Itunes - How To Use With Lossless Formats

chrgrims

Hi,

I wonder about other peoples experience with itunes and lossless file formats. I dont want to have my collection in mp3 or aac, so i am trying to find the best way to use .wav for similar files with itunes. When i tried to use wave the first time, itunes did not want to add the files to the library. i have read some solutions for flac, but its not convenient (loading other programs etc).

Do others have any ideas?

I'm haven't been able to find it in the settings, but when you downlaod itunes it asks whether you want to use WAVs and maybe a few other formats, not flac though. maybe try removing it and installing again, sure it must be in the edit. preferences somewhere though. good luck. And is there a noticeable difference with flacs? MP3 sounds fine to me.

Edited by Suttisan

WAV tends to be large, so I go for FLAC when I can to maintain the quaility of the original.

I am not sure I have a good enough Hi Fi system these days to be able to tell the difference

between MP3 and FLAC, but on a good system I am sure I would be able to tell.

Just as I can differentiate between good and mediocre CD recordings, direct from the shop.

iTunes will play WAV files but note that there is no way to store any title/artist (tag) information in WAV files. For that you must use FLAC, Ogg-Vorbis, Apple Lossless or compressed formats such as MP3 or AAC.

If you cannot add a WAV file into iTunes there may be something wrong with the file. Most times, however, iTunes will try to convert the file.

As for other formats, iTunes on WINDOWS is pretty much a lost cause. On the Mac, however, you can use Perian or other Quicktime plugins to enable playing of Ogg-Vorbis & other formats.

FLAC, however, is not supported on either Windows or Mac. They all need to be converted to something else.

Making entrepreneur dreams a reality

www.sunbeltasia.com