Seat On Human Rights Council A Saving Grace For Thailand

webfact

REGIONAL PERSPECTIVE

Seat on Human Rights Council a saving grace for Thailand

By Kavi Chongkittavorn

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's election to the UN Human Rights Council last week saved the country from sinking deeper into the abyss. The hard-won seat, which came at the height of street tensions and battles, showed that the country still enjoyed a good reservoir of support among the international community. Scoring the second highest votes of 182 after Maldives at 185, they did better than the other 12 countries, including Spain, Switzerland and Poland. However, the diplomatic capital, especially on the home front, is getting thinner by the day.

Due to the high expectations of Thailand from its friends and allies towards its fragile but vibrant - some would say bloody - democracy and moral standards of the Abhisit Vejjajiva government, they have often been very critical of the current political violence and unrest. In their view, the government should have done better in enforcing the rule of law when the protest started in March. After all, they did not expect the crisis would last this long and mess up the economy and bilateral relations. These friends, including UN chief Ban Ki-moon, have already urged the Thai government to end the conflict through peaceful means - dialogue and negotiations - as soon as possible.

Nearer home, Asean friends also share similar concerns as they want a tranquil and stable Thailand, which is pivotal to regional stability. It was hard to imagine that the country where Asean was founded would become such a big problem in Asean as it is today. Vietnam, the Asean chair, has tried to forge a common position on the situation but Thailand thought it was unwarranted. In more ways than one, Thailand should be open-minded by allowing Asean to express its concerns, when it is done in good faith.

Thailand's continued instability and political tension has already impacted negatively on the overall scheme of things within Asean, forcing them to do further soul-searching. Now, the political quagmire in a prominent Asean member has concrete spill-over effects on neighbours due to increased connectivity and the impact from further regionalisation and globalisation. Once the current situation becomes more manageable and stabilises, Thailand should voluntarily invite Asean representatives to visit the country and observe the national reconciliation process as well as monitor the upcoming election. Akin to Indonesia's much-heralded voluntary actions pertaining to East Timor and Aceh in the area of peace-keeping and peace-building, Thailand's initiative has the potential to begin the culture of responsibility to protect and loosen up the non-interference principle, which can serve as part of confidence-building and preventive measures among Asean countries in the future.

Internally, the two-month political lockdown of the capital's business centre has also caused confusion and drawn mischievous responses from the Bangkok-based diplomatic communities against the Ministry for Foreign Affairs (MFA). Strange as it may seem, the demonstrations have attracted various reactions, including sympathies from the US, Latin America and Europe. Several diplomats met with the protesters and their backers caused red eyes at the MFA. Obviously, Thailand's widening income gap between the rural and urban areas and hordes of social inequities, highlighted by the protesters, have found empathy among the diplomats here.

Doubtless, Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya was extremely unhappy after Kurt Campbell, the US Assistant Secretary for East Asia and Pacific Affairs, held a breakfast meeting with Noppadon Pattama and Chaturon Chaisaeng during his brief stopover in Bangkok recently. The embassy's first press release identified the two as members of the Democratic Alliance against Dictatorship but later changed it to members of the opposition party, Pheu Thai. Two days later, Kasit summoned US Ambassador Eric John and lodged his strongest complaint, criticising Campbell's action as unacceptable. He said it sent the wrong signal to the protesters as the government was working hard to achieve national reconciliation and protect democracy. Most importantly, after the clashes on April 10, the government has branded some of the protest leaders as terrorists.

Kasit also delivered a memo to the diplomatic corps explaining Thailand's position and political situation. He impressed on them to respect Thailand's sovereignty and pleaded for better understanding of the delicate political situation his government is confronting. In private, Kasit lamented the international complacency over the role and actions of fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who has been using third countries as base for his sabotage activities to undermine the Abhisit government. In his memo, he stressed that some of the protesters are heavily armed and violence-prone and could be treated as terrorists.

