Rajavej Hospital Opp. Holiday Inn

lifemagic

I know last time I posted my experience of the special clinic I got flamed for being negative.

Well, I got sick again and this time had a great experience at Rajaveg opp. Holiday Inn. They have a 'foreign liasion officer', basically an extremely helpful Thai lady who speaks perfect English and whose job it is to shadow every farang to make sure they're OK. When I first phoned, tried to speak English, I was passed to her and assumed I was speaking to a foreigner. I told her the problems and she told me exactly what to do.

When I arrived next day, she turned up, helped me fill out the paperwork, and took me to the clean, spacious and half empty waiting room. Then she suddenly materialised when it was time for my out patient care, and explained each stage. Then when it was my turn for the doc. she just... materialised again, and was there with her perfect English the whole time, very, very sympathetic.

I had blood work and waited about an hour and a half, she arrived again for my second consultation and was there all the way. Then took me to the cashier and explained all the bill, arranged a certificate for insurance in English and printed out another copy of all my tests (AOK by the way, because I know how much I'm loved on these boards and I don't want you worrying). The cost for the doc is 200, it's a full hospital, linked to Chiang Mai UNI as the ID card they gave me was the same as I got in Sri Pat. Total cost, two consultations, Natasha's help, full blood work plus liver and kidney was about 2500, I was in and out in two and a half hours, clean toilets there, you can get there on the free airport shuttle bus also. CANNOT recommend the place enough.

If you want to give it a go:

Phone: 053 801 999.

Listen to a message in Thai

Ignore a message in English

Press Zero

Wait while it rings

Someone will answer in Thai, say either:

A - Can I speak to Natasha?

B - Can I have the International Liasion Officer?

C - I want to speak in English

She'll be there very soon. Tell her the problem, and say when you want to go.

Take the green airport shuttle from various top end hotels around Chiang Mai and get off at the last stop but one.

Cross the road and enter the door that says 'Outpatient'. Don't worry, it's really nice inside.

You're facing an information desk. Go up and ask for Natasha.

Fill in the forms while you're waiting.

As soon as she arrives, you're in good hands.

Rajavej,

316/1 Chiang Mai,

Lampoon Road,

Nonghoi.

Edited by lifemagic

From Wikipedia:

"Natasha

Pronunciation nuh tosh uh

Gender female

Meaning Christ's Birthday (Italian)

Origin Italian

Russian

Look up Natasha in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.

Natasha is a Greek female given name, originally a pet name of Natalia, which in turn derives from the Latin Dies Natalis, meaning "Natal Day" or "Birthday," in reference to the traditional birth of Jesus. It was traditionally given to girls born around Christmas.[1]"

Thanks for the tip, lifemagic !

Glad to hear that they have improved.

A few years back, I was paying Thai National Health/Social Security and was assigned to the Rajavej Hospital. At that time I had developed a painful hernia. One of my employees took me along to the hospital and I spent the morning wating to be examined. Eventually, after x-rays and ultrasound, I was seen by a consultant who basically told me to go home get some rest and the condition would 'improve'.

That evening I was in such pain and distress that I returned to the hospital. I was examined by another physician and was immediately admitted and scheduled for surgery the following morning. The next morning, the previous consultant was on duty - re-examined me and, despite my protests, again told me to go home and rest.

I was in such a wretched state that I went straight to RAM hospital. I was examined by a surgeon - Dr. Saree and scheduled for corrective surgery the following day. The operation was a sucess and gave immediate relief.

Ah yes, I remember this hospital. Blood tests are normally quick and painless affairs, but here I was dealt with by a katoey nurse and I think he/she must have used a knitting needle instead. A bit of bruising? oh yeah. The next day my arm was about as pretty as the nurse in question. Owwww :)

- but that was a while ago now. On a serious note, it's great if the hospital has established a system like the OP has mentioned ... more Thai businesses should do the same to give themselves a competitive edge

A few years back, I was paying Thai National Health/Social Security and was assigned to the Rajavej Hospital. At that time I had developed a painful hernia. One of my employees took me along to the hospital and I spent the morning wating to be examined. Eventually, after x-rays and ultrasound, I was seen by a consultant who basically told me to go home get some rest and the condition would 'improve'.

That evening I was in such pain and distress that I returned to the hospital. I was examined by another physician and was immediately admitted and scheduled for surgery the following morning. The next morning, the previous consultant was on duty - re-examined me and, despite my protests, again told me to go home and rest.

I was in such a wretched state that I went straight to RAM hospital. I was examined by a surgeon - Dr. Saree and scheduled for corrective surgery the following day. The operation was a sucess and gave immediate relief.

Appreciate you posting, but in fairness many of us (me included) have had bad diagnosis from Ram....I think it just has to be ones "lucky day" wherever you go to hospital in LOS, unless you are going to the big ones in BK, wher they get it right "most" of the time :)

Appreciate you posting, but in fairness many of us (me included) have had bad diagnosis from Ram....I think it just has to be ones "lucky day" wherever you go to hospital in LOS, unless you are going to the big ones in BK, wher they get it right "most" of the time :)

Did you have surgery at Ram? Was it succesful ?

Did you have surgery at Ram? Was it succesful ?

I guess that you have to take as you find.

I cannot comment on Rajavej today's conditions as it seems that it may have improved but I have been a patient (paid - no insurance) at RAM for many years. There are many conflicting opinions - this is mine.

Yes, I had the hernia Op at RAM. No big deal. I was awake, and although I could not see what was going on due to a screen. It was painless due to a local anesthestic. I was back in the ward within an hour, and from memory discharged the following day. The stitches were removed less than a week later. What a difference!

On a more serious note - I also suffered from pancreatis which nearly took me out of the scheme of things. As this is a thread dealing with with Rajavej I will not go into more detail although enough to say that I am a big fan of RAM and you cannot put a price or premium on your health.

You are welcome to PM me if you wish further details.

Gladiator

Ah yes, I remember this hospital. Blood tests are normally quick and painless affairs, but here I was dealt with by a katoey nurse and I think he/she must have used a knitting needle instead. A bit of bruising? oh yeah. The next day my arm was about as pretty as the nurse in question. Owwww :)

- but that was a while ago now. On a serious note, it's great if the hospital has established a system like the OP has mentioned ... more Thai businesses should do the same to give themselves a competitive edge

Laughter at the expense of transgenders is so easy.

A lot of it is the luck of the day, if you look here, there are for and against posts for pretty much all the hospitals. There are so many staff it depends on who's there on the day.

I just wanted to post because I could find very little info on Rajavej, plus the English speaker tailing me made all the difference as I said and perhaps some people would like that.