Hire A Mountain Bike?

mattcodes

Where can I hire a mountain bike for a month or two (I say mountain bike meaning one suitable for the roads here)? - need to get some more exercise in

The ones in BigC/Tesco are laughable, like the ones you get out the back of The Sun / BidUp tv for £40inc except for 4x the price.

you can rent a bike from spice roads www.spiceroads.com, but better to buy a new bike, i would suggest you purchase one from www.probike.co.th check prices on the web, you can ask for discounts.

Are you sure that spiceroads has a branch in Samui?

I agree though that for someone who is a resident it would be better to buy a bike rather than rent one.

I looked all over Samui last time I was there for bike shops. The situation looked pretty bleak. There used to be an outfit in Lamai called Red Bike that rented out low-end Cannondale mountain bikes but that seems to be gone. Other than that all the shops seem to be at best places selling kids' bikes or single speed bikes that are not even on par with a Flying Pigeon. I also don't recall seeing more than a couple of other cyclists other than me on the roads, so I suspect that the problem is that there's just not much demand for bicycles in Samui.

Edited by OriginalPoster

you can rent a bike from spice roads www.spiceroads.com, but better to buy a new bike, i would suggest you purchase one from www.probike.co.th check prices on the web, you can ask for discounts.

Are you sure that spiceroads has a branch in Samui?

I agree though that for someone who is a resident it would be better to buy a bike rather than rent one.

I looked all over Samui last time I was there for bike shops. The situation looked pretty bleak. There used to be an outfit in Lamai called Red Bike that rented out low-end Cannondale mountain bikes but that seems to be gone. Other than that all the shops seem to be at best places selling kids' bikes or single speed bikes that are not even on par with a Flying Pigeon. I also don't recall seeing more than a couple of other cyclists other than me on the roads, so I suspect that the problem is that there's just not much demand for bicycles in Samui.

So true about the demand!! :D Red Bike is still there but with a new setup. The old owner has gone, but the new owner still hires out bikes I believe. Not always open sadly. :D

There is a shop in Maenam just before the Post Office on the right hand side coming from Bophut. I got mine from there about a year ago. Much better than Tescos, maybe about 7,000 Baht. Shimano gears. LA Bicycle is the make I think. (It's in the garage gathering dust at the moment. :) ) But it works and is fine for these roads. Which is more than can be said for my legs. :D

there is a new bike shop on the road going into chaweng on the lake road opposite the road to q bar,have alot in there for sell,mostly trek start at 12,000b,prices are cheaper than bkk,i will be buying one from there soon.dont think they rent,better to buy i would think.

sorry matt, didn't see anywhere in your post that you were on koh samui! i've always felt the problem with rented equipment is that you never know when it might break in half and break your neck at the same time :) besides with aluminium bikes you never can tell.

So true about the demand!! :D Red Bike is still there but with a new setup. The old owner has gone, but the new owner still hires out bikes I believe. Not always open sadly. :D

There is a shop in Maenam just before the Post Office on the right hand side coming from Bophut. I got mine from there about a year ago. Much better than Tescos, maybe about 7,000 Baht. Shimano gears. LA Bicycle is the make I think. (It's in the garage gathering dust at the moment. :) ) But it works and is fine for these roads. Which is more than can be said for my legs. :D

I guess the low demand for bikes is understandable given how dangerous the roads are and how steep some of the hills are.

I tried looking for that shop in Maenam a few weeks ago but I failed to find it. I gave up looking pretty quickly though since I was just curious to see the store, I didn't actually need to buy anything at the time.

Edited by OriginalPoster

there is a bike shop immediately prior to the "T" junction at the south end of nathon, if you are headed south through nathon that is. i've never stopped in but have walked past many times and they always appeared to have a selection much better than either big c or tesco. wouldn't expect any miracles but at least it's an option.

there's a mountain bike rential shop in lamai, turn left to go to the macdonald then reach the cross road, turn left there's a small siam city bank money exchange and just 20M after on the left hand is the shop.

there is a new bike shop on the road going into chaweng on the lake road opposite the road to q bar,have alot in there for sell,mostly trek start at 12,000b,prices are cheaper than bkk,i will be buying one from there soon.dont think they rent,better to buy i would think.

I went in there today have decent mountain bike with shimano for 8,500.

What make was that?i only saw trek and fisher,have fork suspension?

What make was that?i only saw trek and fisher,have fork suspension?

Sorry I can't remember the name it's got fork suspension and is and 18 inch frame.

Been seeing a quite active cycling group on the roads lately. All seem to be Thai, some young and some middle aged, all with bike clothing, helmets, and fat tire mountain bike style bikes. They seem pretty serious, at least about exercising. I see them mostly at dusk on the West and North sides of the island (4017). My guess is that they are pretty friendly and anybody serious about riding would be welcome. Don't know if they go off road, but it could be that I see them on the roads at the ends of rides off road (or at least off of the paved roads) as no one has skinny tire bikes. They seem mostly fit, but a few have enough of a gut to give us older types hope (my best cycling days are 30 years back).

