The Sad And Very Human Side To This Tragedy

Khutan

The quote below really makes me sad. These poor people whose only ambition is to care for their family are now destitute, simply for being employed in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Personally, I would like to help. I do not know how or what to do, that is constructive to assist. If someone can show me how I can directly help some of these families who are in genuine need, then I am happy to go to the bank when they open on Monday and take out 10,000 Baht and help these people. I am sure there are many others who could stay at home for a few nights and keep 10,000 in their pocket also to help.

As an online community, and guests in Thailand, I feel that we all have a responsibility to help those who have been so affected by this. I ask all of you to think of others and the joy that a few thousand can bring to these poor destitute people.

If nothing else, think of what helping others will do for the reputation of foreigners here in Thailand.

ps. George - if you want to get a photo to prove I am honest --- you know me well enough.

BANGKOK RIOTS

Victims seek govt assistance

By Kornchanok Raksaseri,

Somroutai Sapsomboon

The Nation

Published on May 22, 2010

30129970-01.jpg

Many have lost their jobs and regular incomes

Affected people cry for the government's urgent help and plan to rally at Central World today.

Wandee Saetang, 52, yesterday stood at the Saladaeng Intersection at 2pm with the hope to meet reporters. She worked at the Central World canteen.

"I don't know what else I can do. Now I'm at the dead end. I don't understand why we never caused the government any trouble, but the gov�ernment never sees us. On the other hand, the protesters caused many problems but the government helped them with many things without any request," she said tearfully.

She said her employer told her that the shop has to be closed on critical days. But the government would help the daily workers upon registration. They registered with the government since April 1213 but they had not received any help.

"The officials from the Labour Ministry said they could not help us as we don't have any social security card. But I think that the more they must help us," she said, adding that she had yet to pay two months of house rent at the end of this month, otherwise, they will have to move out.

The rent of the house she's been living for 30 years is Bt3,000 a month. With the wage Bt350 a day, she has to be responsible for a 13yearold daughter and her 80yearold parents.

She went to Central World, where used to be her office, since 10am. She met some people who also used to work there.

This morning, (Saturday) they plan to bring more excolleagues and meet again at the intersection before marching to the burnt Central World.

Wandee's excolleague Phochana Kongkamnan, 33, said she and about a dozen of her friends came to the intersection almost every day as they had nowhere to go.

"It's too stressful to stay at home. I can't do anything there. I come out here I might be lucky enough to get a job," she said.

She took the government's free bus service to the area.

Phochana said during the period she is jobless since April 3, when the red shirt came to rally at Rajprasong Intersection, she had to borrow money from relatives and loan sharks to survive.

Being a daily worker with Bt250 wage, Phochana has no savings but must take care of her 7yearold daughter and a niece.

"Reality is sadder than in novels. (Sad but real) She said tearfully. "I hope somebody helps me before I lose my last breath."

"I haven't had a meal since the morning," she said and showed the only bottle of water that kept her stay. "I am a grownup, I can stand it. But children can't."

She called for urgent assistance as the landlord asked her to leave after failing to pay two months of the rent.

She suggested that, at least, the government to help talk to the landlords to allow them to stay further.

Boonnam Somsaksiri, a 47yearold vendor in Silom, is still luckier than Wandee and Phochana he has some savings. He wanted somebody to ensure that the government would not desert them and give urgent help.

"In the early period when the government took the post, it could give away Bt2,000. Now it should give some money urgently to help the troubled people survive," he said.

Tour guide Nitat Rachdee, 49, said he came to take photos at Saladaeng Intersection for his memory and his pleasure.

"Every corner of this area is where I made a living. Today is the first day in the past two months that I have a mall group of Spanish tourists," he said.

He usually earned more than Bt50,000 each month. But after the red shirt started rallying in March 12, his income dropped until he barely earned.

"As a tour guide, I want to ask the government to fix the country's image so that tourism industry can come back as soon as possible," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-05-22

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

I feel so sad reading this. I understand what it's like to be unemployed and stressed because I am in a similar situation. It's hard to sleep at night worrying about paying bills and feeding the family. I really feel for them and hope they receive the help they deserve.

I think someone needs to wack that landlord over the head with a dead chicken. Must be Chinese for sure.

I'm sure that the poor farmers and people from Esarn (that so many have been quick to condem lately) will send some rice etc to help as they have HUGE hearts. I also hope that the government steps up to the plate TODAY to help as it is true what the arcticle said "they were quick to help the demonstrators out with food and medical and buses etc).

The OP seems to have a heart of gold and god bless him for his concerns and help. I whish I could do the same.

Lets see now if these "ILITE" help any of these poor hard working people that have lost their jobs. The problem is I will bet that this girls landlord is one of the Elite.

This is a very fine sentiment, and I applaud you. However, your B10000 will end it's weary tea-leafed road as B1000 via any "organized" official collection. Better to help maybe one or two families you know personally, or via a close, honest Thai friend.

Thairet

This is a very fine sentiment, and I applaud you. However, your B10000 will end it's weary tea-leafed road as B1000 via any "organized" official collection. Better to help maybe one or two families you know personally, or via a close, honest Thai friend.

Thairet

I agree. If you give 10,000 to an organisation it dwindles down along the way. I'm sure some people made a lot of money from the tsunami.

You're better off helping someone personally.

I think the government should look after it's own people. They have plenty of money that's for sure!

Why dont they have a social security card, were they employed illegally ??

Government employees are the ones with social security.

Shouldn't hit a person already being on the ground.

