The Great Farang Durian Poll

Thaiquila

Do you like durian?  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We've been here before and I will re-itterate:

It smells like Sh#t :o

It tastes like Sh#t :D

It should be classed as a dangerous substance.

etc

I'm with ThaiPauly on this one.

Horrible, horrible, evil, foul substance.

It is banned on the pearl farm I manage within 100 metres of my house & office.

Whenever I smell it, there is h*ll to pay...

Durian even looks evil, like some kinda medieval weapon. Mother in law loves it. Stinks the crap out of the fridge and most of the house . Actaully dried Durian chips are quite tasty, but not raw. Any hotel that has no dogs/no durian signs up always gets my booking :o

I LOVE DURIAN. hehe :o

Your avatar looks like it tastes better.

I've had it a few times (Durian, I mean); it doesn't taste too bad, but the smell can really put me off. Plenty of other Thai fruit out there, way more delicious without the off-putting fumes.

/Edit: Give me fadge, anyday.

Edited by Insight

Durian even looks evil, like some kinda medieval weapon. Mother in law loves it. Stinks the crap out of the fridge and most of the house . Actaully dried Durian chips are quite tasty, but not raw. Any hotel that has no dogs/no durian signs up always gets my booking :o

Ever seen the stall holders throwing durians at one another, yeah it's a weapon alright. Dehydrate or fresh, durians shall be durians. Durians are banned in most hotel in LOS.

Is it true what Thai people say about eating durian and drinking alcohol at the same time?

That you can die?

i must say yes ka ...coz durian has much of sulfur..and when u take alcohol it makes your stomach's inner membrane lost some activity and increase absorp sulfur

when you get too much of sulfur in blood ..harmful..... :o

I tried it once and wasn't too keen on it.

I didn't hate it but I wasn't comfortable with the taste which reminded me of egg and burnt coffee sweetner.

I don't know where this rotting smell myth comes from, it doesn't smell that bad.

Kind of like a cross between egg and burnt coffee sweetner.

Scamp.....

How on earth do you know what burnt coffee sweetner tastes/smells like? :D ?

My wife once bought some and put it in our new car!! The smell lingered for days although she denied there was any smell at all!!! :o

Used endless cans of airspray and polish before the smell went..... :D

Banned from house and car now. :D

My wife once bought some and put it in our new car!!

I had a girlfriend that once used diesel instead of gasoline and and it was a very expensive folly which resulted in leaving the car at the garage for a day and a half while they had to drain it empty and clean it before putting proper gasoline in the tank.

Uh...Scamp...I believe the guy was referring to his girlfriend leaving a Durian inside the car - like maybe on the back seat?

Perhaps not in the fuel tank... :o

My wife once bought some and put it in our new car!!

I had a girlfriend that once used diesel instead of gasoline and and it was a very expensive folly which resulted in leaving the car at the garage for a day and a half while they had to drain it empty and clean it before putting proper gasoline in the tank.

Uh...Scamp...I believe the guy was referring to his girlfriend leaving a Durian inside the car - like maybe on the back seat?

Perhaps not in the fuel tank... :D

Coorrect Boon Mee.... :D

Scamp doesn't seem all there since he returned to the UK.... :o

One doesn't eat durian, one gorges on the soft, sweet, succulent flesh, ripe and curvaceous, arching and offering its beautiful self in tantalising glimpses, (often in segments pre-cut on plastic trays, wrapped in clingfilm). It's the orgasm of the taste buds and for those who have failed to climax, don't give up or turn away; indulge in some foreplay, tempting your partner and self with just a tablespoon or two of durian before putting the rest in the fridge. One thing will lead to another as desire to open the fridge door overcomes the pair of you....

One doesn't eat durian, one gorges on the soft, sweet, succulent flesh, ripe and curvaceous, arching and offering its beautiful self in tantalising glimpses, (often in segments pre-cut on plastic trays, wrapped in clingfilm). It's the orgasm of the taste buds and for those who have failed to climax, don't give up or turn away; indulge in some foreplay, tempting your partner and self with just a tablespoon or two of durian before putting the rest in the fridge. One thing will lead to another as desire to open the fridge door overcomes the pair of you....