All things considered, joining the Human Rights Council is a much-needed boost for Thailand's sagging image. Fortunately, the Abhisit government's commitment to protect and promote human rights still carries weight internationally. Otherwise, its reputation would remain in the bunker due to the prolonged political impasse. What happened on April 10 and last weekend did not bode well for the high moral standards and international practices that Abhisit personally promised so frequently. Throughout the crisis, the government and the Centre for the Resolution of the Emergency Situation has persistently assured of professionalism, non-use of force and strict compliance with international standards and norms of the rules of engagement. Once in the conflict zones, as live TV coverage and news reports have shown, the implementation was far from satisfactory. Signs show "Live Fire Zones" could be misleading.

In days and weeks to come, it will be a huge task to salvage Thailand's reputation (once again). First of all, the government needs better public diplomacy and a public relations campaign to explain the current situation and what lies ahead. Thaksin has spent enormous amounts of money to employ well-known public relations companies to promote his causes and supporters. He recently commissioned a European company to promote democratic values and practices among his supporters - absurd as it may seem. Secondly, the modus operandi of Thai security forces must be improved as numerous lessons could be drawn from the month-long unrest and heavy casualties.

Finally, as an open society, Thailand's credibility rests on its openness and freedom of expression. Shut-down media outlets should be allowed to operate again with some conditions and online media should be unfiltered. Thailand still has the resilience to deal with all kinds of adversities. Better and speedier legislative process, coupled with an independent media watcdog, could mitigate the much-feared impact of the extremist media, which generates hatred and prejudices.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-05-17

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Thanx, the UN still has fate in our PM, because they know that Thaksin and his scores of followers have violated the rights of people from day 1 they came in power and that it's not this government who brought the violence to the street but Thaksin and his sect.

Thanks all western countries for believing that our contry is not only made up from thugs and scum roaming the streets.

This of course is not an endorsement of of the deaths and injuries suffered by Thais in recent weeks especially. Neither is it a condemnation of the Abhisit government doing what has had to do, finally, at last, with restraint and with the support of the majority of Thais during the past several days.

Thailand however doesn't have much resiliency to do much of anything at this point. The Reds who like to spout that Abhisit is going to end up at the Hague can now quit this absurd nonsensical Thaksin propaganda line as, indeed, the article above points out the failure of the international community to check Thaksin in his continuous efforts over the past four years not only to destablize the country from bases in despicable countries abroad but to regain control of it in the criminal mode of Pol Pot.

Thailand is now a member of the UN Human Rights Commission, Thaksin is dealing in blood diamonds in Africa. The contrast is clear. While the Red Shirts remain oblivious, the international community is clearly demonstrating it knows the situation in Thailand and continues to support Abhisit and his restrained approach to restoring law and order in the capital in contrast to Thaksin's determined, mad compulsions.

This is a vote for Abhisit and a condemnation of Thaksin, much the same as the Nobel Peace Prize going to former Pres Jimmy Carter and to former Vice Pres Al Gore was a direct repudiation of and kick in the arse of George the son Bush.

(I also think the US was quite involved in Thailand's most recent success at the UN.)

This of course is not an endorsement of of the deaths and injuries suffered by Thais in recent weeks especially. Neither is it a condemnation of the Abhisit government doing what has had to do, finally, at last, with restraint and with the support of the majority of Thais during the past several days.

Thailand however doesn't have much resiliency to do much of anything at this point. The Reds who like to spout that Abhisit is going to end up at the Hague can now quit this absurd nonsensical Thaksin propaganda line as, indeed, the article above points out the failure of the international community to check Thaksin in his continuous efforts over the past four years not only to destablize the country from bases in despicable countries abroad but to regain control of it in the criminal mode of Pol Pot.

Thailand is now a member of the UN Human Rights Commission, Thaksin is dealing in blood diamonds in Africa. The contrast is clear. While the Red Shirts remain oblivious, the international community is clearly demonstrating it knows the situation in Thailand and continues to support Abhisit and his restrained approach to restoring law and order in the capital in contrast to Thaksin's determined, mad compulsions.

This is a vote for Abhisit and a condemnation of Thaksin, much the same as the Nobel Peace Prize going to former Pres Jimmy Carter and to former Vice Pres Al Gore was a direct repudiation of and kick in the arse of George the son Bush.

