Vengeful Redshirts Threaten Thai Tourism

webfact

Vengeful redshirts threaten tourism

The Thai protest has spawned an underground militant wing

gallery_327_1086_10047.jpg

“Redshirt” protesters vanished into a warren of backstreets as their camp was overrun by the army

last week on a day that many Thais have called the worst in their country’s modern history.

BANGKOK: -- THE spectre of a violent underground movement that could wreck Thailand’s tourism industry has risen from the ashes of Bangkok’s city centre.

An armed wing of the movement vowed to carry on the fight and melted back into communities of workers and farmers, some of whom have openly applauded them for taking up the gun.

Black-clad figures whose bodies were patterned with mystical tattoos, they sported magic golden amulets to ward off bullets — but also wore flak jackets as extra insurance.

“Nobody is in control of our so-called armed wing,” said Sean Boonprasong, a redshirt spokesman, shortly before he was detained. “Now many will go underground. Now they have no leaders. Whoever they are, we admire them.”

A survey of violent incidents, most of them unreported abroad, shows that trouble has already occurred in Thailand’s tourist centres of Phuket, Pattaya and Chiang Mai during the last weeks of crisis.

More than 800,000 Britons visited Thailand last year, but thousands of bookings have been cancelled and some hotels in Bangkok are empty after Wednesday’s army crackdown.

Threats, muggings, robberies and random shootings all over the centre of town that day showed that criminals had woven their way among the peaceful crowds of red-clad men, women and children camped out in what they called a bid for “democracy”.

The militants were acclaimed as heroes in the slums of Klong Toey, a crime-ridden district that saw some of the heaviest fighting but attracted the least media attention. Huge, reeking pyres and echoing gunshots traced a path of anarchy from the slum to the fringes of Sukhumvit, an area full of expatriate families, foreign businesses and international schools.

It was from Klong Toey that black-clad men on motorbikes sped out to set fire to the gleaming stock exchange building, which looks down on it from the other side of a road junction. Later there were numerous accounts from frightened residents of vengeful redshirts huddled in councils of war in drinking dens and tenements.

“They say we should do what the Muslims do in the south,” reported several locals, referring to a shadowy insurgency that has cost more than 3,000 lives in Thailand’s southernmost provinces since 2004. It is a murderous campaign without known leaders, which the army has been unable to stop.

Story continues: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/worl...icle7133938.ece

-- Timesonline.co.uk

2010-05-23

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets wait to see how many interrogations lead to subsequent arrests, perhaps the militant wing is already back in Cambodia, where Thai people go to hide.

The Black clad shooters are from Cambodia , there is now evidence to be released this week on who and why they were contracted for the job, The pay check Master Thaksin made his $$$$$$$$$$$ deposit some months before this in the case he needed them to cross over into Thailand if he lost his money in the court ruling , Since 911 the world has a special practice of wire tap /cell phone word searching for key words, Thaksin made this list some 3 months ago and all of his evidence now will list him as the money leader behind the terrorism attacks now in Thailand .

he likes to say he has no connection but his mighty dollars linked the WAY

Lets wait to see how many interrogations lead to subsequent arrests, perhaps the militant wing is already back in Cambodia, where Thai people go to hide.

The Black clad shooters are from Cambodia , there is now evidence to be released this week on who and why they were contracted for the job, The pay check Master Thaksin made his $$$$$$ deposit some months before this in the case he needed them to cross over into Thailand if he lost his money in the court ruling , Since 911 the world has a special practice of wire tap /cell phone word searching for key words, Thaksin made this list some 3 months ago and all of his evidence now will list him as the money leader behind the terrorism attacks now in Thailand .

Could you a link a source to this information? First time I've heard this and I'd be interested to read more about it.

where was the trouble in Pattaya, i never saw or heard of any trouble, just a few protesters outside city hall

There were reports of redshirts around Chonburi on Wednesday night. Pattaya is Chonburi province, and the curfews are issued by province.

