On Nut Bomb?

DangerfieldLives

A thread on the Facebook ban was closed because there were similar posts, however there was a second question asked there that should have been left for discussion. That part read as follows:

"Are there any reports on the supposed bomb at Tesco Lotus On-nut earlier this evening? I read that it had happened on TV but have heard nothing since."

Anybody have any info on this? I also heard something earlier this evening... Any confirmation (or not) on an explosion at Tesco Lotus On Nut would be appreciated.

I too am trying to find out further information, as this seems just a rumour at present. I live on sukhumvit 71 and was aiming to go to on nut on foot around 4pm ish today. I got near the top of soi 71 and saw lots of panicking Thais turning back from Phra khanong. There were lots of cars turning back too. I have never seen so many people or traffic on this soi. I heard what sounded like gunshots but wasn't sure if that's what they were. A couple of helicopters were flying overhead etc.

I turned back and went into KFC near Just Co and the people in there told me there was a bomb somewhere. I thought it was Phra khanong. Something happened to scare people in this area for sure.

Peace and be safe,

Bornslippy

Gathered from a relative who works nearby:

They said a bomb was set off at Tesco's, somewhere at the front. At the same time several redshirts on motorbikes shot guns - nobody seems sure who they were firing at but everyone ran. It was reported after this that the redshirts entered Tesco's and detained some of the staff as hostages while others ransacked the place and took mostly food supplies. It seems that nobody was hurt. Please note - this is just reports from locals at the scene.

The bomb at Prakanong was apparently Bangkok Bank being torched in a separate incident.

I can confirm: There were indeed explosions and popping sounds, like gunshots yesterday at about 5pm. I heard it from my balcony about 500m away of this particular TESCO Lotus (On Nut).

I too am trying to find out further information, as this seems just a rumour at present. I live on sukhumvit 71 and was aiming to go to on nut on foot around 4pm ish today. I got near the top of soi 71 and saw lots of panicking Thais turning back from Phra khanong. There were lots of cars turning back too. I have never seen so many people or traffic on this soi. I heard what sounded like gunshots but wasn't sure if that's what they were. A couple of helicopters were flying overhead etc.

I turned back and went into KFC near Just Co and the people in there told me there was a bomb somewhere. I thought it was Phra khanong. Something happened to scare people in this area for sure.

Peace and be safe,

Bornslippy

I was out there at that time. We got caught in the middle of small explosions, gun shots, and motorbikes riding around with molitov cocktails. I was down a little ways past the bridge in a taxi and had to hop out and head back the opposite direction.

Hi. I live near the top end of On Nut and walked the area at about 9:30 this morning. The area around the Carrefour on On Nut [at Soi 2] is open, completely undamaged, and business as usual. The 7-11's on both sides at the top of On Nut are the same. walking to Tesco-Lotus from Carrefour, I saw no damage [if the telephone booths had broken glass, I must have missed it, not saying it wasn't there, though]. Quite a few shops are closed, but I assume they just decided to take a holiday, considering the curfews. The Tesco-Lotus On Nut had no visible damage at all [no broken glass, etc.], the McDonalds/KFC/Pizza Hut/etc were all open, as was the main Tesco store was open and VERY busy, as was the Carrefour. The public buses are also running. If I see something developing in the next few days, I'll post it here or in the appropriate thread. BTW, I'm planning to go to Seacon Square in a little while, and I'll provide an update on that area as well. Everyone take care!

Gathered from a relative who works nearby:

They said a bomb was set off at Tesco's, somewhere at the front. At the same time several redshirts on motorbikes shot guns - nobody seems sure who they were firing at but everyone ran. It was reported after this that the redshirts entered Tesco's and detained some of the staff as hostages while others ransacked the place and took mostly food supplies. It seems that nobody was hurt. Please note - this is just reports from locals at the scene.

The bomb at Prakanong was apparently Bangkok Bank being torched in a separate incident.

I also live in Phra Khanong, Pridi 16. was the incident you refer to today or yesterday?

I heard the explosions and gunfire yesterday from my balcony (Suk. 89.). Walked to lotus this morning, every phone booth and bus stop on the way was shattered. One bus stop was hit by a molotov. Bangkok Bank branch near Soi 83 had front windows shattered.

I heard the explosions and gunfire yesterday from my balcony (Suk. 89.). Walked to lotus this morning, every phone booth and bus stop on the way was shattered. One bus stop was hit by a molotov. Bangkok Bank branch near Soi 83 had front windows shattered.

Little out of the way, but Thaivisa George just wrote this on his Twitter feed:

"Reports of gunshots being heard at sukhumvit Soi 71 (pra-khanong). Can anyone confirm?"

I was in the area about 8.30pm and didn't hear anything. I think that was before the reports of gunfire were heard though. No responses to that tweet so far. Anybody have any info?