(I also think the US was quite involved in Thailand's most recent success at the UN.)

Hmmmm. Maybe I'm reading a different arcticle? I see it as a vote AGAINST Abhisit.

I cant help but cast my mind back a few months back  July i think when the , the Thai military returned more than 800 Hmong (Refugees) from the Huai Nam Khao camp to Laos i suppose cos they were not Thai they did not have any human rights

yes you may be right the US had some involvement in the success of Thailand's entry to the UNHRC

But lets not forget the US namely the United States Committee for refugees and Immigrants (USCRI)

also ranked Thailand as one of the 10 worst places for refugees .

It did not go down to well with Médecins Sans Frontières or UNHCR come to that.

Lets just hope that now they have a seat at the UNHRC they will be more accountable for their actions and take the human rights issues whether it be to it's own people or refugees more seriously.

Thanx, the UN still has fate in our PM

Are you Thai? He is not your PM, as much as you might like him to be. You didn't vote, aren't a Thai citizen, etc.

If you are an Expat you live here, yes you cannot vote, but you start treating it as home, as it is now your home. People start saying things about their country (thailand).

Most of us wear yellow elastic wristbands with words on them, we stand up in the cinema, we stop when we hear the National Anthem out of respect and also we want to be accepted by them.

Many of us pay our taxes here, we expect things to be done to accommodate us, accept the fact that this is home for many people.

Are you Thai? He is not your PM, as much as you might like him to be. You didn't vote, aren't a Thai citizen, etc.

If you are an Expat you live here, yes you cannot vote, but you start treating it as home, as it is now your home. People start saying things about their country (thailand).

Most of us wear yellow elastic wristbands with words on them, we stand up in the cinema, we stop when we hear the National Anthem out of respect and also we want to be accepted by them.

Many of us pay our taxes here, we expect things to be done to accommodate us, accept the fact that this is home for many people.

This is one of my major gripes.

I have paid millions of Baht in taxes over the years and what do i get in return, Nothing, Nada, Zilch, Zero....thanks Falang for your hard work, your knowledge transfer in helping Thais better themselves, I've got your money now, so piss of back home where you came from.

I have paid millions of Baht in taxes over the years and what do i get in return, Nothing, Nada, Zilch, Zero....thanks Falang for your hard work, your knowledge transfer in helping Thais better themselves, I've got your money now, so piss of back home where you came from.

If that is the message you feel has been sent you, maybe you should take it. or is the return of investment still purchasing your reason to stay. I know its not fair, but if it make you happy - Why as you so sad.

The UN is the most highly political and politicized organization in the world so no member state has a clean slate.

Yes, there have only recently been some terrrible abuses in Thailand.

On the other side of the ledger Thailand is the only country in SE Asia that allows escapee refugees from N Korea to travel on to third countries (principally S Korea or the US) to the great anger of the People's Republic of China and to the Dear Leader himself.

I cant help but cast my mind back a few months back  July i think when the , the Thai military returned more than 800 Hmong (Refugees) from the Huai Nam Khao camp to Laos i suppose cos they were not Thai they did not have any human rights

yes you may be right the US had some involvement in the success of Thailand's entry to the UNHRC

But lets not forget the US namely the United States Committee for refugees and Immigrants (USCRI)

Lets just hope that now they have a seat at the UNHRC they will be more accountable for their actions and take the human rights issues whether it be to it's own people or refugees more seriously.

The way I read it is that by giving Thailand a seat on UNHCR the country will be much more accountable for its human rights record. A smart move by the UN. I do not know when the seat is to be taken up, but it certainly puts a spotlight on what the government/army is doing on the streets of Bangkok. It is no vote of confidence in the government.

The new Thai representative on the UNHCR will be judged by their actions. If it came to it, would they be critical of the government?

then why are you still here :) If you feel this way, go home. Thailand did not ask or demand that you stay.

Thanx, the UN still has fate in our PM, because they know that Thaksin and his scores of followers have violated the rights of people from day 1 they came in power and that it's not this government who brought the violence to the street but Thaksin and his sect.

Thanks all western countries for believing that our contry is not only made up from thugs and scum roaming the streets.

