Hair Cut By Farang In Chiang Mai

antaray

Hello

Is there a place you can get a hair cut by professional (experienced) farang master? or Thai that often makes haircuts to farangs

If yes, i would appreciate address and price details

Have been once cut by Thai in Zen Central Plaza - awful experience about cut (not to mention personality, but it's another story, the result of work is more important).

It's not easy to find a master even in your home country, I know. I have thin blond wavy hair - most Thais have little experience with farang hair (does anybody knows where the opposite can be seen?) - who went through it and stayed satisfied with the cut?

Thanks a lot

Edited by antaray

There is one at the entrance of Rimping supermarket at Kad Farang just before Hang Dong its a thai but he was trained in the united States for years and came back to open a salon he does a lot of farangs. Costs are same as back home UK he charged my 2 year old daughter 300 baht or a 5 minute trim

So your looking at 300 baht up

Overseas trained or not, they saw you coming. I had a haircut the other day from my guy round the corner, total cost 40 baht. I get as good a haircut from him as I get in Australia for $25. If you tell them how you want it cut/styled they will oblige, but you have to tell them. It's no good sitting there and mumbling haicut.

Sounds like the OP got an indecent proposal from his last visit as well as a lousy haircut. :)

You can also use the advanced search function in the upper rt corner of the pg here, and you should find something. I used to date a Farang girl with long curly hair and she had the same concerns. There's some lady up Huay Kaew, but I'll leave it up to you to do the searching. I know there're one or two old threads on it in the CM SubForum

Hair Pro is another one. They are Thai, but Khun Wit is trained abroad.

They have many foreigners as their customers, including me. My hair is long, straight, dark-blond and pretty thin.

They did a good job the few times I had a perm done. The last one was 2 years ago (not because I was dissatisfied, but because I'm bored after 30 minutes while a perm takes 4 awfully long hours sitting in a chair with some yukkie chemical on your head) . Costs were about 2,000 - 2,500 baht.

I think a washing and hair cut comes to around 300 baht. Not sure, though.

Hair Pro has two branches, one on the Huay Keaw road and one near Siam .... electronics???? (what was that name again)

Absolute Hair near KSK seems to be good as well, as I've heard, but I have no experience with them.

Edited by Nienke

Overseas trained or not, they saw you coming. I had a haircut the other day from my guy round the corner, total cost 40 baht. I get as good a haircut from him as I get in Australia for $25. If you tell them how you want it cut/styled they will oblige, but you have to tell them. It's no good sitting there and mumbling haicut.

Sounds like the OP got an indecent proposal from his last visit as well as a lousy haircut. :)

I agree. my barber around the corner (two shops to choose from) 40baht & 50 baht respectively - both very satisfactory.

If ones busy, I go to the other.

I actually never went the missus took her in and as you know thais dont like to make a fuss so she just paid it when she told me I was <deleted> she is 2 years old with hardly any hair to cut. It was a clear case of taking advantage but no biggie we have never used it form that day to this.

I like you get a 50 baht cut and am very happy with it

Think it`s illegal for a Farang to do hairdressing in Thailand?

So no point in searching.

Best to seek out a Thai hairdresser that have alot of Farang customers.

Where I live there is this nice young Thai lady hairdresser. She does an excellent job, hairdressing as well.

Cut, wash, shampoo and blow, all in, for 60 baht.

Edited by BigWheelMan

Absolute hair near Central Kad Suan Gao. P Ong cuts mine. Perfect every time. And the girls that will wash your hair first really know how to give good head....massage that is. Dont for get to tip them! 300B for the cut, but well worth it. I am starting to loose some on the crown of my head, and he knows how to cut it to make it less obvious. :)

Let me guess - do they leave one lock of hair really long and wrap it around the top of your dome?

Absolute hair near Central Kad Suan Gao. P Ong cuts mine. Perfect every time. And the girls that will wash your hair first really know how to give good head....massage that is. Dont for get to tip them! 300B for the cut, but well worth it. I am starting to loose some on the crown of my head, and he knows how to cut it to make it less obvious. :)

300 Baht for a haircut in Thailand is silly. And you tip the employees as well?

Absolute hair near Central Kad Suan Gao. P Ong cuts mine. Perfect every time. And the girls that will wash your hair first really know how to give good head....massage that is. Dont for get to tip them! 300B for the cut, but well worth it. I am starting to loose some on the crown of my head, and he knows how to cut it to make it less obvious. :D

why would it be silly?

just cause you can get it for 50 baht elsewhere?

Its the same as buying food, you can pay over 100 baht for khow pat in a pub or hotel restaurant, or 30 baht on a street stall or thai restaurant.

