How Are The Troubles In Bangkok Effecting You Personally.

dvdlock

Double edged sword for me - the up side is that the Mrs can't get to Siam Paragon, Central World or Pratunam, the down side is that I can't get to my favourite watering holes around Silom for the time being.

More seriously though, whichever 'side' one takes (if any), this is a desperately sad state of affairs and my wife and I are somewhat anxious about what the future holds for us and our young son in Thailand. Exit strategy on the back burner. :)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not been able to sell our house yet and unlikely with current events-would you buy at the moment.?.

No, we are not contemplating leaving, simply downsizing. And when we sell we will probably buy again. Love it here despite all the problems.

my problem is that i have a gf who is actively involved in this mess in bkk ,she decided to come home last week thinking it was nearly over but now her and some friends are traveling down to bkk again .

I have said my bit to her and i am not happy about it but i have lived with her 6 years an when she makes up her mind that's it .

cheers.

my problem is that i have a gf who is actively involved in this mess in bkk ,she decided to come home last week thinking it was nearly over but now her and some friends are traveling down to bkk again .

I have said my bit to her and i am not happy about it but i have lived with her 6 years an when she makes up her mind that's it .

cheers.

oh!! Then I have a request: On this forum just about anything the protesters do or don't do gets dismissed as it being just for the money handouts. Can you confirm first-hand if (and how much) money/compensation/expenses/whatever is being paid?

I live and work in BKK and this is affecting me directly. I have a volunteer travel organisation and my work brings volunteers from around the world to help the poor rural communities in Isaan. My enquiry figures have dropped through the floor and all but the very hardy and experienced volunteers are delaying or cancelling.

Ironic isn't it. My work brings people to help those who are directly affecting my organisation!

Will never leave BKK though. Despite the current mess, life is all good. The vast majority of people are still smiling, the sun still shines, the food is great and the cost of living still low. Long may that continue.

I myself am currenly living abroad, for a few more months, but my wife and my nearly 2-year-old son live upcountry in Isan. They're not bothered by it at all. She is not interested in red/yellow or any politics, doesn't watch or read the news, even though being a farmer's daughter. As far as I know her relatives don't support the reds.

I'm sorry for everyone who is emotionally affected by this state of affairs. Hopefully someday Thailand will become a peaceful country again, turning away from neoliberal capitalism (which is based on greed and only leads to problems, that cannot be solved) and embracing The King's self-sufficiency economy.

I live in Nana area. I usually take BTS to go to work at Silom. Now BTS stations in the center are all closed. I have to take a taxi now and go via highway. Instead of paying 20 baht for the BTS ticket, I pay 130 for a taxi now. :)

You are lying about the cost of a taxi. its not possible for a taxi from nana to silom to cost 130 baht unless you sit in traffic for 6 hours each trip. Yes, that just happened. Boom! :D

The Mrs. had a meeting today at Suk soi 35. In order to get back to the office in Lad Phrao, she had to take a barge across some smelly khlong, take a tuk tuk to RCA, take motosai from there up Ratchada to LP.

NO taxis in sight.

I am scheduled to fly home to BKK on the 31st. This mess is affecting my wife's business. Very few jobs coming through. The yellow boys already cost her over a million in business and now this.

I wish everybody would just go home and get on with their lives.

Just like I want to... :)

I love being home with my wife.

The Mrs. had a meeting today at Suk soi 35. In order to get back to the office in Lad Phrao, she had to take a barge across some smelly khlong, take a tuk tuk to RCA, take motosai from there up Ratchada to LP.

NO taxis in sight.

I am scheduled to fly home to BKK on the 31st. This mess is affecting my wife's business. Very few jobs coming through. The yellow boys already cost her over a million in business and now this.

Just like I want to... :D

Something not adding up here. Your wife lost a million from the yellow shirts but doesn't own an automobile? And she is incapable of picking up a phone and requesting a Taxi? And there were no taxis around? :)

As long as all GoGo Bars are not closed i give a shit about the Reds and Yellows and Soldiers and all this BS! :)

I bet the girl in your avatar would rather the go-gos were closed unless she works in one.

NO taxis in sight.

Just like I want to... :)

BS, I have my office on Shuk 35 and no problems there, or your Wf is working in 1 of the bars there, where taxi's tend not to stop anyway, was that her 1000.000 baht bussines

She does own an automobile, sir. A very fine black Audi S6. Which she did not want to risk in THAT area. DO you enjoy sitting in traffic on Suk?

I know you were only having a friendly poke, but really, try containing the cynic in you.

Going to Thailand arriving late Sunday/early Monday.......was planning to go to the area where the protests are to request her police records or good conduct etc... for the visa.....just hoping the airport is left alone

Is this a trick question?

