Thai Troops Hunt Militants As Bangkok Smoulders

webfact

Thai troops hunt militants as Bangkok smoulders

by Anusak Konglang

BANGKOK (AFP) -- Thai troops Thursday hunted for militant protesters who left parts of Bangkok in flames as the authorities extended a night curfew in the capital despite tentative signs of a return to normality.

The top leader of the anti-government "Red Shirt" movement urged supporters to halt the mayhem that left major buildings smouldering and in ruins after a deadly army crackdown ended a six-week rally in the retail heart of the city.

"Democracy cannot be built on revenge. Good things are built on non-violence," Veera Musikapong said after surrendering to police along with other top leaders in the face of the military offensive that left 15 dead.

The toll from Wednesday's offensive rose after authorities said nine people had been killed in a gunbattle at a Buddhist temple inside the Reds' ruined camp, where thousands of protesters cowered in fear overnight.

Under the watch of saffron-clad monks, the bodies of six of the victims were laid out in the temple garden, under a portrait of Thailand's revered king, who has been hospitalised since September and has not commented on the crisis.

After the terrified protesters were led out through a police cordon, the army said it was not responsible for the deaths, in a "safe zone" where many women and children had sought shelter.

The stock exchange and the nation's biggest shopping mall were among dozens of locations set ablaze in the chaotic aftermath of the campaign to end the Reds' occupation of Bangkok's top retail district.

Political observers warned that Thailand's troubles were far from over and that more civil unrest in the capital and the Reds' rural heartland was likely as a split widens between the kingdom's elite and the rural and urban poor.

"It's not the end of the conflict, it's just the beginning of another phase of war -- whatever you want to call it, civil war, guerrilla warfare," said Pavin Chachavalpongpun from the Institute of Southeast Asian Studies.

Bangkok prepared for a second night under curfew, and authorities announced the measures would continue until Saturday as they work to stamp out pockets of resistance among the Red Shirt movement.

The curfew has been extended to cover 23 provinces as the conflict spread outside the capital. Four provincial halls were targeted by arsonists Wednesday, and some 13,000 rallied in rural areas, the army said.

Soldiers fired warning shots Thursday as they took up positions in the ruins of the Reds' rally site in the capital, attempting to restore order but warning that rebel snipers were still positioned on high rise buildings.

New York-based Human Rights Watch said both sides had committed "serious abuses" during the confrontation.

The chaos continued to spark condemnation from around the world, with the EU parliament calling on the government to use only minimum force.

Voicing their "deep concern about the violent conflict," Euro MPs in Strasbourg passed a resolution underlining that it "poses a threat to democracy in the country."

But the unruly mobs that had roamed Bangkok late Wednesday before the curfew began appeared to have retreated and the flashpoints of the last few days were quiet.

A clean-up operation got under way in a vast area of central Bangkok where demonstrators had set up camp with areas for sleeping, eating and washing.

Government offices, schools, the stock exchange and banks have been shut for the rest of the week to keep civilians off the street, and the city's two main train networks were closed.

Since the Red Shirts began street rallies in mid-March 82 people including two foreign journalists have been killed in clashes and blasts, and some 1,800 injured.

"At this moment we are at the most difficult point in Thai history," said Thawil Pliensri, secretary general of the country's National Security Council, urging the government to tread carefully or risk inflaming the situation.

Troops and police had moved in Wednesday in an overwhelming offensive, punching through the Reds' towering homemade barricades made of tyres and razor wire and triggering battles with hardline protesters.

Those militant elements ran amok after their leaders turned themselves in to police, starting fires that left 35 locations in the capital ablaze including the vast Central World mall which is now partly collapsed.

Three more protest leaders surrendered to the authorities, bringing to eight the number of top Red Shirts who are now in police custody.

"Police finished the surrender process with initial questioning and health checks," said Lieutenant General Thangai Prasajaksattru, commander of Thailand's Central Investigation Bureau.

The Red leaders were being moved in military camp in Phetchaburi province southwest of Bangkok, he said.

The Reds are mostly supporters of ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra who was ousted in a 2006 coup and who is now accused by the government of bankrolling the protests and inciting the deadly unrest.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-05-21

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Nation reported something like 90 had been arrested from the arson spree - bet there will be more to come, as video footage is analysed, etc. Does seem that the BIB are more active, now that the Reds have been defeated. I think they can feel the hammer hanging above there heads. Lot of "transfers to inactive posts" coming soon I would wager.

So how many people have actually been detained after all this? I see hundreds going home on buses but very few of the "terrorists" being apprehended.

I read somewhere yesterday that there were about 150 taken down to Hua Hin ... or somewhere. The leaders were taken to Hua Hin. Not 100% sure where the others were taken.

