Pattaya Criticism Is Totally Unjustified.

sokal

Pattaya has good restaurants and hotels apart from that I find it's Thailands version of Blackpool/Benidorm.

Now that I've lit the blue touch paper I'll stand back and enjoy the fireworks. :)

Didnt think the east side was anything like Blackpool.

You are very clever saying that a seaside resort is similar to other seaside resorts,you need to go on mastermind

I'll pass on that one. :D

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's good and bad in both, the bad outweighs the good for me. Whether it's being treated like a wallet rather than a human, huge amounts of dumbass drunken tourists, or the sex industry spilling out into the street. But that doesn't mean that everyone is scum who lives there, no matter their nationality. I decide with my wallet and my feet, but that doesn't mean I need to get on the internet and sway people to join me, I'm a big boy I can make my own decisions.

I get what you're saying. Phuket really isn't that different from Pattaya, much of the same as anywhere in Thailand.

At least in Pattaya there's no trying to pass it off as a holiday paradise. The beach and water in Pattaya sucks though.

I was at Ko Chang recently. The White Sands beach was nowhere to be seen, hotels all the way and only access trough a small alley. It's like this everywhere in Thailand the tourists go. There was the same mix of Pattaya mongers and package tourists as in Phuket. Even plenty of bar girls. Now, I'm no saint myself, but dissapointed with the praise that Ko Chang gets when it's really the same mix of cheap copy goods and hookers as everywhere else.

So where exactly are these 'bounty' beaches left in Thailand?

OP:

"I just got back from Phuket and I can honestly say that I was disapointed. Patong beach is small, there basically one small shopping mall, there is gravel roads everywhere. The roads are bumpy. Chairs on the beach are 100 bht each ! Phuket does seem to get a free pass though. You can go there or live there without being regarded as scum like you do if you like Pattaya. Phuket has nice beaches though, I will admit that.

Pattaya has 3 big shopping centeres, one is huge and brand new. The skyline is full of nice towers. Phuket has basically one. The prices for everything are way cheaper in Pattaya. Way more resturant chains in Pattaya, not so in Phuket.

This is no knock on Phuket, I like it too but why does Pattaya have such a bad rep ? "

Well, having visited Phuket first, a long long time ago and only a few years later Pattaya I have to say that if "we" are starting to compare both with the number of shopping malls it's time to move on.

Phuket, and Patong beach was a virgin and very wide beach (but I haven't been back for a long time and don't know what the Tsunami did to the beach) without large girlie bars like the ones in Pattaya.

Pattaya beach is actually not a beach (IMO) but a few meters of sand next to a very busy and noisy street. :) Jomtien is a beach, overcrowded with millions of very ugly beach chairs and Parasols....how ugly can a beach become...?

It's impossible to invent a more ugly beach than Jomtien's.

Also, Phuket island is stunningly beautiful in it's interior and there are many many nice spots all along the coast and on it's hilly interior.

No comparison possible unless you value a hot noisy tourist spot on it's shopping centers and chains of restaurants like McDonalds and Kentucky Fried Chicken :D ....Don't you have enough of those in your own country ?

But, I wouldn't go back to Hat Patong for all the money in the world or sit myself on Pattaya/Jomtien beach also.

Spoiled and destroyed forever.... :D

LaoPo

why does Pattaya have such a bad rep ?

Why do you think?

As far as one being better than the other - Pattaya v Patong - they're both similar, but comparing Phuket Island as a whole to Pattaya is not really fair on the latter as it is simply a featureless beach backed by a characterless town. Phuket has loads of nice beaches, a hilly interior and an interesting old town. The only things that drag it down are the rampant rip-offs and parts of Patong. Apart from Koh Larn you have to travel right out of Pattaya to experience anything similar, although if you're just looking for the totty none of the above would concern the blinkered sexpat.

You can call Pattaya a lot of things but characterless it is not. There are plenty of unsavory characters in Pattaya but also quite a few good ones. Pattaya really does get a lot of unjust criticism in my opinion as it really is what you make of it. You could go there and do the sleaziest things or you could go there and simply shop, go to outlying beaches, lounge by a hotel at a great price, cheap movies, very good infrastructure, check out temple of truth, crocodile farms, go carts, etc. In many ways it has much more to offer than Phuket in a more convenient and cost effective package.