Gee, where do I start?

The 2-3-hour commutes which normally take 40 minutes? Nah...

The Hitler sounding red channel that my in-law use to listen to in my house because the wife said to 'be nice'? Ummmm...nah. (Oh, but thank you government for shuttin' that crap off for me. Shall I pay extra taxes for this awesome service?)

The fact that my customers are canceling work contracts on account of ALL their guests have been scared off? nuh-uh.

The baht being too fricken' strong? ok, maybe a little effect.

The fact that we grown-ups look totally stupid and mindless in front of our children because we can't solve our differences peacefully? Ok, getting warmer....

The fact that my friends overseas criticize me for living in Thailand, "such an uncivilized, 3rd world country..." and the fact that I spend hours trying to convince them otherwise? Yes..negative effect.

The fact that the dear royals have totally lost face in this mess for representing a country where its people fight like a bunch of school kids in the yard? Yes...negative.

The fact that we live now in a totally useless society where the government is crippled, the armed forces and police can't protect you, the armed forces and police don't do their jobs nor give a hoot, and everyone treats foreigners like they don't belong here in situations like these? That sucks.

Like the terrible soap operas on Thailand TV, this drama is a mindless waste of time, money, and energy.

Like the terrible soap operas on Thailand TV, this drama is a mindless waste of time, money, and energy.

talking of money, what I don't understand is - when stock markets around the world crashed today (or are currently crashing), the Thai SET went up 0.29%.

it seems ROW doesn't think this violence is a long-term problem, in the great scheme of things. Strange.

Living in the suburb of Min Buri my day-to-day life hasn't been affected at all. But adding to the embarrassment of living here already (many people in the West think only pedophiles and whoremongers live here), now people really think that I must be either one or the other because why on earth wouldn't I live a place that's on the brink of collapse. It must be a sexual addiction, they say.

Meanwhile, my Thai wife still thinks this is the best place on earth and won't move. If I could kidnap the children and get them the HELLL out I would.

I've lived here for six years and Thailand has gotten worse with each passing year. I see no progress and now after watching the yellow shirts and now the reds holding the country hostage I understand the puerile mentality of Thais both educated and not. It's mob mentality.

Lost all respect for the people of this country and am trying to find a way to get my children OUT.

Edited by snaggletooth

Like the OP, I'm concerned about this, too. Perhaps concerned is an inappropriate term to use in light of the seriousness of these events - but like the OP I have a planned move for next week. I'll be living a fair way from the riots (as they currently sit), but over here flights are now starting to be cancelled due to the recent events. My flight is next Friday, and I'm really starting to worry that I'm not going to get to come over if this goes much further. I can see that the majority of you are managing to get by without any serious issues to your own personal well-being, but I guess what me and the OP are saying is, is it worth us being there at all? Are you all fleeing in terror, is there a need to consider that for the future? I don't think there is an answer for the last question at the moment - but I am growing concerned. I have friends in Bangkok at the moment, and as much as I'd like to think they'd give me honest answers, I think the fact that they want me there might overrule any sensible thoughts for the future of Bangkok at this time.

Edited by DavidSL

Like the OP, I'm concerned about this, too. Perhaps concerned is an inappropriate term to use in light of the seriousness of these events - but like the OP I have a planned move for next week. I'll be living a fair way from the riots (as they currently sit), but over here flights are now starting to be cancelled due to the recent events. My flight is next Friday, and I'm really starting to worry that I'm not going to get to come over if this goes much further. I can see that the majority of you are managing to get by without any serious issues to your own personal well-being, but I guess what me and the OP are saying is, is it worth us being there at all? Are you all fleeing in terror, is there a need to consider that for the future? I don't think there is an answer for the last question at the moment - but I am growing concerned. I have friends in Bangkok at the moment, and as much as I'd like to think they'd give me honest answers, I think the fact that they want me there might overrule any sensible thoughts for the future of Bangkok at this time.

First off, if you are moving here because your friends "want you here" you're moving for the wrong reason. You have real reasons for moving here. If you are financially secure and can get a job here, it's still okay to come. But don't get tied down. Don't marry and don't have kids. At least in the short term until this plays out.

Right now the politics are iffy here, but one thing is certain, us farangs aren't targets. We are not even a distraction to the factions in this fight. You won't be targeted by either side should this turn into a prolonged fight, either on the streets or underground. The only concern is that the extreme elements of the red movement go underground and start a terrorism campaign -- and idea that is not a far-fetched given their recent track record. Still, I doubt it would ever be on the same scale that Israel used to experience with regular suicide bombings of passenger buses and such.