Wow...Is it about the fate in Abhisit?

Is that so?

What do you know, at all, about international politics, about policy of UN as organisation, in crises?

Thanks to your PM, your country is slightly going to become as Bosnia, Beirut or Belfast and that makes me really sad.

Why he don't make elections all levels right now so to stop all of this?

Can you try to explain to me please?

then why are you still here :) If you feel this way, go home. Thailand did not ask or demand that you stay.

:D

If you are Thai, i will say you are very impolite now and you ashame your Kingdom.

You should watch your mouth and be able to stand critics, especially if they are truth and you should respect any opinnion of other people, even you disagree.

No comment for you from Land of smile, really....

You are am a z i n g person... :D

The way I read it is that by giving Thailand a seat on UNHCR the country will be much more accountable for its human rights record. A smart move by the UN. I do not know when the seat is to be taken up, but it certainly puts a spotlight on what the government/army is doing on the streets of Bangkok. It is no vote of confidence in the government.

The new Thai representative on the UNHCR will be judged by their actions. If it came to it, would they be critical of the government?

Abhisit has a certain core integrity, so he likely would send a rep to the UNHCR who would be both respectable and reasonably independent. Abhisit's shown he can take heat. 

Your point is well taken as the country and government will be more closely scrutinized now and forward during a critical time of its history. Thailand is going to find itself sitting in a broad and large seat at the UNHRC table and will have to grow its human rights if its feet are ever to touch the floor. 

I hope hardliners in the military succession pipeline don't take this as cover for any reckless acts, likewise the Reds. I also think it's reasonable to say the former LOS wouldn't have a prayer of being on the Commission if Thaksin were still PM. Can you imagine Thailand with Thaksin as PM being seated on the UNHRC? Or Thaksin's appointee to the seat? Neither can the UN.

I think the UN expects that after the next Thai GE it's not going get a Red Shirt sitting in that large seat because he would be barely visible.

No Thai voted, it was a military coup that installed him ! That's the whole problem !

Meaningless UN propaganda from a corrupt and morally bankrupt organization. Current membership on the Human Rights Council includes such freedom loving and individual rights respecting countries such as Angola, Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, China and Cuba. How can countries with absolutely zero record or credibility of human rights justifiably be on a world council to presumably govern and pass judgement on such things? It's an oxymoron of the most serious proportions and just goes to further demonstrate that the UN is unmitigated farce. It would be a joke if it wasn't so serious.

I understand the seat came by default only 5 country were in line for Asia appointed seats and Iran dropped out and all 4 others got a seat. It is not hard to win that way and its no cover to hide behind when gunning down your own people in the street and shooting political riv in front of international press.

This PM is history win lose or draw in the street he will not be PM vary much longer. Unless he is willing to kill 10,000 more its only a matter of weeks. Lucky if he does less then life in Bangkok Hilton, but I am betting its off to Mogadishu with an allowance from daddy and a condo near thaksin's.

Strait Times "LIBYA and Thailand were among 14 countries elected as new members of the UN's top human rights body on Thursday in a vote that rights advocates criticised as uncompetitive and 'pre-cooked"

I guess Strait times will now join CNN and BBC as evil reporters that lie and don't tell the truth, Only the Nation knows.

"Abhisit has a certain core integrity" ??????? :) Sorry! No political hack in Thailand has any sort of integrity.

So as the political landscape changes, does that mean despite being told that the "UN is not my father", in reality they are some sort of long lost uncle?

If this helps to hold Thailand accountable for some of its actions; good. Whilst it wasn't Abhisit's policy, to see Rohingya towed out to sea was one of the most reprehensible actions I have ever seen.

Kavi is at it again. Es-toling the virtues of Thailand with a seat on the "Human rights commission" At the risk of banishment from the pro-government, pro yellow shirt, pro Abihist, pro Junta, pro military , forum.

To suggest that Thailand deserves a seat in any world body borders on insanity. Thai government positions and actions suggest instead , a stiff rebuke from the UN, the world press, and most certainly any FREE country on the planet. From murder of unarmed civilians, to murder of dissidents in the so-called restive south, to setting adrift the whole boat load of Burma refuges to the deportation of the Loas tribes. Really something to be proud of and to beat your drum about. Give us a a break with the twisted rhetoric.