As per Phuket you really need to do a bit of travel to get to great beaches as well (Krabi, etc.). Although the countryside around Phuket is much nicer in my opinion. However, if you avoid many of the sleazy areas of Pattaya or take them in small quantities it can be a decent getaway. There really is no better "bang for the buck" one way or the other. :)

Didnt bother reading the rest of the posts Phuket is the ass of thailand, massage parlour back to back with restaraunts nothing in between whats the point ???!!!!! Pattaya is a little harsher on the wallet and liver but there is no competition when it comes to having a good time!

I don't see Phuket getting a free pass. I'm certainly not the only one to express my dislike for the place. Pattaya may be a circus, but it's got a Mardi Gras kind of atmosphere and is pretty honest about itself. Phuket tries to present itself as a world class destination but is dirty, overpriced, and scam-ridden. I would never choose to live in either of them TBH. If you are looking for what Pattaya has to offer, then nobody does it better than Pattaya. If you want nice beaches there are tons of places along the Andaman Coast that are superior to Phuket without the problems that have befouled it in the last decade or so.

It's like this everywhere in Thailand the tourists go.

For those who have the "herd mentality" perhaps.

Everywhere in Thailand that the tourists don't go?

Lots of nice beaches in Thailand .. both side. But you have to make an effort to reach them. And .. probably forgo the often accustomed nightlife of babe 'n booze. Although, booze is usually nearby.

On the gulf side, south of Prachuap pretty much (intermittently) all the way to Surat Thani .. then south and some of the beaches in NST. On the Andaman, one of the most beautiful beaches I can remember is at Thai Muang in Phangnga .. then Khaolak and Pakwib, etc.

I don't see Phuket getting a free pass. I'm certainly not the only one to express my dislike for the place. Pattaya may be a circus, but it's got a Mardi Gras kind of atmosphere and is pretty honest about itself. Phuket tries to present itself as a world class destination but is dirty, overpriced, and scam-ridden. I would never choose to live in either of them TBH. If you are looking for what Pattaya has to offer, then nobody does it better than Pattaya. If you want nice beaches there are tons of places along the Andaman Coast that are superior to Phuket without the problems that have befouled it in the last decade or so.

cdnvic pretty much wrapped it all up in a nutshell.

I love Pattaya... warts and all. I dislike Patong on Phuket but the outlying beaches are nice. I just found Phuket over priced for what you can get elsewhere in Thailand. I visited some friends for a week in Pattaya and we didn't go to the girly bars once, but we went out dining every night. If you like golf there are over 25 great courses within easy reach. You get picked up at your hotel in the morning and dropped back in the evening.

If you want to see what beaches are available in Thailand there is a picture thread just on that very subject in the Photography forum.

However, I also agree that if you are married then it's unlikely your wife will let you visit Pattaya on your own. Its reputation is justified.

"Pattaya has 3 big shopping centeres, one is huge and brand new. The skyline is full of nice towers. Phuket has basically one. The prices for everything are way cheaper in Pattaya. Way more resturant chains in Pattaya, not so in Phuket."

Is this what you think is special about Thailand and Pattaya?  3 shopping malls, a couple of hirises, and a plethora of restaurant chains?  Is this supposed to impress your parents?  Is this what impresses you?  

Didnt bother reading the rest of the posts Phuket is the ass of thailand, massage parlour back to back with restaraunts nothing in between whats the point ???!!!!! Pattaya is a little harsher on the wallet and liver but there is no competition when it comes to having a good time!

You got that wrong. Phuket costs more then Pattaya. I was reading a blog on some hedge fund operators. They think nothing of going to Phuket for some 2 dollar daquiries but they would never go to Pattaya.

Anyone who thinks the beaches in Phuket are the ass of Thailand then Thailand must have one fine ass.

OP:

"I just got back from Phuket and I can honestly say that I was disapointed. Patong beach is small, there basically one small shopping mall, there is gravel roads everywhere. The roads are bumpy. Chairs on the beach are 100 bht each ! Phuket does seem to get a free pass though. You can go there or live there without being regarded as scum like you do if you like Pattaya. Phuket has nice beaches though, I will admit that.

Pattaya has 3 big shopping centeres, one is huge and brand new. The skyline is full of nice towers. Phuket has basically one. The prices for everything are way cheaper in Pattaya. Way more resturant chains in Pattaya, not so in Phuket.

