Thailand's Greatest Challenge

losworld

I recently spoke with a friend who told me that he was expecting a visitor this week from the U.S. The man had been to Thailand a number of times including being stranded nine days due to the Yellow Shirt protest at the Airport. However, this was not deterring him from returning again. He was a single man and not the type who is easily frightened by travel to even remote areas. Surprisingly he canceled his trip at the last moment and has made no plans to return.

My friend was rather shocked. I thought about it for awhile and have concluded it may not be so much the perceived danger, whether real or not and perhaps somewhat exaggerated by the western media, but rather the fact that the trust with the Thai people has been broken. Perhaps he sees something behind the smile that saddens or disturbs him.

One of Thailands greatest tourism attractions has always been its people. They are responsible for Thailand being referred to as the "Land of Smiles". Now they may be proving to be its greatest weakness. People are questioning if the unbridled acts of violence are revealing a darker side to the Thai people then they ever imagined possible.

Some would argue that the actions of the protesters is the result of a radical element and not representative of large numbers of Thais. However, the heroes welcome afforded many protesters returning from Bangkok and an almost self righteous, unapologetic attitude seems to indicate otherwise. Until Thais realize the end does not always justify the means there can be no true reconciliation. And with further infighting and violence the lure of Thailand as a tropical paradise with caring people is quickly evaporating.

For many the admiration of the Thais and their seemingly peaceful way of life has been shattered. There is little doubt the insular world of many tourists has shielded them from examining and understanding much needed social and economic reform in Thailand. However, many were completely unprepared for the actions and events that occurred. Now the Thai people must share responsibility and move forward with a commitment to each other.

Edited by losworld

In the past 2 months the Thai people have shown their real face to the outside world.A face which was always known to people living here for an extended period of time but not to outsiders.

I hope they learn from it and get things back on it's feet but the knowledge I have from living here for 15 years tells me that they never will.

I think you're right. People returning to Thailand do so because they got to like the Thai people and their sense of fun. I can well imagine that some people's perception of the Thais has been shattered. In a way, coming to Thailand right now might seem like going to visit a friend after a funeral. Not much fun.

A bit like saying all Irish are terrorists, the Brits are all right wing BNP, the French are all linked to Action Direct, the Palestinians are either Hamas or they are Islamic Jihad, you aare either a Red, Yellow or Rainbow.

A colourful picture, but totally irrational, to take a straw poll and then extrapolate across the whole country, hmmmm

A bit like saying all Irish are terrorists, the Brits are all right wing BNP, the French are all linked to Action Direct, the Palestinians are either Hamas or they are Islamic Jihad, you aare either a Red, Yellow or Rainbow.

A colourful picture, but totally irrational, to take a straw poll and then extrapolate across the whole country, hmmmm

Perhaps I can elaborate. I am talking here of people's perceptions and not the general state of the Thais. However, I am saying that the silence is deafening from the northeast regarding the actions of the protesters. And if Thailand chooses to settle political disputes with violence then this image will be magnified.

Edited by losworld

Perhaps I can elaborate. I am talking here of people's perceptions and not the general state of the Thais. However, I am saying that the silence is deafening from the northeast regarding the actions of the protesters. And if Thailand chooses to settle political disputes with violence then this image will be magnified.

Why should the 'northeast' have any opinion regarding the actions of the protesters in Bangkok? Is the 'northeast' somehow responsible for the actions of individuals? Are people in Thailand not allowed to have individual opinions regardless of where they live?

I think you're right. People returning to Thailand do so because they got to like the Thai people and their sense of fun. I can well imagine that some people's perception of the Thais has been shattered. In a way, coming to Thailand right now might seem like going to visit a friend after a funeral. Not much fun.

My perception of them -- as a society -- has been shattered, although I fully realize there are millions of wonderful Thai people.

I began coming here in 1987 and came here about 18 times before moving here a year ago...actually a year ago today. Usually my plane would arrive at night and I remember how my mind would relax as we began descending and starting seeing the lights of villages...and I would think that soon I'll be visiting little villages like that and there will be some wonderful Thai people there.

In the past year of living here, what I have learned about living here is that you have to accept many inconveniences in everyday life, but there were always many plusses to balance those off. I felt extremely safe walking almost anywhere in Bangkok, even with an expensive camera. I felt safe driving (sometimes alone) out into the provinces, my biggest fear only being that I might get really lost...although I'm very good at directions and maps and hunches about which way to go.

