Seven Seater Mpv On A Budget

peted

We're in the process of looking for a 7 seater to haul kids, maid, visitors & relatives around Bangkok and for occasional trips up country or to the beach.

We'll need something that will keep us going 5-10 years, is low on ownership costs (depreciation, fuel, insurance, servicing), is reliable and has a good service network. Budget around BHT800K. A used vehicle is fine, but would prefer something no more than 2-3 years old.

Have looked at the Innova which we quite like (to the extent it's practical), but don't see many on the roads? Is there some reason these vehicles are unpopular? We would have thought there must be many families looking for a 7 seater at a price point below the Wish, Stream, Spacewagon and even Fortuner. Perhaps my wife's cousin is right … in Thailand if you are on a budget and want a vehicle to carry more than 5 people you get a pick-up ;-)

If you have an Innova or an alternative 7 seater that meets our needs, please let us know your experiences.

Also, any advice on whether the Innova 2.0 Petrol or 2.5 Diesel is better. The latter seems to be available for vehicles up to 2008.

Thanks in advance

Pete, Bangkok

I have a Fortuner. Great, but at 800K your going to be looking at a bottom of the range or older one. The older one's had a few problem's with the brake's, and handled like a pig. Innova's dont seem to be that popular, dont know why, but 2lt petrol will more than likely drink fuel. Have a think about a pick up. Vigo, 4 door, 3lt + unit on rear, can have an aircon: fitted in it, to make thing's more cosy. Good on fuel an will go forever. And well within your price range. Tip, try and get one that's been owned by a Farang. Best of luck what ever you get.

The Innova is based on the Hilux engine and chassis, so mechanically it's fine - that Indonesian styling is a matter of personal preference though :)

Some other options (in new cars) are:

* Thairung Allroader - based on the 2.5L TD Chevrolet Colorado. Launched in March this year at 799,000 Baht. Some info here

* Mitsubishi Pajero Sport GLS - 2.5L TD RWD 7 seater. The GLS misses out on a passenger airbag, leather chairs and uprated audio system, but is still great value at 969,000 Baht. 2008 and early 2009 models can be found used for < 800,000 Baht.

* Toyota Avanza - based on the Yaris/Vios drivetrain. An admittedly small 7-seater for sure, but a 7-seater nonetheless :D Prices start from just 570,000 Baht making it the best baht-per-bum on the market.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

The NEW 2010 Proton Exora..... 7 Seater Auto 759,000

in Manual 719.000

New 2010 Suzuki APV......... 7 or 8 Seater Auto 749,000

in manual 649.000................ Lots of APV's on the road

New 2010 Chery Cross.......... 7 Seater Auto 839,000

2010 Toyota Innova only in petrol 919.000

Lots on the road 2010 Hyundai H-1...... 2.5D start at 1 million

Max 2 - 3 years old.......... Problem as most keep for at least 4 years..... Most above are new models, but you will find Suzuki APV 2005/6 for 450,000 + and the Toyota Innova 2005/6 650,000 +

2005/6 CHEVROLET - ZAFIRA are around 480,000 + lots on the road + For Sale

Thanks guys... looks like there are more choices out there than I originally picked up. And thanks especially for reducing my web time by providing pricing info.

Proton Exora ...had a proton in Malaysia. Never again. Spent more time being towed/fixed than on the road. My wife got badly stranded a number of times.

Toyota Avanza ... tried one in Malaysia. A great vehiclefor the city/school run, but small inside for longer trips and that 1.5l engine strains at speed and going up hill.

Suzuki APV ... the Innova's not pretty, but Suzuki seems to have taken the box van looks to another level. Maybe it's practical, but just not sure we could live with those looks.

Chery Cross .. anyone got any experience of Chery? Are they long lived, reliable and have good re-sale value? What’s the service network like?

Hyundai H-1 .. need to take a closer look. Those rear facing seats look like an interesting way to arrange the family in the back. Sadly back to the box van looks. Anyone got experience of the H1?

Chevrolet Zafira 2005/6 480K .. looks like a bargain. Anyone got experience of long term reliability?

Misubishi Pajero Sport .. looked at a new one and quite liked it, but heard the engines get noisy and the car starts to rattle with age. Does anyone have any experience of these? Maybe I’ll put this back on the short list.

Thairung Allroader .. ugly beasts (imho), but could be practical? Seem to be based on Chevie/Isuzu so should/could be reliable? Anyone got any experience of these?

