Farang Begging For Money

Dradam

I have always been very careful about scams. I hear them all the time.

I once had a man come up to me on the street. He told me a sob story about going to Pattaya, dancing with some girls, getting drugged, and robbed of everything.

He told me that he had gone to the British Embassy and they gave him a phone call to have money sent from England. He said he called his mother but so far was unable to get a hold of her.

He asked if he could have some money to help with food or a hotel.

I told him I had a hard time believing his story but that if I was ever in a difficult circumstance I would hope I could have some charity from my fellow man as well.

He told me that he wouldn't lie to me because he was British. That made me laugh.

I gave him my phone number and 2,000 Baht (I am not rich but I am not poor either). I told him where he could get a cheap hotel and that 2,000 Baht should last him a couple days. He promised that he would pay me back as soon as possible. I told him that he didn't really need to.

He calls me the next day. He says the money ran out. He got a hold of his mother but she told him it would take her 3 days to send the money. He asked if I could give him money for 3 more days.

I told him sorry but the money should have lasted more than one day and that his mother could send money faster than 3 days. I told him to beg elsewhere.

Has anyone else met similar situations to this?

I have always been very careful about scams.  I hear them all the time.

I once had a man come up to me on the street.  He told me a sob story about going to Pattaya, dancing with some girls, getting drugged, and robbed of everything.

He told me that he had gone to the British Embassy and they gave him a phone call to have money sent from England.  He said he called his mother but so far was unable to get a hold of her.

He asked if he could have some money to help with food or a hotel.

I told him I had a hard time believing his story but that if I was ever in a difficult circumstance I would hope I could have some charity from my fellow man as well. 

He told me that he wouldn't lie to me because he was British.  That made me laugh.

I gave him my phone number and 2,000 Baht (I am not rich but I am not poor either).  I told him where he could get a cheap hotel and that 2,000 Baht should last him a couple days.  He promised that he would pay me back as soon as possible.  I told him that he didn't really need to.

He calls me the next day.  He says the money ran out.  He got a hold of his mother but she told him it would take her 3 days to send the money.  He asked if I could give him money for 3 more days. 

I told him sorry but the money should have lasted more than one day and that his mother could send money faster than 3 days.  I told him to beg elsewhere.

Has anyone else met similar situations to this?

Yep, about 8 years ago. Just opposite Amari Watergate Hotel in Pratunam a young French guy approached me and gave me a similar story about being robbed of all his money, passport, etc. on the bus up from Koh Samui. Said he'd been to the Embassy, but they couldn't help him with money and he was waiting til parents could send him some. Meanwhile, he had to live, eat, etc.

Knowing it could happen, and putting myself in his position, the better part of my nature wanted to help out. He could have been a scam artist, or he could have been genuine. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and gave him 500 baht - enough to scrape by for a day or two, but not enough to break the bank if he was a scammer. Who knows? :o

Whilst everybody was going on about the poster being cheap on the other thread I made this comment.

The flipside is he was just ripping you off. I have a friend who knows a guy that was professionally begging, he was making 2-3000 a day conning tourists with the "I lost my passport" story.

Nobody seemed to take much notice of it over there, but hear maybe it will ring a bit truer. :o

Whilst everybody was going on about the poster being cheap on the other thread I made this comment.
The flipside is he was just ripping you off. I have a friend who knows a guy that was professionally begging, he was making 2-3000 a day conning tourists with the "I lost my passport" story.

Nobody seemed to take much notice of it over there, but hear maybe it will ring a bit truer. :o

A few years back, while I was having lunch on Beach Road in Pattaya, I watched a street beggar who was really raking it in big time. It surprised me that he was taking in so much. I had passed him earlier. I don't normally give money to street beggars, but there was something about him (eye contact or the way he held out his contorted hand) that made you wanna give. He even had me reaching into my pocket but ... well, he didn't really look disabled at all, I mean I can contort my hand like that.

The story is most likely true. Still don't fall for it. I am very selfish and stingy and I don't feel bad about it. It is not my duty to save the world. In another similar thread somebody said "you never know when you'll be in need". Um, I am too wise to be drugged and robbed. I have no sympathy for those that have fallen into traps.

I once saw a backpacker going to different restaurants offering to wash dishes for whatever reason. I made sure he didn't notce me.

