Tefl

This isn't specifically Thai related...so forgive me.

My son was planning to come back to Scotland to do a TEFL qualification. He plans to do more travelling and figures having tefl would help him to gain employment in whatever country he finds himself.

Should he go down this route or come home and do a degree course , then go off travelling again?

Any advice would be appreciated.

If your son doesn't yet have a basic university degree and you can afford it, he should be doing that before he settles ANYWHERE permanently. If he's looking at these "travels" as a temporary 1-2 year stage between now and college, that's fine. If it looks like he wants to be here for the long stretch, he's really going to need the degree first (and it's simply the smart thing to do).

"Steven"

Life gets complicated. What if he wants to marry a Thai lady (it does happen) or has a child here? How is he going to juggle those responsibilities AND get a college degree at the same time? Better to tell him to knuckle down before it gets too late. On the other hand, maybe he can get a job in one of the hotels here as a chef.

I think in Asia a degree is very important, for a foreigner it is necessary to get a work permit. However in Europe, and I don't know about other continents, it's not so important.

He would need at least a degree in any subject to legally teach English in Thailand, whereas in Europe a TEFL may be better. Of couse having both would be even better.

I think in Asia a degree is very important, for a foreigner it is necessary to get a work permit.  However in Europe, and I don't know about other continents, it's not so important.

He would need at least a degree in any subject to legally teach English in Thailand, whereas in Europe a TEFL may be better.  Of couse having both would be even better.

Not trues. It is possible to get a WP to teach English without a degree. For sure difficult, but doable.

How is old Bracknell (I'm a Woodley boy)? John Nike leisure centre still going strong?

But as IJWT it's probably for the best in the long run if he thinks about getting one

Edited by kenkannif