Agreed finding 2-3 year old used vehicles is a challenge!!

Thanks again for all the help!

Pete

What? The Suzuki APV is super cute. I almost bought one but found it too tinny sitting inside. It felt like it's made of aluminum foil. I'd get a H1 if I were you. 1M new, there's got to be some used ones out there. The Innova is _tiny_. Look at the size of the wheels. It's very narrow too. The Wish is also a bit small on the inside.

Pajero sport is a pretty new model, 1 - 2 years old, I don't think they've had time to get rattly, unless they get rattly right away?!

How about Honda Freed. It fit your budget.

It is very expensive almost 900,000 for the base model.. but then your paying for the Honda badge. It is a Honda Jazz with a small MPV body

For that money there a lot bigger and more roomy 7 seater's between 2 - 4 years old.

The problem with cars masquarading as people carriers is that its easy to over look the luggage space. To this end, if you want to carry lots of people WITH THEIR STUFF a pick-up makes good sense. u can put a couple of people and a LOT of stuff in the back as well as seat five in the cab.

That not withstanding, I drive a Sportrider, the predecessor of the Fortuner. I live alone and make 95% of journeys with no passengers. I just like to be sitting up high and having four wheel drive (and ABS) when I require it (rainy season). On the odd occasion I've taken 5 people to play golf with no compromise in comfort. rear seats fully back give limo like leg room and with the "occasional" seats removed the luggage space is palacial.

All that for half your budget , and the legendary toyota reliability comes for free. Works for me. But I'm just a humble English teacher.

I'm sure it will still be around in 10 years and its not far off ten years old already. Less to go wrong and depreciation is as low as it gets. Not everyones cup of tea, but if you get a Honda freed and every passenger has a Laptop computer, good luck with finding space for them. Can you say, "Sardines"?

we have a Wish that we've had from new (2005)

just done 50,000 kms and never missed a beat apart from replacing the battery, and just had a new set of tyres and an aircon service

Pros- I love the practicality of it, seats 7, good visability all round (try looking thru to the back of a fortuner when reversing), handles like a car, its not heavy like a Fortuner, sits higher than a car, and its more sporty than an Avanza. Its ok on fuel 10km/ltr on average.

It still looks and feels new.

Cons- the car feels underpowered sometimes if fully loaded and going uphill, but most cars/trucks are too. Little luggage room if all seats are taken. No aircon for rear passengers. Needs to be fully on for rear passengers to feel cool-ish.

Overall, im happy with it and im sure it will do another 5 years no problem.

Not sure what a 2nd hand one will set you back, 700-800k baht ??

The problem with cars masquarading as people carriers is that its easy to over look the luggage space. To this end, if you want to carry lots of people WITH THEIR STUFF a pick-up makes good sense. u can put a couple of people and a LOT of stuff in the back as well as seat five in the cab.

That not withstanding, I drive a Sportrider, the predecessor of the Fortuner. I live alone and make 95% of journeys with no passengers. I just like to be sitting up high and having four wheel drive (and ABS) when I require it (rainy season). On the odd occasion I've taken 5 people to play golf with no compromise in comfort. rear seats fully back give limo like leg room and with the "occasional" seats removed the luggage space is palacial.

All that for half your budget , and the legendary toyota reliability comes for free. Works for me. But I'm just a humble English teacher.

I'm sure it will still be around in 10 years and its not far off ten years old already. Less to go wrong and depreciation is as low as it gets. Not everyones cup of tea, but if you get a Honda freed and every passenger has a Laptop computer, good luck with finding space for them. Can you say, "Sardines"?

thats true if you seated 7 in a Freed with laptops vs 7 in a pickup (5 in cab, 2 in the pickup tray) with laptops, you would have more room in the pickup, but not the best option during the rainy season, or hot season, or long driving distances, otherwise fine for some

But its horses for courses really, what suits you doesnt mean it suits me. :)

just done 50,000 kms and never missed a beat apart from replacing the battery, and just had a new set of tyres and an aircon service

Pros- I love the practicality of it, seats 7, good visability all round (try looking thru to the back of a fortuner when reversing), handles like a car, its not heavy like a Fortuner, sits higher than a car, and its more sporty than an Avanza. Its ok on fuel 10km/ltr on average.

Cons- the car feels underpowered sometimes if fully loaded and going uphill, but most cars/trucks are too. Little luggage room if all seats are taken. No aircon for rear passengers. Needs to be fully on for rear passengers to feel cool-ish.

