Flights To Thailand?

okay so last year i got prices from Chicago to Bangkok for around 800 dollars

now i look at prices around 1300 dollars

here is my dilemma i will not go to Thailand if airfare is more than 1000 dollars

because i work at a minimum wage job busting my but and that is too much money for me to spend to get to a place

so do you think prices will get cheaper say in September or august

because then instead of going to backpack and live in south east Asia

i will have to go to south America with limited to no Spanish

i would prefer Asia

also if anyone has any other ideas of how a young guy can get over to Thailand it would be appreciated

maybe take a cheap bot who knows

so thanks

Here is my advice, if you are struggling to get an airfare together, I would stay at home or find somewhere you can afford

Thailand needs people with money to come at this time to revive its tourism. Sorry to say that I don’t think they will lose any sleep if you don’t come :)

Dont feel too bad OP, airfares for me from Atlanta to BKK have risen almost 80% in the past 6 months from around $800 - $1000 to now around $1600 - $1800. Crazy stuff! I have looked all the way until next year, and it does not look like prices are dropping.

My thoughts are that the Delta-Northwest merger was a nightmare for travelers, and they have raised prices as a result of their near stranglehold on the USA-Asian traveler. With these high prices, I really do have to think twice about going to Asia. When prices were less than $1000, it was alot to think about. But now with the prices getting extortionately high, I will only travel to asia 2 times a year and stay much longer than I used to.

Also, the airlines have raised the mileage prices for trips to asia. I used to be able to get a free ticket to BKK for 65,000 miles. Now they can only get me as far as Shanghai and that costs 120,000 miles. I hate Delta and Northwest, but a deal can still be had on Korean Air from time to time.

Sad days for the formerly fun trip to Thailand.

Dont feel too bad OP, airfares for me from Atlanta to BKK have risen almost 80% in the past 6 months from around $800 - $1000 to now around $1600 - $1800. Crazy stuff! I have looked all the way until next year, and it does not look like prices are dropping.

My thoughts are that the Delta-Northwest merger was a nightmare for travelers, and they have raised prices as a result of their near stranglehold on the USA-Asian traveler. With these high prices, I really do have to think twice about going to Asia. When prices were less than $1000, it was alot to think about. But now with the prices getting extortionately high, I will only travel to asia 2 times a year and stay much longer than I used to.

Also, the airlines have raised the mileage prices for trips to asia. I used to be able to get a free ticket to BKK for 65,000 miles. Now they can only get me as far as Shanghai and that costs 120,000 miles. I hate Delta and Northwest, but a deal can still be had on Korean Air from time to time.

The Delta-Northwest merger has not helped, but it would be insane to fly here on a USA carrier anyway. The treatment you receive on the Asian airlines is as black and white different from the USA carriers as comparing Thai women to American Women. The old flight hags and the US carrriers are exactly what you come here to get away from, and Northwest is about the worst of the worst. They are rude, threatening and arrogant, especially since they seem to prefer playing cop to providing customer service.

My suggestion is to find a flight on an Asian airline (Eva-JAL-China-ANA etc) from Los Angeles or San Francisco. Thai is good but they tend to be expensive You can fly from Chicago to California on Southwest or one of the low cost USA airlines. Not only is this cheaper, but you will have a much better flight.

Also, use Orbitz to see what is available, then go to each airlines website to see if you can get a better price by booking directly with the airline.

lol i am a poker player and i have worked for a while i have plenty of money to spend once i get to thailand

i just am old fashioned and i dont belive in spending over 1000 dollars on airfare to get somewhere

i doubt waiting til Sept will get you a fare for under $1000, but fares will go down for Nov. I don't know what you'll pay for Chicago-BKK, but you can fly JFK-BKK for about $1050 and LAX-BKK for $900 both on Cathay Pacific.

Take the bus to LA and fly from there.

Here is my advice, if you are struggling to get an airfare together, I would stay at home or find somewhere you can afford

Thailand needs people with money to come at this time to revive its tourism. Sorry to say that I don't think they will lose any sleep if you don't come :D

well bright spark thailand is losing BIG money if you hav'nt noticed what is going on doh doh doh :)

Low season is a lie. It's either busy on the airlines, or high season in Thailand once there.

I'm sure the gamers in Poi Phet will be glad to see you! ...j/k

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Leglize-Gamb....html&st=25

You can stay in Khao San Road area cheaply, don't let the upscale folks here dissuade you. Get the cost of immunizations figured and read the Lonely Planet guide book. Also consider Cambodia, Laod, or Viet Nam.

Women, illegal gambling, and business intrigues in Thailand will empty your bank. FWIW. Just be solid. And booze is expensive too. So LOS is half off if you don't drink or smoke.

lol i am a poker player and i have worked for a while i have plenty of money to spend once i get to thailand

i just am old fashioned and i dont belive in spending over 1000 dollars on airfare to get somewhere

i doubt waiting til Sept will get you a fare for under $1000, but fares will go down for Nov. I don't know what you'll pay for Chicago-BKK, but you can fly JFK-BKK for about $1050 and LAX-BKK for $900 both on Cathay Pacific.

I just checked CP for flights in July or Aug. $1677 is the cheapest I can find LAX-BKK. Can you recheck that please? Maybe I am doing something wrong!!!!!

I just checked CP for flights in July or Aug. $1677 is the cheapest I can find LAX-BKK. Can you recheck that please? Maybe I am doing something wrong!!!!!

Please read what I wrote again.

That sounds about right for summer. I just paid about $1450 for a Rt JFK-BKK for July to Sept on Cathay Pacific (CX). I also have a CX flight booked for Nov for $1086, a little over your budget. That flight is still available. It should be a little less from LAX. It's a long bus ride though to get to LA.

:D

You need to do a little more searching...it's still possible to get flights from Chicago to Bangkok in August 2010 for under $1100...but you need to sacrifice something to do it.

First of all. consider going through Europe...especially the U.K. You might be able to find a flight U.K. to Bangkok at a discount price. