Mifi From Cat Cdma

nikster

Pogue sold me on another one... this is 8900 baht at CAT. Since my old modem, um, melted, I had to get a new one + this works for the iPad and laptop so it's very nice.

Features:

- WiFi hotspot for up to 5 devices

- No setup. WiFi password printed at the back of the device.

- Modem mode to use as normal CDMA Rev. A modem

- Battery for mobile use up to 4 hours (not tested so far)

- Charger and USB cable

- Charges via USB or charger

- Very small and light - it's maybe the size of 2 normal USB modems. It's tiny.

- If you do want to change the settings, it has a pretty good web interface, control it via any browser.

Review:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/07/technolo...amp;_r=4&em

Have been using it for a day, and it's much more convenient than the USB stick. I can just turn this on and forget about it, no plugging in or unplugging of USB devices, no connecting when the laptop wakes from sleep.

My opinion: This shines not because it's a very good idea, but because it's executed to perfection. This thing is very well thought out and very well engineered.

Its very disappointing that the the Mifi unit does not have an external antenna connection that so many people who live in low signal strength areas here in Thailand need , other than that its getting some good reviews

TL

Its very disappointing that the the Mifi unit does not have an external antenna connection that so many people who live in low signal strength areas here in Thailand need , other than that its getting some good reviews

I've had my eye on that unit also for a few weeks as it is a nice all in one unit. The external antenna (lack of) has been my only issue. There is a cradle booster that you can buy which can support an external antenna but it is expensive, nearly the price of the modem. :)

How does the GPS work on it? Come with maps?

I've had my eye on that unit also for a few weeks as it is a nice all in one unit. The external antenna (lack of) has been my only issue. There is a cradle booster that you can buy which can support an external antenna but it is expensive, nearly the price of the modem. :)

How does the GPS work on it? Come with maps?

It amazes me why an external antenna connection is left out , when products like this that are sold all over the world, where there must me vast areas where an external antenna connection is a must . could you please give a bit more info on the cradle booster that does have an external antenna connection ?

Thanks

It amazes me why an external antenna connection is left out , when products like this that are sold all over the world, where there must me vast areas where an external antenna connection is a must . could you please give a bit more info on the cradle booster that does have an external antenna connection ?

It's made by Wilson Electronics which seems to be into producing these enhancements. Here is a Thai site offering it > Thailand CDMA Shop Some more info here >EVDOinfo

//edit - Oops, the Thai price is quite expensive relative to the overseas $129.00 price. :)

It's made by Wilson Electronics which seems to be into producing these enhancements. Here is a Thai site offering it > Thailand CDMA Shop Some more info here >EVDOinfo

//edit - Oops, the Thai price is quite expensive relative to the overseas $129.00 price. :)

Thanks for the info, will have a look :D

TL

It's made to be very mobile, and very small. If you live out in the sticks, and need a huge antenna attached to your CAT CDMA, you can easily get a normal USB stick with antenna connection + a cradle point router with USB connection to provide a normal WiFi hotspot (and ethernet too) from the CDMA connection. These are sold all over Thailand too, easy to get, I saw a place selling them in Pantip in Chiang Mai.

For a non-mobile installation this will beat the MiFi as you get no 5 device limit, and ethernet too. So yes it's not as seamless and zero-setup like the MiFi but it's more flexible and adequate for a stationary install. You spend a bit more too clearly - but think about it the other way, you get really fast internet somewhere out in the middle of nowhere - how cool is that?

@ nickster, what does this mean

''it's made to be very mobile, and very small. If you live out in the sticks, and need a huge antenna attached to your CAT CDMA, you can easily get a normal USB stick with antenna connection + a cradle point router with USB connection to provide a normal WiFi hotspot (and ethernet too) from the CDMA connection''

sorry to be so thick, but i am thinking about getting cat cdma to use in krabi and any other travelling

''it's made to be very mobile, and very small. If you live out in the sticks, and need a huge antenna attached to your CAT CDMA, you can easily get a normal USB stick with antenna connection + a cradle point router with USB connection to provide a normal WiFi hotspot (and ethernet too) from the CDMA connection''

sorry to be so thick, but i am thinking about getting cat cdma to use in krabi and any other travelling

I must also be thick as I am unaware that I can use my Cat usb modem to provide wifi around my home!

Would love some learned bms to tell me how to do this if indeed it is possible.

been in krabi cat office today and the price of the mifi is down to 7900bahts

the mc760 is discontinued and replaced with the ec150 at 2900bahts [big drop in price]

DAMMIT!!

That had to happen right after I buy one right? 2900 baht is an amazing price for a CDMA modem. Not too long ago the cheapest one was 11,000!

I must also be thick as I am unaware that I can use my Cat usb modem to provide wifi around my home!

Would love some learned bms to tell me how to do this if indeed it is possible.

You have three options to make CAT CDMA into a WiFi connection in your home:

- The CAT CDMA mifi device does it at the push of a button. It's tiny and has a battery so you can set up a little WiFi network anywhere you go. Review here.

- Your computer. Macs can do it, and I think Windows 7 can do it too, it's called internet sharing. Select your CDMA modem as source, and share via WiFi. Windows XP cannot share a CDMA connection - I have tried. XP can only share Ethernet connections for some reason.

- A WiFi router that has a USB port where you stick your USB CDMA modem in. Cradlepoint makes such routers, but there are other models too, Google for it.

for MiFI2200 external antenna you can order from USA price around 1200 bath (not include shipping cost around 40 USD) - this will help you around 40-60% depend on your location

Windows XP <i>cannot</i> share a CDMA connection - I have tried. XP can only share Ethernet connections for some reason.

Not true.

I share an internet connection to my notebook from an MC760 connected to my desktop tower running XP and a Linksys wifi router.

Totster :)

Windows XP <i>cannot</i> share a CDMA connection - I have tried. XP can only share Ethernet connections for some reason.

Not true.

I share an internet connection to my notebook from an MC760 connected to my desktop tower running XP and a Linksys wifi router.

Totster :)

Maybe it depends on the model? I remember trying to share my CCU-650 from XP via WiFi. The problem was in the sharing panel, the only options for source internet were Ethernet and WiFi. CDMA wasn't in there. So I couldn't share it. Alternatively, maybe they added it in a recent Windows update. It's been 2 years or so since I tried.