This is no knock on Phuket, I like it too but why does Pattaya have such a bad rep ? "

Well, having visited Phuket first, a long long time ago and only a few years later Pattaya I have to say that if "we" are starting to compare both with the number of shopping malls it's time to move on.

Phuket, and Patong beach was a virgin and very wide beach (but I haven't been back for a long time and don't know what the Tsunami did to the beach) without large girlie bars like the ones in Pattaya.

Pattaya beach is actually not a beach (IMO) but a few meters of sand next to a very busy and noisy street. :) Jomtien is a beach, overcrowded with millions of very ugly beach chairs and Parasols....how ugly can a beach become...?

It's impossible to invent a more ugly beach than Jomtien's.

Also, Phuket island is stunningly beautiful in it's interior and there are many many nice spots all along the coast and on it's hilly interior.

No comparison possible unless you value a hot noisy tourist spot on it's shopping centers and chains of restaurants like McDonalds and Kentucky Fried Chicken :D ....Don't you have enough of those in your own country ?

But, I wouldn't go back to Hat Patong for all the money in the world or sit myself on Pattaya/Jomtien beach also.

Spoiled and destroyed forever.... :D

LaoPo

How many crocodile Dundee's do we have on this thread ?

I like having a place to lay on the beach with some shade and some service.

:)

If you like such a place on the beach maybe Jomtien is just the place for you; you will face "service" every 1-3 minutes, varying from Bananas to Coconuts, ice cream, massage, pedicure, manicure, birds-to-set-free, Pineapple slices, Mango's, hot dogs, fried rice......I'm sure I forgot a dozen or two of other "services they're willing to serve you with....speaking about irritations during a nice day on the beach...... :D

LaoPo

Today I came across 3 new condo developments having sales. Thats fairly good demand for an embarrassing filthy pit.

BTW I aw writing this from the free internet servics at Insonia nigtht club on walking street.

Your blatant 'consumerism' is starting to show.

Phuket costs more then than Pattaya. I was reading a blog on some hedge fund operators. They think nothing of going to Phuket for some 2 dollar daquiries but they would never go to Pattaya.

Anyone who thinks the beaches in Phuket are the ass of Thailand then Thailand must have one fine ass.

...or they have never seen a 'real' beach before (most likely).

Make up your mind...Phuket or Pattaya?

BTW, an 'ass' is a small horse. I think you mean 'arse'.

Basically, all you have said equates to 'money' & blatant consumerism. If you like 'new condo developments', 'free internet services', 'big shopping centres', 'a skyline is full of nice towers' & 'restaurant chains', why on earth are you talking about Pattaya?

I went to Pattaya and Jomtiem once and thought it was gross: dirty, crowded beaches, rammed with hookers and lairy tourists.

I went to Patong once and thought it was an upmarket version of Pattaya. Just as tacky/sleazy but had more money spent on it and didn't look as shagged out.

The other Phuket beaches north and south of Patong are some of my favourite in Thailand.

I think Pattaya is so in your face anyone who chooses to live there out of the whole of Thailand is understandably if not justifiably going to be tarred with a certain kind of brush. To choose to live there seems like such an extreme statement to make to me but like I said I've only been there once.

So anyone who goes to Las Vegas is also scum ? what about Vancouver or Holland ?

True, I could show you pictures of the scum in Vancouver that are worse than what I've ever seen in Pattaya. Next time I'm in the east end of Vancouver, or in sections of the city center, I'll take some pictures to show what I mean. There are Lots of druggies and street people. Same with our Provincial capital of Victoria. What Vancouver and Victoria DOESN'T have is friendly open air bars where strangers sit comfortably yacking at each other for the price of a Singa, and possibly a drink for the pretty lady beside you. There are more hookers in Las Vegas than in Pattaya, but they are a LOT more expensive as well.

It all depends on what a person enjoys. As far as shopping is concerned, and available, reasonably priced accommodation, then Pattaya has Phuket beaten hands down. If you discount Koh Larn Island near Pattaya, Phuket Island has by far the better of the beaches. Just bypass Patong for one of the many others. I like Laem Sing beach myself.

Personally, I prefer Ao Nang beach near Krabi to either Pattaya or Phuket, but Pattaya has far more to offer in the form of night life. If it is just beaches you want then go to the photography forum on tv and check out that topic.