I know the guys near "75" next to the dentist cycle at least once a week. Also spoke to the guy that owns the new bike shop on Chaweng Lake road and he said that there are about 20-30 of them that get out a couple of times a week, up over the mountain at Nathon etc, so good riding. Go and check him out or the guys next to the dentist, they are all really friendly guys and you will probably get some help if you speak to them.

listen ! there is a good quality mountain bike rental near the gas staion doown the side road in lamui. proper bikes. it is not my shop and i have no financial interest in the shop but i knopw good quality. up to u lot if u want to LISTEN!!! arrhhh!!!! that ain't no lion in the jugle it is bic scream with fustration ! i need a massage :)

listen ! there is a good quality mountain bike rental near the gas staion doown the side road in lamui. proper bikes. it is not my shop and i have no financial interest in the shop but i knopw good quality. up to u lot if u want to LISTEN!!! arrhhh!!!! that ain't no lion in the jugle it is bic scream with fustration ! i need a massage :)

BigC, those directions may be a bit hard to follow for someone who isn't intimately familiar with the area.

Edited by OriginalPoster

BigC, those directions may be a bit hard to follow for someone who isn't intimately familiar with the area.

ok it is just over there. is that better :D

seriously PM me if u want proper instructions. there is another 2 in chaweng. just passed it today. looked proper. think it is getting more popular enting bikes out

Surprisingly, there are more than a few well equipped Thais on their mountain bikes on the streets at 18:00h nowadays on the island.

(Can remember the times when riding a bicycle was considered a matter for the ones who cannot afford a motorbike and writing down how many 0 are after the 1 for a real good bicycle.)

• 2 months later...

Surprisingly, there are more than a few well equipped Thais on their mountain bikes on the streets at 18:00h nowadays on the island.

(Can remember the times when riding a bicycle was considered a matter for the ones who cannot afford a motorbike and writing down how many 0 are after the 1 for a real good bicycle.)

It' the same on Phuket 5 shops now and dozens of MTB with some very expensive bikes... big turnouts on race day, getting more popular by the month.

Mattcodes...good topic thread, where are you located? Samui?

I'm in the Pattaya area and there are about 5-6 decent bicycle shops.

Yes, I'm not including the department store quality bikes. Those bikes do serve a purpose for around-the-town errands.

I think many lads on this forum have the funds to purchase a decent bicycle. For starters, 16k baht all the way past 35k baht.

You do get what you pay for.....pay attention to ThaiVisa classifieds if a good ride suddenly becomes available.

In USA as well as UK, there is a phenomenal 2nd hand bicycle market. I know of guys that routinely spend 256k baht on an all-carbon

Santa Cruz mtn bike. Anything over 35k b is a little rich for my own blood.

The secondary market in USA and UK is created by the early adopters who simply have to have the latest and greatest whatever.

Bicycle junkies.

You can easily purchase a $1500 bicycle in the USA for a 3rd the price, especially with the deteriorating economy.

People who bought a great bike have it hanging in their garage, unused and essentially brand new!

Buy a bike like this (craiglist in USA, UK and Thailand) are also good places to shop. I had a tenant in USA once who's business was to

suss out bike ads, find a $1200USD bike, buy it for $150 USD and fix it up and sell it for $600USD.

Many fine bikes are sitting in garages in UK and USA, unused, Tap one of these to bring over.

Add in good tyres and slime tubes and Kevlar tube liners and figure in $200 USD/6500b for airlines to ship your falang bicycle to Prathet Thai.

This is what I did. There really is not a secondary bicycle market in Thailand. Not yet anyway. It'll come with time.

Yes, go to any bicycle shop and they'll break down and box your bike for you. I just did it myself. No problems, worked like a charm.

Remove the crank, wrap your tyres with that plastic saran wrap as well as the frame. Bring tools. Easy to assemble once in Thailand.

Bring CO2 cartridges for a quick airfill of tyres.

For some oddball reason, there are a cluster of 3 bicycle shops where Soi 8 tees into Theppasit Road at Jomtien.

Yeah, if you turned east, you are within spitting ditance of Sukhmvit and the night market that teems there on the weekend.

If one is southbound on Soi 8, approaching Theppasit at an oblique angle, there is a huge TREK sign on your left.

Decent shop and very nice rides: Trek, Gary Fischer, etc. The guy and his wife run the shop. Many Thais and falangs in there and yes, they do

have some decent used rides for sale. I would buy from them.

For some reason, they are not warm and affectionate. "Diffident" is the word I would choose. They are not trying to curry your biz. They come across as

they could care less. Odd. Who cares, they do carrying top-qulaity riding machines at fair prices. Good accesories as well. Like a handlebar mounted mirror--

highly recommended.

Across the street is another bicycle shop, but has no where near the quality of the TREK bicycle shop.

Now head west, away from Sukhumvit about another 1-2 blocks and you come upon "LA Bicycle" run by Pratheep Klinsukhon.

Phones: 038 300 606 ........... 038 300 953 .............081 915 9909 email: pratheep25@hotmailcom

This is the best bicycle mechainc in the whole Pattaya area, imho.

I stopped in for a CatEye cyclo computer, 700b. Fine...it included installation of cycloe computer, adjustment of deraileurs, free lube and test drive, all for 700b.

Sweet. Pratheep and his wife run the shop and it is filled with Thais and falangs. I got the distinct hint that he can and would be happy to order any bike you might wish to

procur. Frame size, whatever you need.

Check it out...

For what it is worth, there are severla bicycle shops on Sukhumvit in the Pattaya Nua/Klang area. I have not personally checked these out.

They are there, just have not gotten to them yet.

There's a good MTB rental shop in Patong Phuket.