Sunglasses

gazza1

I want to buy a pair of original sunglasses. Are the sunglasses sold in the many opticians in Bangkok original? If so how are they able to offer 30% discounts before i even ask?!

Shall i just play it safe and buy them from the actual Prada, Gucciy, Bulgari shops?

Thanks for any advice.

• Like 1

Lots of the optical shops in Thailand sell authentic branded sunglasses. One of the reasons they can discount is the fact that they tend to purchase discontinued models at discounted prices. Often, if you find the perfect sunglasses at a Thai optical shop and decide later that you want a second one, it can't be found. Searching the Internet will show that model for sale previously but each site will show "discontinued" or "not available".

There are some good deals on branded sunglasses at the more well-known Thai optical outlets. They also sell some junk. Stick with the brands that you know. Their RayBan selection is authentic.

Edited by kandahar

As an owner of authentic raybans i can tell you how i know mine are genuine but not sure if it applies to all raybans.

My lenses have BL engraved in the side.. the letters are at the side and about 3mm high.

Bausch + lomb are the lense manufacturer....not rayban...

Lots of the optical shops in Thailand sell authentic branded sunglasses. One of the reasons they can discount is the fact that they tend to purchase discontinued models at discounted prices. Often, if you find the perfect sunglasses at a Thai optical shop and decide later that you want a second one, it can't be found. Searching the Internet will show that model for sale previously but each site will show "discontinued" or "not available".

There are some good deals on branded sunglasses at the more well-known Thai optical outlets. They also sell some junk. Stick with the brands that you know. Their RayBan selection is authentic.

Thanks for your replies.

So what you are saying is at end of the day if i want new style then i have to go to the actual brand shop ie bulgari, oakley, cartier etc. If i want out of date ones then i can stick with the optical outlets BUT they do also sell junk??

Thanks

As an owner of authentic raybans i can tell you how i know mine are genuine but not sure if it applies to all raybans.

My lenses have BL engraved in the side.. the letters are at the side and about 3mm high.

Yup,and the "original" rayban pilot glasses that I buy on the market here for 200 Baht have all those marks engraved in the lenses.

Yup,and the "original" rayban pilot glasses that I buy on the market here for 200 Baht have all those marks engraved in the lenses.

yes hard to tell sometimes, reaction lenses are a good mark of authenticity

if the sunglasses are for your personal use and you use spectacles investigate the 'clip on' type...I suffered for years to find that the cheapest alternative is the best...usually available under the counter at most places for about the equivalent of USD20 for full UV protection...

fakes often have the lens engraved.

I believe original sunglasses to be vastly overpriced in Thailand. If you have the chance to buy them elsewhere then I'd recommend you do so. As an example, I've seen the same range of Ray bans that I paid 108 pounds for at Sunglasses Hut in UK for 10,000 baht in a chain opticians here. I know other people who have had a similar experience.

• 12 years later...
On 5/31/2010 at 2:34 AM, tutsiwarrior said:

if the sunglasses are for your personal use and you use spectacles investigate the 'clip on' type...I suffered for years to find that the cheapest alternative is the best...usually available under the counter at most places for about the equivalent of USD20 for full UV protection...

I wear glasses and I have found that clip ons are a waste of time.  I continually loose them.  Years ago I was fed up with them and I purchased transition glasses.  Never looked back.