Question To Dog Lovers

I have recently rescued a puppy from a scrap yard, taken her for a check up at the vet and for vaccinations next week (if tests results all come back with positive news)

I have a house with a large garden for the dog to relax in but it is inevitable that the dog will have to be left on it's own occasionally throughout the day time. Whenever i have tried this however, she just yelps and cries for fear of abandonment i presume. I am worried this is going to cause a nuisance for my neighbours which i of course want to avoid.

Now at this scrap yard is also her brother, and having rescued one of the pups i feel obligated to try and help the last one - would having a brother and a sister (if i go through with this i will have them both de-sexed naturally) aid them and make them feel more relaxed? or would it be twice the trouble? any help appreciated.

Thank you

My opinion only, but absolutely yes it would be better to have a companion for your one already rescued pet, and would also benefit another dog in an unpleasant situation as well.

This forum is full of very experienced pet owners, so hopefully you will get replies from "more expert" pet owner than I am, but I seriously think your dog is simply lonely when you leave. Good Luck !!

mario299 :)

u already did a wise job and it would be really great if you keep the 2nd one as well so that they can play together, coz they r brother n sister and close to each other ,also it will make the thing more easy for u,may be she will stop crying coz now she has got her brother as well.

My opinion only, but absolutely yes it would be better to have a companion for your one already rescued pet, and would also benefit another dog in an unpleasant situation as well.

This forum is full of very experienced pet owners, so hopefully you will get replies from "more expert" pet owner than I am, but I seriously think your dog is simply lonely when you leave. Good Luck !!

mario299 :)

Any dog likes company, yours or another of its own kind. Half the trouble, not twice!

Hi,

I've had some experience of this. We have raised 2 soi dogs from puppies over the last 2 years and they both have very distinct personalities. They do of course play a lot together and I think that it was a good idea to have the two of them to keep each other company. However, just because there are 2 of them, does not mean that the problem is going to be any easier. In my case, the male is quite docile and is happy to spend the days basking in the sun, but his sister craves constant attention and she wails constantly when we are not home. Fortunately, our neighbours also work so it is not a big problem in that regard. I would say that things have got better over time though and I think she may slowly be getting used to the idea of being alone sometimes. So in your case, bringing the couple together may help with the loneliness problem, but probably is not going to solve it.

Cheers

It's like having twins!

One moment they play and are happy, the next they fight over a toy, and at night time they will keep each other company.

You saved their life already (or soon hopefully), think that at any given time they won't hesitate one iota to give it back just to save yours.

They're more than four-leg hairy barking things, they came across your life path with a reason.

its half the trouble, i learnt that years ago in the UK, they occupy themselves. they should settle down in a week or so, i rescued 2 dogs a few months ago, one always got out the garden for the first few days, then he realised we always came back he selltled down, although he loves the trips out in the car. both pit bulls abandoned, would love to get them rehomed as i have to return to th UK in September.

Thank you for all the help everyone.

I will go and attempt to rescue her brother tomorrow too, i felt a little heartless as i was only taking her in the first place.

You're a good person. Jai dee.

Let us know what happens.

double the trouble double the vet bills but double the fun (i have three)...

just get them both on scheduled feeding (three/two times day if they are young; also, yard dogs do better if they get two meals , morning and evening or self feeding, especially if they are not in door dogs. might be better two times a day once they are grown as to not attract other animals to their food.

put down food for two in separate or large same bowl, make sure to see that both are eating. they might eat one at a time, the dominant one first, so make sure he/she allows the sibling to eat after and doesnt guard the bowl.

make sure u have a larger container for clean water.

when u do flea/tick treatments and worming, do on same day.

teach each dog separately basic commands although they will probably learn to gether. my three each answer separatelywhen needed : bunjee, sit. foofoo bed. lilee out. that sort of thing.

make sure to socialize them separately (play, groom, pet) and together since they are yard dogs (junk yard dogs) they may need a bit more handling, stroking tummies, touching face/ears, paws, and getting used to leash for needed walks to vet etc....

bina

israel

We have been adopted by some Soi dogs over the past year we and now have three.

It is great to see that you are already thinking of neutering your pups; this is perhaps the single most important thing you can do for them.

As for bored and barking puppies..my suggestion would also to make sure they have toys to occupy some of those waking hours.

You don't need to spend a fortune on "designer dog" nonsense; get an old piece of sturdy rope and tie some knots in it, an old (well rinsed) fabric softener bottle full of rice grains also works or you could tie some bits of old cloth together as a raggedy-rip toy and so on.

To make life really interesting you can bake a potato to within an inch of it's life and let them have fun with that.

But whatever you do, don't give them old shoes.... this will come back to haunt you one dark evening when you go to look for your best sandals and find the left one munched and half-buried in a plant pot. (Here speaks the voice of experience).

Enjoy your dogs, they are lucky to have you in their little lives.