Makes me almost sick to read these 'human rights' experts sitting around in London talk about the 'unfair treatment' of the reds. Are we supposed to just sit there and watch them continue to bomb, loot and set fire to the city? What's wrong with them?! :)

Makes me almost sick to read these 'human rights' experts sitting around in London talk about the 'unfair treatment' of the reds. Are we supposed to just sit there and watch them continue to bomb, loot and set fire to the city? What's wrong with them?! :)

Didn't you know that it's a human right to be allowed to ruin other people's property and lives?

So how many people have actually been detained after all this? I see hundreds going home on buses but very few of the "terrorists" being apprehended.

I read somewhere yesterday that there were about 150 taken down to Hua Hin ... or somewhere. The leaders were taken to Hua Hin. Not 100% sure where the others were taken.

Yes, while this was brewing there were numerous reports of 500 - 1,000 black shirted Ronin ninja patrol guards, or whatever they were called, loyal to Seh Daeng. I wonder who is leading them now, where they are, and when they will resurface

Petchaburi army base, actually... closer to Cha-Am than Hua Hin.

Do you think the death penalty can be used for most of the red shirt leaders? Just dig a ditch, throw them all in, and bury them alive. That or throw them out of a helicopter over the ocean....

that is a stupid comment tominbkk.

i live in a small village in ubon, where the people are mostly reds although only 2 went to bkk and returned after 3 days back in april. but the problems the people here have been brainwashed by thaksins populist policies and that is REAL...so what does this mean? it means alot of the reds are normal people who are generally from the country and are simple people(no offense). so you cant just say kill the leaders or these simpletons (paid by thakin etc) will be told to fight for the cause again and again...

also thailand is very corrupt even in a small village of 250 people there are vote buying schemes. my wife told me she got 500 baht for voting! so people here think its normal to except money to follow like the poor sheep they are... :)

peace to thailand...the poor/rural people desevre more, there are REAL poor people in this country

That's exactly the point and I am wondering why this fact is noit dicussed more! Everone who knows poeple form such villages is fully aware of the payments they get for each vote. Even on the local vollage level. As long as this is going on any democracy will fail misarably.

That's exactly the point and I am wondering why this fact is noit dicussed more! Everone who knows poeple form such villages is fully aware of the payments they get for each vote. Even on the local vollage level. As long as this is going on any democracy will fail misarably.

True statement, and this is why democracy has been a miserable failure throughout all the world.

Yes, while this was brewing there were numerous reports of 500 - 1,000 black shirted Ronin ninja patrol guards, or whatever they were called, loyal to Seh Daeng. I wonder who is leading them now, where they are, and when they will resurface

The army outposts better watch out or else these Ninjas will pay a visit to them and get more arms. Maybe a couple of handheld missiles to threaten the planes over Survanabhumi airport. It will certainly make the world news... Ninjas overrunning army barracks.

I'm surprised by the statement of the OP "deadly crackdown by the army". Considering the number of rioters involved and the level of aggression I would say that the army was extremely careful to keep deaths and injuries to an absolute minimum.

Thaksin has made another very bad investment. The leaders of the mob made a major mistake. They called , surely under Thaksins leadership, for violence from the beginning, threatening even to burn down the malls etc..

Had they instead put the emphasis on peace and made sure that not a single gun was within their compound, no resistance was offered to the authorities but a passive resistance offered like Ghandi did, they might have actually had a chance of success.

It would have been impossible for the government to remove them with force and the continued obstruction of Bangkok's business district would have eventually caused the Bangkok residents to call for a solution putting pressure on Abhisit to comply with their demands without a way out.

I think Thaksin underestimated Abhisits resolve and underestimated him as the statesman he is. By the latest actions of the wild, looting and burning mob, any legitimacy of the whole protest has been removed and the real, ugly face behind the whole sordid affair been exposed, removing most of any support it had at the beginning.

Thaksin is now facing charges of terrorism which can of course easily be backed up by the money trail, another thing he is apparently not very good at, money laundering. Having those charges over his head, his life will be a lot more difficult since many countries who may have been reluctant to extradite him on the corruption charges will be much more inclined to detain and extradite him on terrorist charges.

He may be restricted to 3 or 4 countries and hope that his jet will not run into any technical difficulties while flying over other nations.

The attempted coup's "grass roots" support (if it ever existed) is clearly not evident now. There are no masses uprising in the provinces, not even in Thaksins home province.

I think that by Monday "normalcy" will be restored and the long road to healing the country start. Abnisit will be able to implement his reforms (which he was already doing anyway) and once the people realize that he is a new, much more progressive leader with the whole country's well being on his mind and not like Thaksin who had turned Thailand into his own PLC, a new, much more stable Thailand will emerge. The"old fatheads" who of course supported Thaksin are going to be in exile with him or in prison, but in any case out of Thailand's politics.

Edited by Herm

Didn't you know that it's a human right to be allowed to ruin other people's property and lives?

Does that cover Asia or Europe only? :D

Human rights call for fair treatment of reds

Human rights call for fair treatment of the victims of Thaksins illegal war on drug (mass murder summary justice no trials)

Human rights call for fair treatment of the victims and their families regarding the Tak Bai massacre.

