thani airport through to Vientiane.

It is stated that these buses will not accept passengers who do not already have a Lao visa.

I will not have a Lao visa in my passport, so I will have to make other arrangements.

I suppose that means one leg into Udon Thani itself, then another leg to Nong Khai, and perhaps a third to the border. How long is needed for going in this manner?

Is there another way that does not require hiring a taxi or private car?

My concern is that I must be through immigration procedures and out of this country that same day.

Take US$ to pay for the Laos "visa on arrival. It's cheaper than paying in Thai baht. I think it's $35, or $36 if you arrive in an "overtime" period, which from memory is before 8.00hrs or after 16.00hrs or at weekends. There is a currency exchange booth on the left as you arrive over the bridge, just before the visa on arrival window.

Don't get suckered into going to a hotel by the river. The actual riverside is just miles of sandbanks with the Mekong in the distance, and various construction sites along the road.

Vientiane has little to recommend it except the beer.

The several Vientiane threads I have been reading do not answer this specific query.

Can anyone give some idea about the time required to go from Udon Thani airport to the Lao border, starting at 5:30 PM on a weekday, and NOT using direct bus service?

The several Vientiane threads I have been reading do not answer this specific query.

Can anyone give some idea about the time required to go from Udon Thani airport to the Lao border, starting at 5:30 PM on a weekday, and NOT using direct bus service?

If your thinking of using the public bus it's going to take an hour or more, no one can tell exactly because it depends on how many people get on or off at the many stops between UT and Nong Kai. Then you'll have to take a tuktuk from the Nong Kai bus station to the bridge. I'd best guess at least an hour and a half to go that way. Most of us try to link up with 2 or 3 other visa runners (not hard to pick us out) and split a private car straight to the bridge. Shouldn't cost more than 200 baht per person that way.

cr