Well I guess the army and police were unable to contain the "red shits." I suppose they did not get proper ID from the ones who they "let go." ?????

WOW. And the whole world is watching. LOL - oh my "face"

The Black clad shooters are from Cambodia , there is now evidence to be released this week on who and why they were contracted for the job, The pay check Master Thaksin made his $$$ deposit some months before this in the case he needed them to cross over into Thailand if he lost his money in the court ruling , Since 911 the world has a special practice of wire tap /cell phone word searching for key words, Thaksin made this list some 3 months ago and all of his evidence now will list him as the money leader behind the terrorism attacks now in Thailand .

Could you a link a source to this information? First time I've heard this and I'd be interested to read more about it.

I love to hear bad stuff about Thaksin, but I would also like to see some corroboration.

Peaceful redshirt protestors admiring violent, gun-toting arsonsist, who would have thought it?

The most stupid thing is who do they think a wrecked tourist industry will hurt? Rich people with piles of cash in the bank or the poor who depend on tourism for their income?

The Black clad shooters are from Cambodia , there is now evidence to be released this week on who and why they were contracted for the job, The pay check Master Thaksin made his $$$ deposit some months before this in the case he needed them to cross over into Thailand if he lost his money in the court ruling , Since 911 the world has a special practice of wire tap /cell phone word searching for key words, Thaksin made this list some 3 months ago and all of his evidence now will list him as the money leader behind the terrorism attacks now in Thailand .

I've seen this too, it's been all over Thai broadcast news. Mercenaries from Burma and Cambodia, the money trail, etc.

The Black clad shooters are from Cambodia , there is now evidence to be released this week on who and why they were contracted for the job, The pay check Master Thaksin made his $$$$$$ deposit some months before this in the case he needed them to cross over into Thailand if he lost his money in the court ruling , Since 911 the world has a special practice of wire tap /cell phone word searching for key words, Thaksin made this list some 3 months ago and all of his evidence now will list him as the money leader behind the terrorism attacks now in Thailand .

I understand it's the rumour-mill in action. Blaming problems on people over the border is a standard part of the Thai psyche, but don't forget there have been visits to Cambodia from both Thaksin and Seh Daeng.

The actions of the past week to me have proven once and for all that where there's speculation surrounding Thaksin intent (Suvarnabhumi city, land to Cambodia, Bangkok city "of flames" - wish I could find the original BKK Post article for that one - to name a very small number), the truth is never really far away. Hun Sen making peace with Abhisit could of simply been part of the script.

That plot related to the country of Finland, now I don't deny it for a second.

Edited by Insight

i know too much from my Thai wife who works in that area in Bangkok, Big things are coming for Thaksin " Dr Evil " , watch his private plane get impounded next

The Black clad shooters are from Cambodia , there is now evidence to be released this week on who and why they were contracted for the job, The pay check Master Thaksin made his $$ deposit some months before this in the case he needed them to cross over into Thailand if he lost his money in the court ruling , Since 911 the world has a special practice of wire tap /cell phone word searching for key words, Thaksin made this list some 3 months ago and all of his evidence now will list him as the money leader behind the terrorism attacks now in Thailand .

I've seen this too, it's been all over Thai broadcast news. Mercenaries from Burma and Cambodia, the money trail, etc.

Yes but all the evidence so far has been individual eyewitnesses and rumors. That does not hold enough credibility for me. A real investigation, report or some evidence would give this rumor some legitimacy. I'm not saying that it's improbable, just that I can't believe everything negative being said about the UDD.

I understand it's the rumour-mill in action. Blaming problems on people over the border is a standard part of the Thai psyche, but don't forget there have been visits to Cambodia from both Thaksin and Seh Daeng.

The actions of the past week to me have proven once and for all that where there's speculation surrounding Thaksin intent (Suvarnabhumi city, land to Cambodia, Bangkok city "of flames" - wish I could find the original BKK Post article for that one - to name a very small number), the truth is never really far away. Hun Sen making peace with Abhisit could of simply been part of the script.

