Teaching English In Thailand

Hi,

I've just signed up to the forum to ask a few questions about teaching english in Thailand. I am a 20yr old Male, who has just graduated from a University in the UK, after studying three years of BSc Computer Studies.

I am looking at Teaching English in Thailand for a year or two, before coming back to the UK. Upon returning to the UK, i will be looking at completing a PGCE and going into teaching secondary school IT.

What i want to know, is it best to take a TEFL course in the UK prior to travelling to Thailand, or is it best to do the course in Thailand?

I have been to Thailand on several occasions, to; Bangkok, Cha-am, Hui Hin & Pattaya.

I would be free to travel whenever i can secure some form of job, knowing that it would be on a min. 6month basis with appropriate living salary.

Thanks,

Chris

Taking the course in Thailand should be an advantage if you plan to apply for a job here. That way you can prove to a potential employer that you already have some experience from teaching in Thailand since the TEFL course involves teaching practice. After all, teaching in the UK and Thailand is somewhat different. Another good reason for taking it in Thailand is that it's cheaper of course, including the cost of living which is way cheaper. I took my course in Ban Phe in Thailand and was trained by an American and a Thai trainer, and it was as good as it could be in a Western country.

Computer teachers might be hard to find, but for your own sake you should take a TEFL course. Would you really want to walk into a classroom without any teacher training at all? Would you know what to do? I sure wouldn't without my TEFL training! A TEFL course won't make you a great teacher in a month, but it will teach you the very basics and give you confidence to go into a classroom with at least some clues about what to do and not do!

Good luck!

Edited by AjarnChris

Most schools begin next week. So, it will be hard to find a job right now. The semester break is not until usually the end of September. My school just hired a couple of new foreign teachers. Too bad you posted your letter late. We hired a computer teacher also during the summer break. Good luck in your search. You can check language centers also. They are usually always hiring.

Computer teachers might be hard to find, but for your own sake you should take a TEFL course. Would you really want to walk into a classroom without any teacher training at all? Would you know what to do? I sure wouldn't without my TEFL training! A TEFL course won't make you a great teacher in a month, but it will teach you the very basics and give you confidence to go into a classroom with at least some clues about what to do and not do!

Any advice on how to buy a used motorcycle? Unreal some of the techniques I see on here and elsewhere. The OP is right out of a legit (I assume) University with a B.Sc. in Computer Science and a native English speaker. Youth, energy, and specialty. The money saved not taking the TEFL course pays the airfare. Enough said.

It sounds like you just want to come here for a 6 month vacation. Why bother teaching? The kids will eat you alive. A 20 year old really isn't old enough. Students won't take you serious. sorry, just my opinion. If you're serious about teaching...try it, but you may be in for a huge surprise here. TIT

Yes i am straight out of a legit university (Teesside University,UK). A university which this year got awarded "The Times" University of the Year.

I appreciate the current conflict in Bangkok, however i would be looking at travelling away from Bangkok upon arrival, preferably to Cha-am/Hui Hin, or alternatively to Pattaya. I would however be happy to move to Bangkok for teaching once the conflict has passed.

In reference to post #6 by Mochafan, yes, I am looking at effectively a long-term vacation/GAP year, however i would like to take some experience and key skills from my travelling. This being the main reason why i would like to teach either English or IT to thai students.

Take a Toefl or equivalent class here, they teach you the strategies and realities of teaching in Thailand.

If you are teaching to pay for bar tabs and extended vacation, kindly stay home, we have enough of those types of teachers pulling down the image of foreign teachers as well as the salary expectations.

Hi colloq,

My shortest answer to your initial question is that it's best to complete a TEFL in the UK with an internationally recognized company. I realize that it comes with a price premium, but it will hold more weight and stand you in better stead.

If you do come to teach, obviously ensure you have full insurance for your entire stay, as repatriation due to illness of accident is frighteningly high.

