People Ignoring The Curfew?

davejonesbkk

So Im looking out my window now near sukumwit soi 103 and see quite a few cars on the road, just spoke to a friend on the phone who was down a bar near cowboy and that there were people around, I had a feeling this would happen as there never seems to be much regard for the law here. What about other areas? Are you seeing this? I think Im going our for a drink tomorrow tonight curfew or not! Getting serious cabin fever now :)

Edited by davejonesbkk

Here in Dusit area my 7/11 was closed 8PM with staff busy covering windows from the inside. Luckily a local shop still open, but crowded. Have beer, will stay home :-)

Bars are opening earlier in the afternoon. The last bar closed up in cowboy at 8:30pm tonight, giving time for people to wander home. Best burgers in Bangkok (seriously) at Cactus 1pm+ tomorrow but don't expect to stay past 8pm!

What's with covering the windows in 7-11 and Family Mart with newsprint? Everyone already knows what's inside.

Haven't you ever heard the maxim, "Out of sight, out of mind?" Gonna make me chuck away another lifelong pearl of wisdom? :)

i was actually VERY suprised thet here in phahonyothin (where i live) was ZERO traffic/peoples moving arround.

i can see from my condo also 2nd expressway, morchit busterminal and vhiphavadi road ....

at 1 am there was about 1 car/hour ...

actually i was seriously belive that noone give a shit ... but it seems otherwise ...

guess too many peoples still have 1992 in there heads.

as i totally agree ... specially in BKK .. noone care about anything like law, rules ... expet the fit for themselfs.

I'm in Chiang Mai, where curfew was never really enforced anyway. Last night I was out until after midnight, and still plenty people around. Some bars were only semi-open, with no loud music playing. There are very few checkpoints that are easily avoided, but there's no point in avoiding them as they don't stop any car or motorcycle driving past them. :)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I own a bar on Sukhumvit, Bangkok and tonight we'll stay open through the curfew to show the Champions League final.

Talking to allot of the other bar owners around me that seems to be the way of thinking for tonight - nobody expects that the police will give any trouble if they wander home home after the football finishes (approx 4am).

Getting taxi's however will probably still be a pain in the arse!!

Tom.

Unless this is a private gathering behind closed doors, than you are another Farang flouting the laws of Thailand and you are taking advantage and cashing in on this situation where the law abiding establishments will be closed bringing more business your way.

Like my old granddad use to say; oh what a lovely war.

It`s people like you that do irreplicable damage to Thai towards Farang tolerance levels here.

Whatever which way you try to justify your actions, the fact is you are breaking the law, pal.

Edited by BigWheelMan

I own a bar on Sukhumvit, Bangkok and tonight we'll stay open through the curfew to show the Champions League final.

Talking to allot of the other bar owners around me that seems to be the way of thinking for tonight - nobody expects that the police will give any trouble if they wander home home after the football finishes (approx 4am).

Getting taxi's however will probably still be a pain in the arse!!

Tom.

Unless this is a private gathering behind closed doors, than you are another Farang flouting the laws of Thailand and you are taking advantage and cashing in on this situation where the law abiding establishments will be closed bringing more business your way.

Like my old granddad use to say; oh what a lovely war.

It`s people like you that do irreplicable damage to Thai towards Farang tolerance levels here.

Whatever which way you try to justify your actions, the fact is you are breaking the law, pal.

It's not quite the same sort of curfew that you probably experienced. No need to black out the windows and turn out the lights.

Farang-owned bars that were open after the curfew were probably in the minority. As other posters have said, the police or army manning road blocks are ignoring most drivers. I imagine they're only interested in gangs and people that look like trouble-makers. They wouldn't be interested in football fans, other than to maybe ask them what the score was (they like a flutter too).

Edited by twofortheroad