Its a matter of choice, as long as you are satisfied and you think you are getting yr monies worth.

some like a nicer place to go to, maybe you get yr hair washed first, get to sit in air con room. etc

btw I pay way less than 300 baht, but more than 50 baht :)

Let me guess - do they leave one lock of hair really long and wrap it around the top of your dome?

ouch

Read the post, STARTING to loose some hair. So, he cuts it some how that makes it "look" thicker. Ok??

Sorry about that. What threw me off was youy avatar, looks like a top-down view of a comb-over.

Not all hair is created equal. A 40 baht hairdresser wouldn't know what to do with my curly farangish hair. Sometimes you need to pay more to get quality. For me Hair Pro and Absolute are the only two who can tackle my hair without trying to get me to straighten it!

Absolute hair near Central Kad Suan Gao. P Ong cuts mine. Perfect every time. And the girls that will wash your hair first really know how to give good head....massage that is. Dont for get to tip them! 300B for the cut, but well worth it. I am starting to loose some on the crown of my head, and he knows how to cut it to make it less obvious. :D

Why! :)

Tourist from the USwhistling.gif

Some who has some hair and wants to keep it. :)

Yes, you see it all the time. Someone pays less than U.S. price and their hair starts falling out all over the sidewalk.

The horror! Or maybe that was an infomercial for a hair product I saw long ago.

Yes, you see it all the time. Someone pays less than U.S. price and their hair starts falling out all over the sidewalk.

The horror! Or maybe that was an infomercial for a hair product I saw long ago.

I'm sure that people are quit happy with their 40, 50 and 60 baht hair cuts and the barber or beautician does an excellent job. I'll put money on it that these people have a chrome doom, white side walls or GI Joe cuts. NO HAIR. :D I don't have the amount that I had but I try to keep what I have. I pay for a shampoo,cut, pedicure and manicure 300 baht :D

I'm sure that people are quit happy with their 40, 50 and 60 baht hair cuts and the barber or beautician does an excellent job. I'll put money on it that these people have a chrome doom, white side walls or GI Joe cuts. NO HAIR. :) I don't have the amount that I had but I try to keep what I have. I pay for a shampoo,cut, pedicure and manicure 300 baht :D

Similar. I pay about 180 and do the pedicure and manicure myself because I do it better.

Thanks a lot for naming places. Would try absolute hair or hair pro.

I've never understood why a man would worry about a haircut. It's a bloody haircut after all and not heart surgery.

BTW I am a woman, but I do like and understand if a man wants a stylish haircut. Otherwise is ok, but boring for me as a woman

Edited by antaray

Been in the kingdom 6 years, married, own real estate ect. Not your. Typical back packer. And just because I earn income in American dollars, does not mean I am one. In fact, where I come from, calling some one a Yank is fighten words!

You own real estate? In Thailand? How is that possible? Farangs can't own real estate in Thailand.

^ here we go again..... :)

anyway to bring the subject back on topic;

it seems no one knows of a farang working as a hair dresser in CM, so it looks like Mission Impossible, time to call Nathan Hunt...

daan daan dant dant daan daaan...

//closed :D:D

Edited by Donnyboy

Been in the kingdom 6 years, married, own real estate ect. Not your. Typical back packer. And just because I earn income in American dollars, does not mean I am one. In fact, where I come from, calling some one a Yank is fighten words!

You own real estate? In Thailand? How is that possible? Farangs can't own real estate in Thailand.

You're nothing if not predictable.

Maybe you'd be better off concentrating on your own visa problems rather

than trotting this line out everytime someone mentions real estate.

It get's terribly boring.

Will

Ummmm....sounds like a redneck from the south. :)

Back on topic....

I have used a great salon on 2nd floor of Airport Plaza (flyover end) - I think it is called Hair Station. For a wash, cut, wash again and dry I am happy to pay 250 - 300 baht.

Otherwise, tgf cuts my hair and she is also excellent.

I had a "Gents trim" in a UK salon recently, absoulte crap by comparison. £10 (500 baht) for 10 minutes and surly, scruffy staff.

Don't complain about Thailand!

Back on topic! You will not find a non Thai legally doing hairdressing in Thailand. Your choices, apart from the 40/50bht posters are to go for the big Salons advised earlier and pay for their standard sevice, A large hotel boutiqe or some of the smaller tourest orientated salons are probably more likely to soot your needs. One of the best is Shampooh Salon between the Chiang Mai Plaza and Chedi hotels. Both the staff speak english, especially the girl (oz BF) and their main trad is tourist. The boss has won a number of international awards and does know about light curly hair!

Hope it helps