Need A Used Tranny

The Transmission in my beloved classic 1984 Volvo has some clutch problems. Rather than spend 30,000+ for a lengthy rebuild, I would like to know if there are any large junkyards in BKK. My buddy found a used tranny for 13,000Baht but was for a newer pickup.I live in Pattaya and if anyone here has experience with a trusty/good transmission shop , please PM me. Thanks in advance with any help. Jack :):D

A clutch? It's a manual?? If it ain't broke don't fix it in a sense, take my word for it you're likely to get a much bigger piece of junk you have to replace more then once.. I just bough a tranny for my VW but it was because 5th gear was foul and the most anyone would warranty a used one for was 2 weeks and there was good reason for that as it didn't have 5th gear either once I finished installing it.. Once it is installed you'd have to pay again for everything else to be done all over again so in short you could very likely end up spending that much and more putting in numerous trannies on a car that age not knowing the history of those junk trannies, if it's only the clutch, fix it...

Edited by WarpSpeed

A clutch? It's a manual?? If it ain't broke don't fix it in a sense, take my word for it you're likely to get a much bigger piece of junk you have to replace more then once.. I just bough a tranny for my VW but it was because 5th gear was foul and the most anyone would warranty a used one for was 2 weeks and there was good reason for that as it didn't have 5th gear either once I finished installing it.. Once it is installed you'd have to pay again for everything else to be done all over again so in short you could very likely end up spending that much and more putting in numerous trannies on a car that age not knowing the history of those junk trannies, if it's only the clutch, fix it...

It is an automatic and they also have clutches. Same same only different. I am still exploring some options also right now. Since it has all the fluid, yet is slipping/shuddering when you accelerate at low speeds it means that the clutches just aren't getting the oil to them so I am draining it and changing the filter and looking over the modulator valve. Hopefully this will get it going...20% chance I figure. I have run into some amazingly good deals at junk yards. Where I used to be from, junkyards will generally guarantee engines and trannies for a short while even. We are not in Kansas anymore though so thought I might check it out... :)

No "slaggin'" going on here...automatics are not my forte so any and all info is immensely appreciated!!

Is it the original engine and tranny in your Volvo, or is it a 1JZ? Can help you about repairing the auto tranny, but need some time to do the job.

It is an automatic and they also have clutches. Same same only different. I am still exploring some options also right now. Since it has all the fluid, yet is slipping/shuddering when you accelerate at low speeds it means that the clutches just aren't getting the oil to them so I am draining it and changing the filter and looking over the modulator valve. Hopefully this will get it going...20% chance I figure. I have run into some amazingly good deals at junk yards. Where I used to be from, junkyards will generally guarantee engines and trannies for a short while even. We are not in Kansas anymore though so thought I might check it out... :)

Yes I'm aware that autos have clutches too but from the vagueness of your OP I hope you can understand the confusion... Anyway Dorothy yes you're a long way from Kansas and junk parts warrantee's here are like everything else backed, #1 only as good as the junk yard you purchase from and #2 still junk compared to back home where a 3 or 6 month warrantee is common. Here the best I could do was 2 weeks on the first tranny (needed to be replaced only got a credit or spend double effort to remove and return not feasible and anyway I wanted a spare for rebuilding so in the end I still made out as I also hadn't spent the money on replacing all the external seals yet) and a week on the second one and they are manuals not autos...#2 Is still in and working well but I know I'm on borrowed time based on the crap I cleaned out of that unit prior to installing so I need to get one of my spares reconditioned ASAP.

I hope your clean up and service works, it is certainly the way to go first keeping cost down but in the end all else is a gamble having just done this tap dance I don't envy you you're position, good luck...

No "slaggin'" going on here...automatics are not my forte so any and all info is immensely appreciated!!

Is it the original engine and tranny in your Volvo, or is it a 1JZ? Can help you about repairing the auto tranny, but need some time to do the job.

My Tranny is pretty old, could you fix that too? Help appreciated.