Employees of private companies have social security too, even a Farang.

wrong, social security card is for everyone working legally and paying the 750 baht per month to the social security fund(half paid by the employer and half by the employee)

Very sad for all Thais in this situation, hopefuly the Government in their Road Map will work on

establishing some sort of Welfare support, but that doesnt help for the immediate..

I was part of a nursing team that volunteered my nursing services after the tragic Bali Bombings. Widows & Families were left struggling due to the drop in Tourism, the Balinese heavily rely on Tourism $$ to survive, especialy in the built up regional centres, those in Rural Villages rely on the relatives in town to send money back home to support families etc..

We offer a Hand Up Not A Hand Out, a small group of friends & other orgnisations started to develop strategies for long term self suffiencey instead of relying heavily on tourist dollars to fix long term problems..

We did this by a few different ways (just a drop in the ocean but it's a start) and I offer these ideas as perhaps a spring board for others to take up the challenge.. I love Thailand & The Thai's and would like to help, I think most people think, the problem is too big, where do we start... At the begininng will small steps -

1. Gather and publisize to as many Charity organisations as possible, about the current plight for a lot of Thai's who are in need due to the current Political Climate - these can be Local Schools, Hobby & Sporting Groups in your country, local or Global charities..

2. Somebody who can organise and take details, info, census of people effected, these can be deligated to districts within Bagkok, and then spread out to provinces (takes time, but gives an accurate view of problems faced and the immediate one's that need to be prioritised etc)

3. A representative that can Approach Local Government, Chairites in Bangkok with a detailed list of emergancy help required..

4. Long term help -

I helped a group of widows with a hand up of sewing machines, bolts of material, overlockers and 12mths rent on a shop, immediate & extended families were then able to start making clothing, friends who painted started to paint pictures, jewelry makers made jewelry and massage therapists used the facilited for massages & beauty treatments.. This means when tourist go home they still have items they can sell to other locals or other tourist that arrive.. I also import their clothing, artwork & jewelry, and know that the profits of these sales go back to that small group of people..

5. I organised information sessions at local Groups, Womens Groups, Schools, starting with just educating my friends back home etc

6. I organised friends who would be willing to pay for school fees for the children, so that the parents could concentrate on making money for the food rent etc..

I know I will be trying to organise a Garage Sale here in Oz, so that I can raise money, it may only be small, but if everyone did just something small it would soon add up to a large Greatness...

Just my thoughts.. What do you think??

For those of you that live in Thailand and care about the place, here are some things to consider doing to help reduce the negative impact of the recent events on the economy and tourism:

- Buy local products more. That is, forego the imported cheese, wine and corn flakes for a few weeks and buy local Thai products. (In fact, you may find out that they actually taste better than imports.)

- If you live or are visiting Bangkok, buy from small shops and service providers in the worst-affected areas. Help those vendors that sell local products to get back on their feet by purchasing a bit extra from them. If you buy more commodities than you need, then donate your surplus to a group that is helping the victims of the arson and other destruction.

- Take more vacation-like trips on the weekend. Go to the (once) popular foreign tourist destinations and pretend to be an international tourist. Yes -- this will cost you more than sitting at home, but you are reading this thread aren't you?

And, if you are reading this from outside of Thailand -- then consider making an unplanned trip here. I think you'll find that the hotels, restaurants, spas and resorts will treat you like royalty.

The same thing happend after the Tsunami hit. Thru contacts in the states and here i was able to raise some money and then gave help DIRECTLY to those that i know lost homes/family members or employment here in Phuket.

That is the best way;

DO NOT give ur hard earned $$ to an agency which will siphon off 50% or more for administrative costs

They, (the Reds), have so hurt the people they were supposed to be protesting for. The 'elite' will always prosper and their businesses can be built again very quickly as they have the money to do so. It is the poor that will suffer the most, but in their bloody minded battle the Reds did not consider this. Now burning down town halls and disrupting business in the Northern provinces only affects the poor working people who need their wage to just get by. Once again, shows the Thais lack of common sense and mob mentality.

Agree, I think the govt will help and also agree that they should use Thaksins seized money to help the situation. He and his followers who have participated in this destruction, (not the peaceful protestors), should hang their heads in shame but they wont, they are proud of their clandestine activities....

wrong, social security card is for everyone working legally and paying the 750 baht per month to the social security fund(half paid by the employer and half by the employee)

I am sure that many employers find a way round the social security - probably employing casually on a daily basis - if you are desperate for work and the employer wants you to work illegally what can they do. This isnt the UK where if you report it the employer will be taken to task - an employer will simply buy their way out of trouble and fire the unfortunate worker. Its hard to stand up for your rights when you have a hungry child at home. I dont know the numbers but i would suspect a great many thai workers are outside of any safety net. Its probably only farang businesses and western international companies that are made to follow the rules (sometimes, unless they are rich enough)

The government is responsible because it failed to come down hard on the guilty ones early on - and look at the result. Loss of life was inevitable once protesters armed themselve, even with sticks and burning tyres, never mind the actual weapons. Take up arms, become violent and you risk death - its that simple. Peaceful protest is fine as long as it doesn not disrupt peoples livelehoods and is not prolonged.

I cant beleive that all these soft targets were not surrounded by troops from day one!

The people they were trying to hurt will be nothing more than scratched with insurance and funds to fall back on - large investors wont be so keen to build in Thailand - the only people hurt by these protests are the very ones that they claimed to be supporting - let the non-violent redshirts come back and give their time free to rebuild the damage that their violent friends have inflicted on innocent people.