Guidance -

esbkk

Hi All -

I want to rent a house in Udon Thani, unfortunately, I am unable to find any contacts or agents, and after having travelled around town for a few days, I feel there must be an easier way trying to find a suitable property.

Anyone with any suggestions!

Esbkk

Thelocals tell me that the mosquitos outside town carry malaria, be careful up there.

And the Mekong is teeming with Naga..................Get real, Freddie.

Look on the Danish Bakery website on the main page of thaivisa.com and you'll find a link toan agency renting property round that neck of Isaan, Hope this helps.

Best way to find a house here is to send the girlie out to look first and fine one. Get her to establish the price also BEFORE they see YOU. The price will double when that happens, so get it sorted before hand. Good Luck

I've just done that.

She's found 4 or five but...bless her, she hasn't been able to find a decently priced one with aircon AND shower AND fully firnished. "Honey......You difficult!"

Theres a town house (3 floors) with all mod cons but they want BKK prices, 3 months deposit and a months rent down.....dream on.

And what is it with all rooms are bedrooms with bathroom??? Get a 4 room place (equivelent of 3 bed apartment) and you get 4 bathrooms.

Hi All -

I want to rent a house in Udon Thani, unfortunately, I am unable to find any contacts or agents, and after having travelled around town for a few days, I feel there must be an easier way trying to find a suitable property.

Anyone with any suggestions!

Esbkk

Hire a motor bike and send the girly off while you sit in the bar and have a chang.

She can find them but you need to inspect them.

Theres a town house (3 floors) with all mod cons but they want BKK prices, 3 months deposit and a months rent down.....dream on.

Thats the problem, it isnt Bkk, so you will have a problem finding everything you want in one house here. As regards the deposit, you are lucky they are only asking for 3 months Dep. A lot of them here are demanding 6 and 12 months rent UP FRONT. As you say.dream on, but the problem is, they seem to be getting it, as decent places dont seem to be available for that long.

Now you know how trustworthy everybody is here so no problem there.... :D:o

Hi All -

Will give FBI a call and see what he will come up with - been driving around for a few days without finding anything, no "for rent" signs anywhere.

I was surprised, not even one farang-type of condo in sight!

Thanks to all of you.

esbkk

As regards the deposit, you are lucky they are only asking for 3 months Dep. A lot of them here are demanding 6 and 12 months rent UP FRONT. As you say.dream on, but the problem is, they seem to be getting it, as decent places dont seem to be available for that long.

Now you know how trustworthy everybody is here so no problem there.... :D  :o

Well....first point, it has got to be cheaper than a hotel or B&B otherwise I'll stay in a hotel.

Second point, I don't know if I want to stay in Udon for 6 or 12 months so I am not prepared to pay everything in advance! Usually asking for that much up front is because they cannot get the tennants for long term and so try to ensure an income regardless if the person moves out. Trust (or lack of it) works both ways and I'm not going to trust a landlord with that much of my cash in one go)

The decent places probably do go quick but from what my missus says they also come up again quick leading me to further believe that the landlords have issues with long term rents.

The place that I told you about has been around for 2 months. The landlord has requested that I "should come and see how lovely it is" and "we an talk about rent".

I respectfully declined saying that it was probably exactly what I needed but the conditions of rental were unacceptable...she still wants me to come and see it but from my point of view the starting point is too high for negotiation.

If they seem to be getting the prices then there must be many farang in Udon since they are the only ones that can afford these prices.

I would welcome your thoughts on a "reasonable" price for.....lets say

3 bedroom, kitchen, dining room, 1 or 2 floor house/flat with aircon in all rooms fully firnished.

3 bedroom, kitchen, dining room, 1 or 2 floor house/flat with aircon in all rooms fully firnished.

ThaiAd.

My comments on Thai landlords being "trustworthy" were very much tongue in cheek. I have NEVER been able to get my deposit monies back in full here. They dont seem to need a reason, they just know that the legal hassle involved is just not worth it, and so you need to regard ANY deposit paid as being an extra rent.

Be careful also that the person that you are dealing with is the actual owner, and not the outgoing tenant out to make a few bob, before doing a runner without paying the landlord anything. Has happened!

With regard to the house you described, you will be very fortunate to find such a house here at any price. Maybe in the top rental bracket perhaps, but as I say be prepared to have to pay up front at least 3-6 months rent. Air-con in ALL rooms is impossible to find, and furniture.....never seen fully furnished. Part maybe but never full. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest IT Manager
As regards the deposit, you are lucky they are only asking for 3 months Dep. A lot of them here are demanding 6 and 12 months rent UP FRONT. As you say.dream on, but the problem is, they seem to be getting it, as decent places dont seem to be available for that long.

Now you know how trustworthy everybody is here so no problem there.... :D   :o

Well....first point, it has got to be cheaper than a hotel or B&B otherwise I'll stay in a hotel.

Second point, I don't know if I want to stay in Udon for 6 or 12 months so I am not prepared to pay everything in advance! Usually asking for that much up front is because they cannot get the tennants for long term and so try to ensure an income regardless if the person moves out. Trust (or lack of it) works both ways and I'm not going to trust a landlord with that much of my cash in one go)

The decent places probably do go quick but from what my missus says they also come up again quick leading me to further believe that the landlords have issues with long term rents.

The place that I told you about has been around for 2 months. The landlord has requested that I "should come and see how lovely it is" and "we an talk about rent".

I respectfully declined saying that it was probably exactly what I needed but the conditions of rental were unacceptable...she still wants me to come and see it but from my point of view the starting point is too high for negotiation.

If they seem to be getting the prices then there must be many farang in Udon since they are the only ones that can afford these prices.

We needed to rent a small cottage in the village which had gone tenant-less for a year just up the soi from us.

The lady actually came and offered it to us for more than what we pay now.

Negotiation was begun at her ask with 3 months down and first month.

Finished with our wanted price but paid in 3 monthly blocks. No telephone no airconditioning, 1 bathroom 2 bedrooms.

We spent about 90,000 building a new back on it (new bathroom and new kitchen and dining room). She then asked us to amend the lease...downwards.

She said we had made it very beautiful and it would be good for her in the long term. Also our three year lease... she amended it to 5, with option to buy and 10% of rent paid deducted from the purchase price agreed that day, and applicable in 5 years.

Yes..true..can't trust a single one of them can you?

No wonder it's called the Land of Smiles B)