Yes but for that price you are looking at a 2004/6 model Wish...

2005/6 MITSUBISHI - SPACE WAGON has a bigger engine and feel there is more room inside for this price ?

A better buy ? the Honda Stream same size as the Wish but 600-650 for a 2005/6

Lots about... KIA - CARNIVAL much bigger inside a 2006/7 is around 600- 650 and about 700-750 for the Diesel version.

Or have you thought about something like this ? http://www.one2car.com/ISUZU_D-MAX/D28100485

This 689,000 for a 2008... 7 leather seats, diesel auto Very cheap to run and service ..... The manual version is about 60,000 cheaper..

As for pick-ups, there are lots both 2 and 4 doors with rear canopies with leather cushions and its own rear air condition fitted even cheaper.

Yes but for that price you are looking at a 2004/6 model Wish...

2005/6 MITSUBISHI - SPACE WAGON has a bigger engine and feel there is more room inside for this price ?

A better buy ? the Honda Stream same size as the Wish but 600-650 for a 2005/6

Lots about... KIA - CARNIVAL much bigger inside a 2006/7 is around 600- 650 and about 700-750 for the Diesel version.

Or have you thought about something like this ? <a href="http://www.one2car.com/ISUZU_D-MAX/D28100485" target="_blank">http://www.one2car.com/ISUZU_D-MAX/D28100485</a>

This 689,000 for a 2008... 7 leather seats, diesel auto Very cheap to run and service ..... The manual version is about 60,000 cheaper..

As for pick-ups, there are lots both 2 and 4 doors with rear canopies with leather cushions and its own rear air condition fitted even cheaper.

OK, i was just replying to the OP as per my experience with our car, which the OP wanted

as for price it was a guess, could be cheaper?????? :)

Edited by Donnyboy

• 5 months later...

Found my next ideal vehicle replacement. Yes or No!

Yesterday in Tesco Hyperjobby, Toyota's turn to have a mini car show and they had most of their models on display.

The new ! or latest model of the Innova was on display and after sitting in it, I was quite impressed, comfortable seats/ fair bit of room. Front & rear, DVD monitors and what seems to be a good aircon system throughout.

It has a 4 speed auto and a 2.0L petrol engine, the same in the Altis taxi??

For me it looks like an ideal new family run around, being 5 of us and two dogs who always seem to go everywhere with us too!.

Ideal I would think for my annual golf holiday with buddies and the family trip to the coast.

I notice it is put together in Indonesia and what I have read review wise it gets about a 86% rating!!!, main criticism's being high service costs and poor quality paintwork.

Looks and styling is not for everybody but we have TV members who drive around in MU 7's/Fortuners & king of the bloaters - the Pre runner :rolleyes:, so I will not lose any sleep on that one.

Price wise it is over a mill.- Bahts, which is a big step up from my last vehicle purchase but an endowment policy coughs up in the new year. I was going to tuck it away for future med bills and kids schools, Buy or Bye??

Yesterday in Tesco Hyperjobby, Toyota's turn to have a mini car show and they had most of their models on display.

The new ! or latest model of the Innova was on display and after sitting in it, I was quite impressed, comfortable seats/ fair bit of room. Front & rear, DVD monitors and what seems to be a good aircon system throughout.

For me it looks like an ideal new family run around, being 5 of us and two dogs who always seem to go everywhere with us too!.

Ideal I would think for my annual golf holiday with buddies and the family trip to the coast.

I notice it is put together in Indonesia and what I have read review wise it gets about a 86% rating!!!, main criticism's being high service costs and poor quality paintwork.

Looks and styling is not for everybody but we have TV members who drive around in MU 7's/Fortuners & king of the bloaters - the Pre runner :rolleyes:, so I will not lose any sleep on that one.