Is that so?

What do you know, at all, about international politics, about policy of UN as organisation, in crises?

Thanks to your PM, your country is slightly going to become as Bosnia, Beirut or Belfast and that makes me really sad.

He did, November 14th [a few weeks ago-remember the roadmap???].

The reds are the only ones that want elections, so the PM offered an election in November over 1 and a half years before it was due, and what did the reds do, they did not accept and then they tried to intervene with the justice system (Suthep's Case). And they did not accept the road map which included an election. So since the reds are the only ones asking for an election and then they changed their minds and said they dont want it, in my mind it means no one in thailand wants an election-so why should the PM introduce something that is not wanted by the people of thailand.

BTW...i dont think any western country would have waited this long, they would have killed all the protesters the first day they went out of line, and they would never have offered an election-IMO the PM did something that he should be applauded for because he tried to settle the situation peacefully, which is more than first world country would have done.

Is that so?

The reds are the only ones that want elections, so the PM offered an election in November over 1 and a half years before it was due, and what did the reds do, they did not accept and then they tried to intervene with the justice system (Suthep's Case). And they did not accept the road map which included an election. So since the reds are the only ones asking for an election and then they changed their minds and said they dont want it, in my mind it means no one in thailand wants an election-so why should the PM introduce something that is not wanted by the people of thailand.

BTW...i dont think any western country would have waited this long, they would have killed all the protesters the first day they went out of line, and they would never have offered an election-IMO the PM did something that he should be applauded for because he tried to settle the situation peacefully, which is more than first world country would have done.

Thanks for try to explain to me but this was not hard enough as try.

To make more clear to you. I didn't mean Abhisit should to make any election all levels just because of reds, just because they want to. That would be clever to do as way to escape any further violence.

Same time, after he declare elections RIGHT NOW and not in November (too far and risky in this situation), any person who would stay at the rally point after that, would be signed is for war, not for peaceful solution.

I was talking about he should make elections right now(doesen't matter he did it once, but for November- which is like he didn't at all, btw) as way to "clear the field and make it visible and clear".

That way all public would see who left at the rally point is there for criminal reasons.

So, elections would be tactical move of PM but it could stop rally. If not-all people in Thailand would know where is the truth.

Let me tell you about your words about elections in November that he made.

First of all, it's too far and nobody believed him he would really do it, because his acting in whole situation. They lost any trust in him, if there was any, at all.

November is far away for such flamable situation as it is now. So, appointing elections for November was like buying time, nothing else.

Next, he made a blackmail in negotiations about elections. He made condition reds have to disperse after his statement about elections in November. What he has done then? After he saw they didn't disperse-he pull back his words about elections and that is not what experienced and mature politicians would ever do in such flamable situation.

Also, he cut supplies to protesters. Food and water. Same time he punished citizens around rally point. Was it clever at all? I don't think so. It was just oil to fire in already so hard situation.

As BTW, because there was no water, firemen couldn't work. Was that clever? I don't think so.

So, now you could understand why reds didn't believe to him about November elections and didn't want to disperse. He was angry with them about it and he take back his promise, like some kid. He made they be like in Warsaw gheto, or nazi camp and all gone out of control because he was stubborn, not wise to make elections right now and to "clear" rally.

In so hard situation in Thailand, to make elections after 4 months is immature, irresponsible playing with the matches.

I am not for reds, but i understand their reactions were provoked by acting of PM or maybe they predicted what Abhisit will do, so they didn't believe any simgle word he said.

I told before, all going to be Bosnia, Beirut or Belfast or maybe Abhisit will order tanks make another Tiananmen Square protests in 1989 in China with thousands deaths.

As you compare this situation with western countries, i will deeply disagree with you now. You are very wrong and i am sure if in ANY western country die more then 15 people in spot-government will step down in a day.

Sorry to disagree with you but no any western country ever had situation like this. Impossible to happen, at all.

This Government is going to take, or cause by acting, more lives then already did it.