Yep...had a English guy come up to me near the Biayoke Sky and started telling me this big story about no passport, no money, tourist police bought him up from Pattaya, embassy wont help him, he wants to call his mum in England and needs 300 baht for a 12call card.....

I looked him up and down, asked him as to how he had just had a shower if he had just came for Pattaya ( his hair was wet), he said he showered at the police station, I gave him about 20 baht and told him to get a motorcycle taxi back to the embassy !!! I can still remeber the blank look on his face.... :D

10 points for trying I thought.....got a bit annoyed about it later on when I thought about it.... :o

About a year ago there was this scraggy English guy who came up to me and the missus with a 'I got stung by a few BGs' tale. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and 300B.

When I saw him a few days later and he tried the same story I gave the fcuker a boot up the ######.

Yep...had a English guy come up to me near the Biayoke Sky and started telling me this big story about no passport, no money, tourist police bought him up from Pattaya, embassy wont help him, he wants to call his mum in England and needs 300 baht for a 12call card.....

I looked him up and down, asked him as to how he had just had a shower if he had just came for Pattaya ( his hair was wet), he said he showered at the police station, I gave him about 20 baht and told him to get a motorcycle taxi back to the embassy !!! I can still remeber the blank look on his face.... :D

10 points for trying I thought.....got a bit annoyed about it later on when I thought about it.... :D

I had the same experience the guy asked for 300 baht to buy a phone card so i said to him no worries mate i have a phone card with 200 left on it lets go to a phone box and you can borrow the card, mmm for some funny reason he lost interest and told me not worry about it, me thinks he was just trying it on :o

I am reluctant to start a new threat. I just bought VCD meet the fockers from 7/11 I asked if it was english language or dubbed in Thai, they said its english but after playing it is dubbed in thai language.

Is it possible to return to 7/11? It's not a big deal but its not really my fault so i would like to return if it's possible.

I gave him my phone number and 2,000 Baht

I reckon you went a bit far giving him your telephone number.... asking for trouble IMHO.. :o

totster :D

I read it that he gave him the number just in case the guy was genuine and wanted to return the money at some point.

Theres loads of farang scammers out there working the streets. When the bolier rooms closed down they didn't all go home, or form other elaborate enterprises, many just hit the streets with the 'lost passport' story.

Lets face it, easy scam, the guy the OP was talking about made 2000 baht that day from him alone, get a few 300 baht phone card tales in then suddenly that scammer is making 90 k a month. Whats the alterantives for some people, teaching? :D

I am reluctant to start a new threat.  I just bought VCD meet the fockers from 7/11 I asked if it was english language or dubbed in Thai, they said its english but after playing  it is dubbed in thai language.

Is it possible to return to 7/11? It's not a big deal but  its not really my fault so i would like to return if it's possible.

LOL

Amazing how often the scammer is a brit. I knew a dude who befriended some guys at a local bar. He was a penniless school teacher. He hit me up for cash 1st. It was 1000 baht, forgot the excuse. He came back to pay and gave me half, assuring that the rest was coming. He paid promptly. He then borrowed 1000 from 4 different dudes and defaulted on all. One guy got totally screwed cause he went back to his country. He was royally pissed. I think all the others were paid late. After this I get a text msg stating that the dude has been in an accident and the police wanted 12k but he only had 3. I did not come thru for him this time. At the bar none of his friends had heard about the accident. Did not see the dude for a year after that. He showed up with a new friend one day. Check bin came and he comes in from outside head in hand telling new friend that ATM card doesn't worky. Dont know how that loan workied out. havent seen him since

Lets face it, easy scam, the guy the OP was talking about made 2000 baht that day from him alone, get a few 300 baht phone card tales in then suddenly that scammer is making 90 k a month.  Whats the alterantives for some people, teaching?  :o

Reminds me of this John Steinbeck story (author of “Grapes of Wrath” , “Of Mice and Men” and “Travels with Charlie” any many more).

John Steinbeck had just published “Travels with Charlie” a travelogue describing his round the world trip accompanied by his dog Charlie.

A journalist at the reception was trying to be smart: “What now for Charlie? He has pissed on the Redwoods, pissed on the Eiffel Tower, raised his leg against the Great Wall of China, done doggy poos on Mount Olympus, what more can the great dog do?"

John Steinbeck looked up and answered, “Well he could always teach”.