Although it offers a lot of options for shopping and nighlife, I find Bangkok just too big and too difficult to get around to make it enjoyable staying there. I much prefer Chiang Mai.

It depends on what offends you. Some find "druggies'' and "street people" (i.e homeless people) offensive, others find old men with young women (obviously - clear throat - prossies) hanging off their arm, offensive.

As you say, Western countries don't have bars where "strangers sit comfortably yacking at each other for the price of a Singa, and possibly a drink for the pretty lady beside you" - they will have strangers yacking at each other, but not the "pretty lady" beside them - its illegal and not acceptable to the rest of the customers.....

I'll take your word for it that there are more hookers in Las Vegas than Pattaya.

IMO Phuket is turning into Pattaya. It used to be just Patong, but times are changing. Other areas have the same (clear throat again..) problems.

It depends on what offends you. Some find "druggies'' and "street people" (i.e homeless people) offensive, others find old men with young women (obviously - clear throat - prossies) hanging off their arm, offensive.

As you say, Western countries don't have bars where "strangers sit comfortably yacking at each other for the price of a Singa, and possibly a drink for the pretty lady beside you" - they will have strangers yacking at each other, but not the "pretty lady" beside them - its illegal and not acceptable to the rest of the customers.....

I'll take your word for it that there are more hookers in Las Vegas than Pattaya.

IMO Phuket is turning into Pattaya. It used to be just Patong, but times are changing. Other areas have the same (clear throat again..) problems.

Why do YOU personally find older men with young women offensive? Do you feel threatened? They are not affecting you one bit. What goes on between adults is only THEIR concern. And, the prostitutes won't bother you one bit if you enter the premises where they work. They are pleasant to everyone... women included. Lots of my friends bring their wives or girl friends to the bar and they all have a great time playing pool or watching the game on TV. At least the staff at a Thai bar are providing a necessary service not found in many homes.

If I have a problem with the druggies and street people in Canada it's because I have to PAY to look after them. In Canada a person has a CHOICE whether to be rich or poor. With a few exceptions (those with medical conditions from birth), it's totally up to the individual. There is work for those that want to work. There is free medical and free education and free libraries. There are social programs (that I pay for with my taxes) to help the poor with food and accommodation, and to get back into the work force.

The main problem with the druggies is they have to steal to support their habit. And, pimps get young girls hooked on drugs so they'll make money for the pimp. Asian countries such as Thailand do not have social programs. You either work, starve, or your immediate family looks after you.

Unless you bring your company with you, most bars in North America are boring. That's not the case in Thailand. I seldom ever go to a bar in Canada unless I'm with a friend after an all day fishing trip.

Tutt tutt! F1, you left yourself wide open. I suggest an immediate backpedal. :)

Haven't read every post so don't know if it has been mentioned but.. Phuket certainly gets no free pass on this site at least. There must be hundreds of posts on this site talking about how expensive, spoiled, filthy, crooked, Phuket is. I always got the opinion that people slag off Pattaya for the girls but that is the reason people go there, well of course along with the boys.

Phuket gets slagged off and is becoming pretty much like Pattaya but doesn't boast the abundance of sex. I do not consider the availability of sex as a negative thing but some might so it is perception.

I actually don't care for either place and just spend time in Thailand for transit purposes and a short stay if I have to come through. Although I am in Pattaya right now and given the choice I prefer it here now to Phuket. I lived in Phuket for nearly two years and the place pretty much sucks.

I think that all the tourist who go to Pattaya and Puhket and then return home don't have a clue as to what Thailand is all about!

They are not seeing a wonderful country!

I have spent plenty of time all over Thailand. I find the provinces to be boring. I can speak Thai and read it but the backwaters are boring. I would rather be at a beach resort than sitting in some tin shack drinking lao kao in nakhon whogivafuk.

Village life is cool for a short stay sometimes but I have seen it and the villages get to pretty much be like temples, if you have seen one you have seen them all. I do concede people in the countryside are much nicer though. If the country attitude was present in the resorts it would be great. It was more like that once upon a life time ago.

What you are saying is like saying if people don't visit some really awful hick towns in the USA and choose to stay in more cosmopolitan settings such as SF, NYC, Seattle etc. then they haven't seen the 'real' USA. You could be right but we call the places in between the flyover states why would you need to see those with the exception of some national parks?