Do you work in advertising?

"Life is too short to eat bad durian."

(Thaiquila. 2005, approx)

I think thats "Life is too short IF you eat bad durian"
Personally I think it smells like socks not being washed for a full summer  but I like the taste and I've eaten a lot of it....shame I can't find it in london...anyone knows if there is an asian shop that sells durian?

Yeah, best place is See Woo in Charlton (near the Millenium dome - bugger, thought I wouldn't have to struggle with the spelling of that for at least another 1000 years!). Horn Lane, Greenwich, London SE10 0RT

Its expensive though - a smallish whole fruit (spikes and all) will cost about £20!

You can get it extracted from the generous peel and pith and shrink wrapped for a lot cheaper there. They also do the sausage one that you get in LoS (dried and squeezed into a brown goo inside a plastic tube - hence sausage comparison)

I once saw a guy, bare topped, sleeping in the back of a tipper truck loaded with Durian. Laying on top of the mounded fruit - how can that be comfortable enough to sleep on? :o

Personally, I think it stinks too much to let anywhere near my mouth (where have I heard that before?).

Edited by wolf5370

and as the door opens you are both drawn towards it by its erotic, sensual smell, you climb into the fridge to be with your beloved Durian, he has you where he wants you now, being of no fixed gender the Durian makes passionate love to you both leaving you panting and lusting for more.....

Then you suddenly awake to find you have just spat out the worst end of a COCKROACH

I've had it a few times (Durian, I mean); it doesn't taste too bad, but the smell can really put me off. Plenty of other Thai fruit out there, way more delicious without the off-putting fumes.

I am sorry.

Durian is not just any old fruit.

It is very unique.

Calling it just another fruit is like calling the hope diamond another rock.

Is it a fruit or is it in a way, a meat? It is reputed to be the only "fruit" that tigers seek out and eat:

http://www.chat11.com/Tigers_Eating_Durian_Fruit

Anthony Burgess is one of my favorite writers but he clearly shows bad taste by describing eating durian "like eating a magnificent raspberry blancmange in a foul public toilet." Toilet, maybe, foul, you do exagerrate my man.

Here is a nice description of divine durian FLESH (meat, get it):

faint aroma of bitter sweet butter scotch and almonds with a bouquet of wild honey and a hint of smoked oak then you have hit the jackpot and found yourlself a durian with a thick, creamy, treacle like, bitter sweet tasting flesh

Edited by Thaiquila

I am sorry.

Durian is not just any old fruit.

It is very unique.

Calling it just another fruit is like calling the hope diamond another rock.

Is it a fruit or is it in a way, a meat? It is reputed to be the only "fruit" that tigers seek out and eat:

http://www.chat11.com/Tigers_Eating_Durian_Fruit

Anthony Burgess is one of my favorite writers but he clearly shows bad taste by describing eating durian "like eating a magnificent raspberry blancmange in a foul public toilet." Toilet, maybe, foul, you do exagerrate my man.

Here is a nice description of divine durian FLESH (meat, get it):

faint aroma of bitter sweet butter scotch and almonds with a bouquet of wild honey and a hint of smoked oak then you have hit the jackpot and found yourlself a durian with a thick, creamy, treacle like, bitter sweet tasting flesh

So after all that Thaiquila, do you like it or not?

Yes, I find it extremely pleasing, obviously.

However, I would be nice if it came in a diet version, it really is a very high fat food and when I eat it, I eat a lot of it.

The other thing about it is that I can't imagine eating it everyday, because it really is like a very rich desert, but life without it would not be as sweet (and smelly).

Somone mentioned the aftereffects. Well, I sort of know what you mean, but for me the feeling afterwards is very pleasant.

I found another source that indicates eating a papaya with durian aids digestion problems such as gas.

Edited by Thaiquila