Edited by Thomas_Merton

I am reluctant to start a new threat. I just bought VCD meet the fockers from 7/11 I asked if it was english language or dubbed in Thai, they said its english but after playing it is dubbed in thai language.

Is it possible to return to 7/11? It's not a big deal but its not really my fault so i would like to return if it's possible.

Of course you should return it.

If you're nice and polite about it they probably won't give you a problem - the mistake was theirs and unless you rub it in their face it should be fine. If you do rub it in their face, chance is they won't accept it. Make sure you get the same assistant that helped you last time if possible, and make sure you bring the receipt as well.

If, for some unexplainable reason they still won't take it, maybe tell them you will call the tourist police or something...

The problem with CD's and VCD's is of course that they could suspect you of watching it, copying it and then returning it. I am sure they get scamsters like that on occasion.

Excuse me, sir, but I don't know you. What country are you from? And when did you arrive in Thailand? What kind of visa are you here on? Why did you come to Thailand? Do you have friends or family here? Can you call your friends and family back here? How old are you? What is your occupation? What is your mother's maiden name? When's the last time you ate? Why are you walking away? Why don't you answer these questions?

If you actually think about it, begging and scamming in Thailand is going to be a safe and profitable business in Thailand if you speak good English and approach only falang holiday-makers.

I have been caught out a few times. Now if a falang asks for help, I will willingly take hime for a meal, give him a phone card, anything except cash.

If you judge their response accordingly, the scammer will quickly pull a face and seek a new victim.

For example, I met a Russian male, unkempt and dirty begging, due to bad luck etc. I said..'it looks like you need a shower, a hotel bed and a hot meal' he said yes, and became quite animated and happy, then I said...'I shall pay for your hotel room and meal; come with me I live 1km away, ...'

What about cash he said, 'you don't need cash, I will pay the hotel direct'. He actually sprinted away.

Never part with cash to a falang, buy them what they need. Then if they are genuine they will be grateful.

I was starving to death once in Spain. I had not eaten for a week, and was sleeping rough, and a charity worker gave me apples and bananas. I ate eighty. I was grateful. :o

some son of a bitch told me he was tsunamied and his house was ruined (he was farang) and he asked for some money, this was probably mid janurary.. and since i saw him drunk as ###### and hallucinating on extasy the day before i just laughed at his face.. i thought that was pretty distasteful lying about the tsunami like that though

Excuse me, sir, but I don't know you.  What country are you from?  And when did you arrive in Thailand?  What kind of visa are you here on?  Why did you come to Thailand?  Do you have friends or family here?  Can you call your friends and family back here?  How old are you?  What is your occupation?  What is your mother's maiden name?  When's the last time you ate?  Why are you walking away?  Why don't you answer these questions?

nice one....... :o

Have you contacted your embassy yet?

They need to know about these scams so they can do something about it.

You might also get in touch with the press in your own country as they can warn tourists to be wary of throwing 65 baht down the drain, but as I have seen the movie you are talking about I think down the drain is the best place for this rubbish.

As 7/11 is a big corporation and all the outlets are franchises I think they would be quaking in their boots as to any bad publicity arising from this purchase.

Good luck.

Have you contacted your embassy yet?

They need to know about these scams so they can do something about it.

You might also get in touch with the press in your own country as they can warn tourists to be wary of throwing 65 baht down the drain, but as I have seen the movie you are talking about I think down the drain is the best place for this rubbish.

As 7/11 is a big corporation and all the outlets are franchises I think they would be quaking in their boots as to any bad publicity arising from this purchase.

Good luck.

If you have pretty big blue eyes and are not a bad looker, the Australian government will provide you with a Queens Council to prosecute 7-11 for you. Just don't bring your chavvy/bogan mother to the court case will ya?

If you have pretty big blue eyes and are not a bad looker, the Australian government will provide you with a Queens Council to prosecute 7-11 for you. Just don't bring your chavvy/bogan mother to the court case will ya?

Everyone is innocent until proven guilty, trouble is if you are a young whitewoman in a foriegn country you are still innocent even when proven guilty.

Only a matter of time before the zealots in Oz realse ther are hundreds of Australian citizens behind bars more often than not for drug offences so they can campaign for their release as well.

The fact that they have Vietnamese names and are men has nothing at all to do with the deafening silence we have had up till now.