Edited by anotheruser

What you are saying is like saying if people don't visit some really awful hick towns in the USA and choose to stay in more cosmopolitan settings such as SF, NYC, Seattle etc. then they haven't seen the 'real' USA.

I would agree with that, too. :) (If you visit the USA and only go to Vegas and Disneyland, then you haven't seen the USA, however without denying that these places are an intrinsic part of the USA. )

Also consider however that not everyone travels to a country with an anthropological mindset, or the deep desire to understand the country, culture and people. :D Can't blame people for just wanting to take the kids to Disneyland and fly out, without a thorough tour of the desert towns, can you? :D

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I think that all the tourist who go to Pattaya and Puhket and then return home don't have a clue as to what Thailand is all about!

They are not seeing a wonderful country!

I have spent plenty of time all over Thailand. I find the provinces to be boring. I can speak Thai and read it but the backwaters are boring. I would rather be at a beach resort than sitting in some tin shack drinking lao kao in nakhon whogivafuk.

Village life is cool for a short stay sometimes but I have seen it and the villages get to pretty much be like temples, if you have seen one you have seen them all. I do concede people in the countryside are much nicer though. If the country attitude was present in the resorts it would be great. It was more like that once upon a life time ago.

What you are saying is like saying if people don't visit some really awful hick towns in the USA and choose to stay in more cosmopolitan settings such as SF, NYC, Seattle etc. then they haven't seen the 'real' USA. You could be right but we call the places in between the flyover states why would you need to see those with the exception of some national parks?

Good point, and just like Winnie I agree with you. But, until you've actually SEEN those places you can't really say you know North America. I've knocked around in some desolate places in North America and come up with some gems. Same in Thailand. It takes a year in one small city like Chiang Mai to just barely get to know it. I've spent lots of time in Pattaya and Phuket and yet I still don't really know all the neat places. That is why it's nice to know locals who can show you. We all tend to be creatures of habit and don't stray far from our comfort zone. And, we all have likes and dislikes. Single people usually want something different than married people. Same is true for the young and the old.

Automatic assumption by some members of this community, that a farang who lives in Pattaya is a gangster, wanted in their own countries, up to no good scum bag..

Funny that's what I hear about Phuket too.

:)

If you like such a place on the beach maybe Jomtien is just the place for you; you will face "service" every 1-3 minutes, varying from Bananas to Coconuts, ice cream, massage, pedicure, manicure, birds-to-set-free, Pineapple slices, Mango's, hot dogs, fried rice......I'm sure I forgot a dozen or two of other "services they're willing to serve you with....speaking about irritations during a nice day on the beach...... :D

LaoPo

They come and go fast and don't bother you if you are sleeping or at least appear to be resting, for me anyways.

Today I came across 3 new condo developments having sales. Thats fairly good demand for an embarrassing filthy pit.

BTW I aw writing this from the free internet servics at Insonia nigtht club on walking street.

Your blatant 'consumerism' is starting to show.

Phuket costs more then than Pattaya. I was reading a blog on some hedge fund operators. They think nothing of going to Phuket for some 2 dollar daquiries but they would never go to Pattaya.

...or they have never seen a 'real' beach before (most likely).

Make up your mind...Phuket or Pattaya?

BTW, an 'ass' is a small horse. I think you mean 'arse'.

Basically, all you have said equates to 'money' & blatant consumerism. If you like 'new condo developments', 'free internet services', 'big shopping centres', 'a skyline is full of nice towers' & 'restaurant chains', why on earth are you talking about Pattaya?

Ok, crocodile Dundee. I like the lively atmosphere. I bet most people that listen to you about Pattaya probably think its some run down shanty town with dirt roads where you go to meet women in cages. My point is that it is not.

Automatic assumption by some members of this community, that a farang who lives in Pattaya is a gangster, wanted in their own countries, up to no good scum bag..

Funny that's what I hear about Phuket too.

See ? this is the BS that I am talking about.

The other day I seen a farang tourist family with 2 kids. One was a 13 year old girl. She had a shirt on that said " I love Pattaya ". These where just regular people just going to Thailand and they must have had a good time in Pattaya, otherwise she would not be wearing that shirt.

So are any of the regular people that buy these condo's just delusional about the reputation of the place or is the reputation of Pattaya the worst on forums like this ?