Is that so?

Thanks for try to explain to me but this was not hard enough as try.

To make more clear to you. I didn't mean Abhisit should to make any election all levels just because of reds, just because they want to. That would be clever to do as way to escape any further violence.

Same time, after he declare elections RIGHT NOW and not in November (too far and risky in this situation), any person who would stay at the rally point after that, would be signed is for war, not for peaceful solution.

I was talking about he should make elections right now(doesen't matter he did it once, but for November- which is like he didn't at all, btw) as way to "clear the field and make it visible and clear".

That way all public would see who left at the rally point is there for criminal reasons.

So, elections would be tactical move of PM but it could stop rally. If not-all people in Thailand would know where is the truth.

Let me tell you about your words about elections in November that he made.

First of all, it's too far and nobody believed him he would really do it, because his acting in whole situation. They lost any trust in him, if there was any, at all.

November is far away for such flamable situation as it is now. So, appointing elections for November was like buying time, nothing else.

Next, he made a blackmail in negotiations about elections. He made condition reds have to disperse after his statement about elections in November. What he has done then? After he saw they didn't disperse-he pull back his words about elections and that is not what experienced and mature politicians would ever do in such flamable situation.

Also, he cut supplies to protesters. Food and water. Same time he punished citizens around rally point. Was it clever at all? I don't think so. It was just oil to fire in already so hard situation.

As BTW, because there was no water, firemen couldn't work. Was that clever? I don't think so.

So, now you could understand why reds didn't believe to him about November elections and didn't want to disperse. He was angry with them about it and he take back his promise, like some kid. He made they be like in Warsaw gheto, or nazi camp and all gone out of control because he was stubborn, not wise to make elections right now and to "clear" rally.

In so hard situation in Thailand, to make elections after 4 months is immature, irresponsible playing with the matches.

I am not for reds, but i understand their reactions were provoked by acting of PM or maybe they predicted what Abhisit will do, so they didn't believe any simgle word he said.

I told before, all going to be Bosnia, Beirut or Belfast or maybe Abhisit will order tanks make another Tiananmen Square protests in 1989 in China with thousands deaths.

As you compare this situation with western countries, i will deeply disagree with you now. You are very wrong and i am sure if in ANY western country die more then 15 people in spot-government will step down in a day.

Sorry to disagree with you but no any western country ever had situation like this. Impossible to happen, at all.

This Government is going to take, or cause by acting, more lives then already did it.

I stopped reading after the 3rd single-sentence paragraph. Better luck next time.

Kavit great piece of distorting

"Thailand's election to the UN Human Rights Council last week saved the country from sinking deeper into the abyss. The hard-won seat, which came at the height of street tensions and battles, showed that the country still enjoyed a good reservoir of support among the international community. Scoring the second highest votes of 182 after Maldives at 185, they did better than the other 12 countries, including Spain, Switzerland and Poland. However, the diplomatic capital, especially on the home front, is getting thinner by the day".

Hard won seat 4 nominations for 4 positions. Excellent analysis!

5 votes more than Qatar and 3 more than Malaysia.

From below you can see Thailand have 25% of the vote and Spain have 50% of the vote but that is distorting information as well.

Below from UN make your own assessment. Don't forget Political prisoners over the last whatever years. Rohingya, Drugs, Hmong, internet and media.

Number of votes in parentheses obtained in a single round of balloting (the required majority was 97):

• African States (4 seats)
    • Angola (170 votes)
    • Libyan Arab Jamahiriya (155 votes)
    • Mauritania (167 votes)
    • Uganda (164 votes)

[*]Asian States (4 seats)

• Malaysia (179 votes)
    • Maldives (185 votes)
    • Qatar (177 votes)
    • Thailand (182 votes)

[*]Eastern European States (2 seats)

• Poland (171 votes)
    • Republic of Moldova (175 votes)

[*]Latin American and Caribbean States (2 seats)

• Ecuador (180 votes)
    • Guatemala (180 votes)
    • Peru (1 vote)

[*]Western European and Other States (2 seats)

• Spain (177 votes)
    • Switzerland (175 votes)