It is an automatic and they also have clutches. Same same only different. I am still exploring some options also right now. Since it has all the fluid, yet is slipping/shuddering when you accelerate at low speeds it means that the clutches just aren't getting the oil to them so I am draining it and changing the filter and looking over the modulator valve. Hopefully this will get it going...20% chance I figure. I have run into some amazingly good deals at junk yards. Where I used to be from, junkyards will generally guarantee engines and trannies for a short while even. We are not in Kansas anymore though so thought I might check it out... :D

Yes I'm aware that autos have clutches too but from the vagueness of your OP I hope you can understand the confusion... Anyway Dorothy yes you're a long way from Kansas and junk parts warrantee's here are like everything else backed, #1 only as good as the junk yard you purchase from and #2 still junk compared to back home where a 3 or 6 month warrantee is common. Here the best I could do was 2 weeks on the first tranny (needed to be replaced only got a credit or spend double effort to remove and return not feasible and anyway I wanted a spare for rebuilding so in the end I still made out as I also hadn't spent the money on replacing all the external seals yet) and a week on the second one and they are manuals not autos...#2 Is still in and working well but I know I'm on borrowed time based on the crap I cleaned out of that unit prior to installing so I need to get one of my spares reconditioned ASAP.

I hope your clean up and service works, it is certainly the way to go first keeping cost down but in the end all else is a gamble having just done this tap dance I don't envy you you're position, good luck...

"""""Yes I'm aware that autos have clutches too but from the vagueness of your OP I hope you can understand the confusion"""""

:)

Well, let me guess most Americans don't need a clutch, right?

What was first? The egg or the chicken?

Op, a modulator valve will cause problems in all gears, same as a faulty TC, a sticking regulator might cause the problem, but i would go for the valve body, a broken shift spring,worn seals or plungers,But, and a big BUT, is that if youve changed the oil and filter ect and its no different,and the oil is black and smells like burnt peanuts,then its too late for a minor repair, what happens is the pegged clutch plates wear a step in there drum, causing them to stick, due to low oil pressure caused by the broken/sticking valve body,

Time and cost of such a repair would be exstensive i imagine,

If you go looking for a s/h trans, try to find a recent write off rather than an old worn out car, even then, pop out the TC and pour some oil out, if its cherry red or a very light colour, ok, if its black, avoid it!!

Good Luck,,

My Tranny is pretty old, could you fix that too? Help appreciated.

Can fix any auto trannies (vacum controlled), if they are not controlled by the engine management. Some simple trannies with electrical solenoids (like Opel Corsa or Holden Calais) we can fix as well, but newer ones, Benz Audi or BMW, are a nightmare. Can not be done without the specific computer analyses. Most of the tranny problems in never cars is not the tranny it's self. it's in the electronics.

Go see first what engine is in your car. Mosthly there changed the Volvos with the 1G or 1JZ or 2 JZ Toyota / Yahama engines. In this case you can find easly a second hand tranny.

The used parts warranty issue is a bugger.

I bought new plates for an autobox on the recommendation of the garage, they didn't work then I had to buy a whole box which came with a whole week warranty! the money I lashed out, I was p_issed! I could have bought a better engine and gearbox for just a little bit more. But I have to say that garage was a one off. I'd not relieve myself on them if they were on fire now. TWUNTS!!

Yeah for my purposes I actually made out on the warrantee since I wanted at least a complete tranny for rebuild and backup or another future purpose which I can either sell with the car or separately and get my money back double or triple since I did all the work myself, I have far greater confidence in what has been done and it only cost me my time but the back to back costs of transmissions though less expensive, was still a budgetary hit..As it worked out with refunds/credits though I only paid about 3000b for a used VW tranny in the end..

I would have lost money had I replaced all of the seals on the second unit like I did on the third one, that was a fortunate decision I had made after inspecting them thoroughly both times..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Wow! Excellent responses and I even learned a great deal. Thank you to everyone for the help. I believe this was the best, intelligent response I have gotten or seen on Thai Visa...ever! Again a big thanks to all and will keep everyone posted as to how it gets sorted. I know everyone is sitting on the edge of their chairs, holding their breath waiting for my response. Jack

I don't recommend buying a used tranny from a junk. it is better to rebuild especially Volvos.

If it were a Honda or Toyota it would be more cost effective to buy a used one.

I know a good shop that specializes in older Volvos in Taling Chan, Pin Klao. Prawat Service, near Wat Kai Thia.