That plot related to the country of Finland, now I don't deny it for a second.

You are real Warm , Cambodia is the Key to his master plan, all the training was done there and bomb making so called experts, Crude but semi effective, There is evidence the assault team assembled in Pattaya for the past 3-4 months and no one ever noticed .

Lets hope that alot of this is just typical media sensationalism.

But it does seem to me that both sides of the equation, Red and Yellow, Pro and Anti Taksin, have this 'burning' desire to saboutage Thailand's Tourist industry.

No doubt there are many theories as to why.

But it does seem to me that both sides of the equation, Red and Yellow, Pro and Anti Taksin, have this 'burning' desire to saboutage Thailand's Tourist industry.

the real reason is they do not want us here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the real reason is they do not want us here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have a choice you know!

I love to hear bad stuff about Thaksin, but I would also like to see some corroboration.

Searching 'Echelon' will give you some info, but highly doubt you'll get any secret reports.

Sure would be nice if it could be blamed on Cambodia, a much easier pill to swallow than Thai on Thai.

Having a outside enemy so clearly defined would facilitate the government and the population of Thailand to focus on a common need together.

Careful though, that can lead to trouble. GW Bush did it with Iraq. He tried to take the focus off of a much more slippery and vague terror network and cast it to Baghdad. Problem was, Iraq had nothing to do with terrorism at that time. GW did not do America any favor by this, but he kept his job for another 4 years.

My gut tells me that the Cambodian link is not substantial, let's see.

i know too much from my Thai wife who works in that area in Bangkok, Big things are coming for Thaksin " Dr Evil " , watch his private plane get impounded next

If you know too much. That's one Dr Evil, we all know that. Tell us the other ones. It takes 2 to tango. But at a guess there is more than 2 players in all of this.

where was the trouble in Pattaya, i never saw or heard of any trouble, just a few protesters outside city hall

There were reports of redshirts around Chonburi on Wednesday night. Pattaya is Chonburi province, and the curfews are issued by province.

"A survey of violent incidents, most of them unreported abroad, shows that trouble has already occurred in Thailand’s tourist centres of Phuket, Pattaya and Chiang Mai during the last weeks of crisis."

There has been so far and long may it continue NO trouble in Pattaya.

Nothing to do with curfews issued by province.

Just poor reporting!

Yes but all the evidence so far has been individual eyewitnesses and rumors. That does not hold enough credibility for me. A real investigation, report or some evidence would give this rumor some legitimacy. I'm not saying that it's improbable, just that I can't believe everything negative being said about the UDD.

I heard this morning from a military source (still subject to rumors, of course) that they have captured a significant Cambodian national along with arms. Has this been reproted elsewhere? Other than rumor?

Reu mak mai dee! Reu mot dee mak.

Hun Sen will be happy to receive the tourists being justifiably frightened away from Thailand.

Hun Sen has been silent for some time now, no doubt because of pressure by Asean to stay out of Thai domestic politics or at the least to be nothing more than a quiet nuisance. Hun Sen's offer of a villa to Thaksin has long since faded into never happened land. Abhisit long ago stopped publicly banging Hun Sen to exploit Thai nationalism so I suspect Hun Sen will continue to keep a low public profile vis a vis Thaksin and Thailand. The Vietnam government pointed out the other day the chaos in Thailand is causing regional instability in several ways.

However, to think Hun Sen doesn't know or care there are armed insurgents active in Thailand from bases in Cambodia would be a bit of a stretch. Sen would harm his own tourism industry if he were to admit to such a reality, more so if he were to turn around and go after the insurgents. I doubt there are many Thai brass in line to become a new Seh Daeng either.

I was under the impression that a few of them dressed in black had been detained but I suspect these were only kids trying to emulate the real terrorists who got a way, if any of them were Cambodian they would have been paraded before the press by now.

The was announcements by the Red shirts a long time ago that they had a terrorist training camp and that sure seems to be true, whether it is in Cambodia or not is guesswork but I suspect Thaksin's visit there was to grease a few palms.