Non-immigrant Visa , Type O, From Uk, To Thailand

i was advised by the birmingham thai consulate in the UK, that they can only issue non-imm type o visa's to people over 50, or if you are married to a thai person. the only other way they can issue this type of visa is if i find someone who can stand as guarantor. so even if i am visiting my thai girlfriend, the only way i will be able to enter thailand is on a 60 day toutist visa. i guess this is correct?

Different consulates issue different types of visas/have different requirements. You can obtain 12 month Non-O visa on basis of visiting friends from the honorary consulate at Hull by post. Send in passport, recent passport sized photo, application form and fee.

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/downloads-and-visas.aspx

ok thanks, so i guess it is important to shop around

Just to give you some idea, I went with the Hull consolate for my multiple entry type O visa and got it no problem. I'm 27, was not asked for proof of money and just had to fill out a simple form stating my purpose (in this case 'seek work') and that was that. I sent it off Tuesday morning around 11 by special delivery to get there for 9am yesterday. I got my passport back today with the visa stamped on the first page of my passport. No problem! Except for the total amount I paid of around £120...

But yes, Hull I would recommend. I was expecting them to question my funds, but it wasn't an issue, which is lucky, because I'm going over there with very little to find a job.

So long as you fill everything out correctly, you'll be fine. Good luck! :)

You will not get asked "proof of money" as you are in your home country.

This is asked at embassies and consulates that are not YOUR home country.

The price has gone up a bit but if you don't like it stay in UK.

You most surly can be asked for proof of funds in your home country - it is a requirement of both Immigration and Ministry of Foreign Affairs for issue of a visa or entry into Thailand that you be able to show the required 10-40k amount when asked. It is true that most Consulates do not ask or that Immigration checks - but they can; and some do.

Deal with the Thai Consulate in Hull they are extremely efficient and helpful and you will get your Non Imm O there without any problem, I've done so many times in the past. Use the postal special service (has to be signed for) and you should get your passport with visa back 3 days after you've sent it.

The price has gone up a bit but if you don't like it stay in UK.

I don't think anyone in their right mind 'likes' paying £100 to have a stamp inviting you to stay in a Country, it's just something we have to do, unfortunately. But maybe you like extortion?

Like I say, I sent mine off Tuesday around 11am to get there for 9am Wednesday, and got it back Thursday by 1pm - Hull are obviously very efficient and helpful.

Their form does not require any proof you have the funds, just a signature agreeing that you have enough for your stay. In my case this is good, because if asked for proof, I would have a hard time doing so - since my stay is largely being funded by a close friend whilst I get myself set up in Thailand.

But, like has been suggested - this may be something that gets asked at Immigration. I hope not, because I have no way to prove this as the money is not in my own bank account but rather a Thai national's account, instead.

Anyway, good luck with your application, I'm sure you'll have no problems.

Edited by DavidSL

The immigration requirement is to be able to show 20,000 baht of funds for living costs when entering on Non-Immigrant visa entry, but is very rarely asked for (unless they suspect something) so do not worry.

Thanks thaiphoon, I'm not too worried about it at the moment, I'm more concerned with the situation in Bangkok improving (both selfishly and for my friends who are there, as well as all the good Thai folk, of course!)!

As for the funds issue, if I am questioned, then I will call my friend who is taking care of the 'funding' of my stay, and hopefully they can sort something out (she is a respectable Thai girl who has a good job, so I hope that helps!) Failing that, I will cry!

Use Hull, send by special delivery and include one of those see through prepaid and addressed envelopes for the return of your passport, send monday they receive nad send back to you Tuesday, you receive Wednesday, but must be signed for. it was about £90.00 plus the cost of the two special delivery envelopes, prices may of gone up. just looked on the web site - http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/downloads-and-visas.aspx but was unable to download the pdf files for some reason. have used them before both by mail and personal visit which is £10.00 extra but an appointment must be made. all the best