Human rights call for fair treatment of the missing ( sadly presumed murdered) prominent Muslim lawyer.

Human rights call for fair treatment of the victims of the looting, arson attacks and the disruption of life by the Red Shirts

Come on you HUMAN RIGHTS GROUPS don't forget this is a two way street.

You woolly minded 50 satang intellectuals insulated from the harsh realities of life really need to come down from your ivory towers and talk to the ordinary people whose lives have been dramatically altered by Thaksin and his paid thugs.

As I recall you were not so vocal nor did Thaksin take note of your protests when he was committing crimes against the Thai people.

Edited by siampolee

The Reds could not protest peacefully they had to act like Terrorists.

Now they should be tried as Terrorists.

I hope they can detain as many of them as soon as possible to make examples to the Red Shirts.

Because now Thailand will be in a worst recession than it was before the Riots IMHO.

Edited by Lizard2010

The army outposts better watch out or else these Ninjas will pay a visit to them and get more arms. Maybe a couple of handheld missiles to threaten the planes over Survanabhumi airport. It will certainly make the world news... Ninjas overrunning army barracks.

I'm sitting here comparing and contrasting that statement with that idi......er........fellow who was taped threatening to burn down Central World. Nah - different thing entirely....... Still, I hope for your sake that nothing comes down over Suvarnabhumi anytime real soon.

Edited by hawker9000

Nation reported something like 90 had been arrested from the arson spree - bet there will be more to come, as video footage is analysed, etc. Does seem that the BIB are more active, now that the Reds have been defeated. I think they can feel the hammer hanging above there heads. Lot of "transfers to inactive posts" coming soon I would wager.

Its ok BIB will be supplementing income by confiscating loot from the returning reds going through their road blocks

these 'human rights' experts have different brains, IMO they mistaken the entire subject.

the government not taking any action and save many life of those 'rioters', then they ruin the city slowly, they damage the ecomony and thousand and even more people loss their jobs. IMO, this is even more INHUMAN than what it is now.

The attempted coup's "grass roots" support (if it ever existed) is clearly not evident now. There are no masses uprising in the provinces, not even in Thaksins home province.

This is such a critical point.

What should be added is that throughout the reds occupation of Bangkok, not one neighbourhood and not one workers' group came out and joined them.

The reds are an enemy of the working class.

The red apologists are clearly deluding themselves as to their support.

Its ok BIB will be supplementing income by confiscating loot from the returning reds going through their road blocks

Bib are not happy facing a mob

But now they get them in small groups

The Bib we be very active

why are they even letting anyone go home?

they were all part of a illegal protest, they defied the orders to leave, they helped create the situation there is today, hence they should all be going to jail, not home.

they were all part of a illegal protest, they defied the orders to leave, they helped create the situation there is today, hence they should all be going to jail, not home.

It's better to let the peaceful protestors go. It gives a reconcilitary message.

This is such a critical point.

What should be added is that throughout the reds occupation of Bangkok, not one neighbourhood and not one workers' group came out and joined them.

The reds are an enemy of the working class.

The red apologists are clearly deluding themselves as to their support.

Maybe not a whole neighborhood but many locals joined them as their numbers increased each lunch time and evening. Of course they might just have been there for the entertainment

I just hope they can get on with it. They alll have red hearts and are all Thai's

After this past 2 months i am sure this goverment and the next one will add reform that will benifit the Reds up in Essan.

my thoughts exactly. defying gov't orders, illegally occupying an area after being told time and again, accepting bribes for political purposes, thats just a starting list for the lesser participants.

Do you think the death penalty can be used for most of the red shirt leaders? Just dig a ditch, throw them all in, and bury them alive. That or throw them out of a helicopter over the ocean....

that is a stupid comment tominbkk.

i live in a small village in ubon, where the people are mostly reds although only 2 went to bkk and returned after 3 days back in april. but the problems the people here have been brainwashed by thaksins populist policies and that is REAL...so what does this mean? it means alot of the reds are normal people who are generally from the country and are simple people(no offense). so you cant just say kill the leaders or these simpletons (paid by thakin etc) will be told to fight for the cause again and again...

also thailand is very corrupt even in a small village of 250 people there are vote buying schemes. my wife told me she got 500 baht for voting! so people here think its normal to except money to follow like the poor sheep they are... :)

peace to thailand...the poor/rural people desevre more, there are REAL poor people in this country

Ummm, I said red LEADERS. I realize that the flock cannot be blamed for following the leaders, money and a promised utopia led them to BKK, and the govt. was very kind to fund their way back home.

At least prison for life, and take away all their money, so it can help pay for the devastation their irresponsible leadership has caused Thailand.

TAN: CRES: 4 reasons why army need to control Silom:

1.weapon storage

2.several embassies

3.to stop gunshots

4.easier to narrow the area down

yet, they seem to be get nothing in the last couple of days ? I mean confirmed terrorists / militants ?