Anti Govt Protests & Access To Embassies Etc.

I do beg your pardon if this subject has already been addressed.

I am due to renew my Retirement Visa, very, very soon. (yes, i intend to stay, I have lived through a number of these things now). This necessitates a visit to my Embassy for the required income declaration, not to mention a trip or two to Thai Immigration.

My question is. If we are prevented from safely, freely, moving around these areas of the city, obtaining and submitting the required documentation, due to the carnage taking place downtown on behalf of Khun Taksin, is Thai Immigration going to cut us some slack?

Knowing the Thais as I do, I doubt it somehow. Will Thai Immigration do the Thai thing and say, 'nothing to do with us sport, that's your problem!, you owe us a few grand in overstay fees!'

Yes, i know I could ring and ask Thai Immigration myself. ROLF.

If I were you, I would go to Jaeng Wattana Monday morning with all of your documents complete; TM-7; letter from your Thai bank; photos; and copies of your passport and all supporting documents, just like you did one year ago. Dress properly, keep a nice smile on your face, and if you speak Thai, be very condescending and respectful. And whatever you do, don't blame the insurrection - just say your embassy is closed. I feel you have a very good chance of getting thru this. Good luck, and don't procrastinate.

I have a couple different questions on the same topic... does anyone know the status for the new immigration office on Monday? I checked and BTS/MRT are shutdown for the day and given the location of the building I am wondering if they will even open their doors. I cannot see any information on the immigration website about their schedule.

My second question is that I did see on the website some thing about foreigners being able to update "temporary" stays at the old location. I am on a 60 day tourist visa and I am needing to get the 30 day update. Does "temporary" equate to "tourist" visa?

Signed... confused and ducking for cover in BKK

I have a couple different questions on the same topic... does anyone know the status for the new immigration office on Monday? I checked and BTS/MRT are shutdown for the day and given the location of the building I am wondering if they will even open their doors. I cannot see any information on the immigration website about their schedule.

My second question is that I did see on the website some thing about foreigners being able to update "temporary" stays at the old location. I am on a 60 day tourist visa and I am needing to get the 30 day update. Does "temporary" equate to "tourist" visa?

Signed... confused and ducking for cover in BKK

As of 7p.m. Tonight Sunday, Monday and Tuesday have been declared holidays in Bangkok due to the violence, so I doubt that any government offices will be open.

Unless you are from a country in the immediate area you must use Chiang Watanna for any extension of stay. Expect you may have been reading something about foreign workers paperwork or such.

Has anyone recently got a re entry permit from the airport? I am going out next Monday morning so still have some time if Chang Wattana is open on this week. Can I also get someone else to go there for me?

Thanks

The re-entry permit can only be gotten from the immigration office for your aerea. Not anywhere else. At the airport it is now only availeble in real emergencies and so far have only heard of 2 cases where people were able to get a re-entry permit at the airport.

You cannot get a re-entry permit at the airport any more,that facility has been withdrawn

Wouldn't it be nice all things considered if they could re-open the in airport service during the emergency? I was slated to go get my re-ntry today, now I wonder when I'll be able to? :)

I try to call immigration hot line today, no reply.

Someone can confirm that is close for 2 days ?

I just want to be certain

Thank you

try 1111m the government hotline, including information about immigration.

Thanks for the responses to my question... I just checked the immigration website and it looks as though I will be given an exception for the overstay fines as long as I go on the first day that the office is open following the closure due to the emergency situation. See the website at

http ://bangkok.immigration.go.th/intro1.html.

The text reads in part... For foreigners wishing to extend their temporary stay and their visa will be expired on 17 and 18 May 2010, the fine for overstaying of those two days will be excepted if only they contact the Immigration Division 1 on the first day of services opening.