Beginning a few days before the crackdown, but knowing it had to come, for me that feeling of safety totally evaporated. And then during the crackdown, significant smoke was coming down our soi, the power failed for a while, I wondered if we would have enough food and water (although I had stocked up; but without electricity it's hard to keep food that is apt to spoil). I feel much more isolated now. The other night thought I had appendicitis...couldn't figure out how to get to the hospital during curfew (fortunately, it was just a muscle spasm). I went to the Emorium yesterday, and my feeling was get in, buy the food, get out. Some nut might decided to do to that mall what they did to Central World and Big C. I don't feel safe here in Bangkok. I would not feel safe in Ubon or Chiang Mai or Mukdahan or...who knows.

What I'm saying is that for me -- and I realize others feel differently -- that sense that there were so many plusses to living here that they balanced out the inconveniences...well, to me the balance is completely gone.

I don't have to be here. I am 60 year old retiree who can feel safe in Colorado...understanding, of course, that bad things can happen anywhere. But right now, the odds are not good for Bangkok/Thailand, and although I hope the LOS becomes the LOS again, I think it's just as likely that the country may be in for a long cycle of unrest and may become the LONMS -- land of not many smiles. I feel sad for my Thai friends. I can just leave and get on with my life. They cannot. They have no choices.

I've said similar things in a couple of other threads, and it's been sad to see the number of "don't let the door hit you in the ass" responses. An old man feels unsafe and decides to leave. Why does that make some other westerner angry?

Doesn't make people angry, it makes them happy. :)

I personaly don't think any watershed event has taken place. People who have been here a while were probably less surprised. If it accellerated the shedding of pink spectacles for others then that may be a good thing.

I do realize however that the situation was quite scary within a couple blocks in Bangkok, and indeed if you got caught up in that then clearly that's not what you expect out of retired life.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

The results of the Rodney King riots in Los Angeles 1991, I believe, were remarkable similar to the recent riots in Bangkok. In LA, 53 killed, thousands injured, and $1 billion property damage. No doubt many expats left Los Angeles and many tourists did not come back to Los Angeles for a relatively short period of time. Buildings were rebuilt, resentments softened, and life goes on. I don't expect much different for Bangkok. Already the news cycle has moved on to other events in India and around the world.

Further comments on what I said below:

I personaly don't think any watershed event has taken place. People who have been here a while were probably less surprised. If it accellerated the shedding of pink spectacles for others then that may be a good thing.

For me (personally) the watershed event was the 2006 coup, and perhaps not that event itself but the realization of just how far Thailand is from a democracy, when governments can be thrown out arbitrarily. Since then I knew that something like what happened recently was on the cards, just listening to people's opinions, and the extent of their resentment and disenfranchisement. I personally wish Mr. Abhisit very good luck in trying to bridge divides, if in fact he (or more importantly, his party and his backers) are genuine in that.

I am saying that the silence is deafening from the northeast regarding the actions of the protesters.

In all seriousness, how did you expect any non-silence to be communicated to you? From the pages of the English press perhaps? Then you will be waiting a long time, unless you're willing to read between the lines. Such as the ABAC poll that reported that 99% of respondents were saddened by recent events. (Go look up the article for exact wording and percentages). That's about as much confirmation as you will ever going to get.

( Unless of course you'd (gasp) would actually talk to people in/from those regions; clearly that's too much to expect and I apologize for even mentioning it. :) )

I am saying that the silence is deafening from the northeast regarding the actions of the protesters.

In all seriousness, how did you expect any non-silence to be communicated to you? From the pages of the English press perhaps? Then you will be waiting a long time, unless you're willing to read between the lines. Such as the ABAC poll that reported that 99% of respondents were saddened by recent events. (Go look up the article for exact wording and percentages). That's about as much confirmation as you will ever going to get.

( Unless of course you'd (gasp) would actually talk to people in/from those regions; clearly that's too much to expect and I apologize for even mentioning it. :) )

Actually I have and a couple responses were "but the soldiers shot first". I believe most are saddened but is anyone accepting responsibility and this should go both ways.

In the past 2 months the Thai people have shown their real face to the outside world.A face which was always known to people living here for an extended period of time but not to outsiders.

I hope they learn from it and get things back on it's feet but the knowledge I have from living here for 15 years tells me that they never will.

I have to agree with basjke - when you have lived here or been involved with Thai people for an extended period of time, you know the true nature of the people. Whilst it can be viewed as narrow-minded or even bigoted to generalise about any one race, experience has taught me that there is often an intention, or a motive behind the 'smile'.

Those who share the romantic notion of living here without previously experiencing LOS for extended periods of time, should think twice about the real reasons they want to live here.

It is what it is and we should make the most of the positive aspects to life here. If you can't look at life here with a sense of humour then I think it will always be a challenge.