South Of Bangkok

worth

we are due to relocate to Thailand, in the Hua Hin area, in about a month. everything were seeing on tv seems to be about BKK and then the north. but how are things in Hua Hin? by the looks of the forum it seems as if everyone is living a normal life but we want to keep tabs on things. paranoid? maybe. so. help!

It is all safe to go to Hua Hin. Don't worry at all.

I am living and working in Bangkok and on Sukhumvit it is also quiet. The action happens in a restricted area encircled by the military.

Welcome to Thailand, hopefully soon again the Land of Smiles

problems are restricted to a couple of blocks in bangkok, i live in the north suburbs, it's very peaceful i assure you, hua hin also and that's very far from the troubles, no chance of the demonstrators going near there.

if you are looking to buy housing in hua hin, i would look around, bargain alot in view of the current situation. but becareful of the "western developed estates" some are owned by criminals. beware.

check if the house has a water tank, hua hin has a major water shortage during summer, check if there are telephone wires at the estate NOW, because without it you won't have internet. don't buy a house unless it's completed, otherwise you might own one that's half finished!

Just don't buy a house from a developer as that might get you screwed or killed at worst, so rent and be happy..

god i wish i had said that !

why would u move to hua hin or anywhere in this god foresaken country and give them any of ur hard earned cash ?

Worth,

There is no problem in Hua-Hin and unlikely to be in the future.

Come and rent for at least a year first, get reliable advice from a lawyer recomended by your Embassy long before you even think of buying.

The best you can get is a 30yr lease on houses, maybe you could ask to pay only 30% of value of house.

Mike.

Renting first to get a feel for the place is indeed a good advice. However, there are quite a few resale properties on the market here at the moment that sell for much below the prices they were bought for a couple of years ago. In particular there are Brits, who bought in at the time when the stirling was high, that are selling now and relocating back to the UK. Due to the current exchange rate they can sell at a considerably "loss" and still break even, i.e. a win - win situation.

Renting first to get a feel for the place is indeed a good advice. However, there are quite a few resale properties on the market here at the moment that sell for much below the prices they were bought for a couple of years ago. In particular there are Brits, who bought in at the time when the stirling was high, that are selling now and relocating back to the UK. Due to the current exchange rate they can sell at a considerably "loss" and still break even, i.e. a win - win situation.

very true, a real win win situation, good advice.

Hi. thanks for info. sorry about the confusion. we will not be buying. renting for a year. but thanks for the tips all the same. just wanted to check in with people who are actually living there who might give us a heads up. cheers.

QUOTE (stgrhe @ 2010-05-16 08:04:47) *

True about being able to sell at a loss due to the exchange rate but only one problem with this theory, you at present will get less thai bht to your pound meaning even if a seller drops his price you are of course paying the same or more.

Unless of course house prices have dropped more than 30%, win-win or lose-lose go figure.

Mike.

If you really want to know what 'The air is like in HH' then the answer is "It is probably some of the best quality air in Thailand".

We do not get the smog from the crop burning and come this time of the year the winds tend to come from the south east. HH is of course a coastal town and again receives great advantages from the sea breezes. All in all, I don't think that you will find anywhere with a better quality of air year on year, but of course I am open to correction on this point if somebody knows better.

Rarely do you see visibility drop to anything like unacceptable levels, which in itself I believe is a pretty good indicator of the air quality.

HH and its surrounding areas are safe and don't forget that there are an awful lot of military garrisons stationed all around here because of 'Their Majesty's' .

If you can find a better place in Thailand, on an overall balanced basis of facilities/cost of living and general overall 'feel good factor' then I would like to hear of it.

I have no involvement in any of the housing/condo selling agents or any other business in the area and am just a retired UK resident who has lived some 10Kms south of HH for the past 3+ years and offer my own personal comments from the heart for what it is worth. I wish you well in your search for paradise - if that exists!

• 4 weeks later...

Can you give me a rough figure on the cost of a single/two bedrom apartment in HH? I know the range could be huge, but approximate is all I'm after.

A short/ish walk to the beach and restaurants would be the sort of area I would be looking

Edited by F4UCorsair

Can you give me a rough figure on the cost of a single/two bedrom apartment in HH? I know the range could be huge, but approximate is all I'm after.

A short/ish walk to the beach and restaurants would be the sort of area I would be looking

What time of the year and for how long would you wish to rent?

I live 10kms (10 mins) south of HH and can have a look at the prices in the Khoa Takiab area for you if you like.

Plenty of apartments/condos/villas in the area and lots of good restaurants, plus a far better beach than that in HH.

Thanks cheshiremusicman.

I'd be looking at spending a few months there at a time, and different times of the year, but for the purposes of the exercise, probably starting about August.

Your name implies you'e into music?? I'll be bringing a couple of saxes, alto and tenor so if you're a musician, we may be able to get together.

Thanks cheshiremusicman.

I'd be looking at spending a few months there at a time, and different times of the year, but for the purposes of the exercise, probably starting about August.

Your name implies you'e into music?? I'll be bringing a couple of saxes, alto and tenor so if you're a musician, we may be able to get together.

Thanks cheshiremusicman.

Hi 'F4Ucorasir',

Ok re the time of your next visit. I will try and make up some notes re places that I see in the local area and send them to you. What kind of price range have you got in mind and do you want somewhere with a pool etc?

Re the 'Music', I'm a pretty poor classical guitar play, but still enjoy struggling to get through some 'simple pieces' and intend to devote a bit more of my time to this in the future; but would love to her you play when you are over.

There is a jazz bar in town that I've been told is pretty good and lots of people go there and jam, but I've not been there as yet.

Send me a PM with your email and I will you this in future if that is 0k.