As I teach English in Bangkok myself, I would like to take this opportunity to urge you to reconsider this course of action. Simply put, you'll be limited in where you can work with a TEFL, and work experience gleened in Thailand will not prepare you for a PGCE, unfortunately. Without proper training, you're unprepared and you'll pick up bad teaching practices from your colleagues.

You'd be better off completing the PGCE, working in a UK school to gain QTS and coming to Thailand then, if at all. You'll have access to recruitment fairs where you'll secure the highest salaries at professional, caring, quality international schools; you'll enjoy living in Thailand much more.

If you're determined to come, I'd suggest making a plan to arrive March 2011 as its now May and you've obviously not lined up a PGCE yet. There might still be places on 2010 secondary PGCE courses, so try that first.

If you've missed the boat, take whatever work you can find in the UK, build up your savings, and apply for PGCEs starting September 2011. By next January you'll have a course lined up for September 2011, and you'll have to sort out your finances for this. One good UK company is Bell; they offer a form of TEFL called a CELTA and may be able to find you work in Thailand. Schools and places in Thailand will want you to commit to a year's contract, but you could work and live here for six months before returning to the UK for the PGCE. You'll find this contrast and change quite difficult and unsettling, but with good support from you friends and family, it is possible.

Finding work might be a challenge. A TEFL is a good idea, but in your case might not be cost effective. Take the TEFL here.

Let's take it easy on the OP. He managed to get through a rather difficult course of study at a reputable University, so he probably has a bit more going for him than some of those who teach to support a dubious life style.

If you are going to get a PGCE anyway then get it BEFORE you come - do one more year at uni now.January/ February/March next year start checking the websites of all international schools and see if you can get a job teaching ICT; much more money than teaching English and kickstarting your career too...

The OP wants to spend less than 2 years teaching and travelling in Thailand before heading home and becoming a secondary school IT teacher I guess in the UK.

Therefore the comments about getting a PGCE before travelling or teaching IT in Thailand seem a little irrelevant.

Taking a TEFL in Thailand has number of advantages such as visa and job support plus training normally includes what is culturally acceptable in, or out of, the classroom.

Edited by Loaded

Finding work might be a challenge. A TEFL is a good idea, but in your case might not be cost effective. Take the TEFL here.

Let's take it easy on the OP. He managed to get through a rather difficult course of study at a reputable University, so he probably has a bit more going for him than some of those who teach to support a dubious life style.

This is precisely why I warned the OP; if we can agree that 'some of those' teachers in Thailand lead dubious life styles, what kind of role models will they be and what influence will they have? How will their attitudes and teaching practices mould the OP's view of teaching? First impressions count.

The OP shouldn't throw away his chance to have a professional, dedicated initial teacher training; his colleagues on a TEFL in Thailand will spend every night 'out' whereas if he studied at a reputable place in the UK, he'd meet people about to embark on TEFL careers all over the world and who would doubtless smirk at his intention to work in Thailand.

The Thai experience of teaching English will hinder not help the OP, give him distorted and possibly negative views about teaching, and professional conduct, and he'll find the subsequent PGCE a huge adjustment.

Yes, but teaching Thai students is completely different than teaching a bunch of western kids or adults. One of the many reasons people fail at teaching in Thailand is because they had no preparation about how to handle Thai classrooms, teachers, and admins. People coming to Thailand with preconceived notions from the west on how things are done end up getting a rude awaking.

Furthermore, not every person taking a Tefl is going to go out to the bars each night, avoid the islands if you want to reduce the number of people in your class who do so.

Honestly, I recommend Seetefl, the link at the top of the page. John and Ying are professional and unlike most places where you will be giving your practice lessons to older students and adults, were as at SEE TEFl you will actually go to surrounding schools and take over a class.

Lastly, teaching in Thailand might turn people off to teaching altogether, but it also drives others to pursue further degrees in teaching.

Because there are plenty of schools/centers in and around Chiang Mai.

I didn't do my TEFL with them, I did TEFL international and I did deal with all the whoring and boozing students while only teaching 15yr old+ students who WANTED to be there.

I have dealt with John and Ying when they visited my school and had them take over some of my classes.