Price wise it is over a mill.- Bahts, which is a big step up from my last vehicle purchase but an endowment policy coughs up in the new year. I was going to tuck it away for future med bills and kids schools, Buy or Bye??

at a mill baht it would be a bye from me. Pajero Sport 2,5 auto has the tourque/power/milage you are used to in Navara at the same price as Innova, and seats 7. or get a new 4 door pickup seating 5, and possibly a canopy for the dogs. If you want the suspension comfort as in Fortuner and Innova, move the springs over to a Vigo.

a 2000cc/approx 150 hp/180Nm is IMHO loaded uncapable of anything more than 110kmh on the highway. My CRV 2,0 with 4 people returned 6-7km/l at 140-160kmh longdistance

at a mill baht it would be a bye from me. Pajero Sport 2,5 auto has the tourque/power/milage you are used to in Navara at the same price as Innova, and seats 7. or get a new 4 door pickup seating 5, and possibly a canopy for the dogs. If you want the suspension comfort as in Fortuner and Innova, move the springs over to a Vigo.

a 2000cc/approx 150 hp/180Nm is IMHO loaded uncapable of anything more than 110kmh on the highway. My CRV 2,0 with 4 people returned 6-7km/l at 140-160kmh longdistance

didnt expect the CRV to be so thristy.

2,0 auto AWD is underpowered and max tourque at +4500rpm. full throttle most of the day to maintain 160kmh

2,0 auto AWD is underpowered and max tourque at +4500rpm. full throttle most of the day to maintain 160kmh

try LPG then, i seen many of the mates using the toroidal (doughnut shaped). saves space and the spare tire can be placed some where on top of it. the spare may not be carried at all if all your tires are treated with puncture sealant (either all tires are treated by a specialist or a can of puncture 'foam' is carried in the vehicle).

http://www.carbasics.co.uk/what_is_tyre_weld.htm

Thanks for your input Kata, I thought you would have some views on the Toyota.

You know what it is like when you see nice new cars in the mall!, gets you thinking and I was looking at an alternative to the pickup scene.

Being an auto it would be easy for the wife to drive.

I have been diesel as far back as I can remember so the change to petrol would take some getting used to.

The Navara has been a trusty workhorse and I would have kept it, having built two house's here and it also has its uses with the MIL's farm.

If it has to be another pickup (4 door) I will be waiting to read all about the new Ranger, Colorado & Isuzu, all due 2011, I believe.

The new Vigo is not due to 2014.

Edited by phutoie2

install LPG then, i seen many of the mates using the toroidal (doughnut shaped). saves space and the spare tire can be placed some where on top of it. the spare may not be carried at all if all your tires are treated with puncture sealant (either all tires are treated by a specialist or a can of puncture 'foam' is carried in the vehicle).

http://www.carbasics...s_tyre_weld.htm

I have had a bunch of LPG cars and trucks. CRV 2,0 engine does not survive 100k km on LPG, and there is no place to install a hidden LPG tank, meaning leave luggage and dog home if you want to run LPG

Innova can have a cylinder tank under floor in sparewheelspace, range 300km.

In both cases, all warrantyes on engine lost

install LPG then, i seen many of the mates using the toroidal (doughnut shaped). saves space and the spare tire can be placed some where on top of it. the spare may not be carried at all if all your tires are treated with puncture sealant (either all tires are treated by a specialist or a can of puncture 'foam' is carried in the vehicle).

http://www.carbasics...s_tyre_weld.htm

I have had a bunch of LPG cars and trucks. CRV 2,0 engine does not survive 100k km on LPG, and there is no place to install a hidden LPG tank, meaning leave luggage and dog home if you want to run LPG

Innova can have a cylinder tank under floor in sparewheelspace, range 300km.

In both cases, all warrantyes on engine lost

true, warranties, does matters a lot. 100 km is too unrealistic anyway.

here you r right again.

The Zafira ticks all the boxes. Too bad it's discontinued.

As posted under 'new cars 2011'

Here's a very early look at the 2012 Vauxhall Zafira where we can already see, Built in GM Plant in Thailand, rebadged European Opel/Vauxhall Zafira

post-42643-0-71549700-1289986284_thumb.j

post-42643-0-09547100-1289986339_thumb.j

Understand you will be able to buy here in 2011

Kia Carens

It looks like it might seat 7, but it's only a 5 seater..

And on a side note, probably the only car that ages faster than an Alfa Romeo - feels 10 years old after just 12 months on the road :lol:

For that money (900k-1M) you'd be hard pressed to get a better buy than a Pajero Sport GLS, IMHO.

The Zafira ticks all the boxes. Too bad it's discontinued.

As posted under 'new cars 2011'

Here's a very early look at the 2012 Vauxhall Zafira where we can already see, Built in GM Plant in Thailand, rebadged European Opel/Vauxhall Zafira

post-42643-0-71549700-1289986284_thumb.j

post-42643-0-09547100-1289986339_thumb.j

Understand you will be able to buy here in 2011

Not too bad looking. Any guess on a price?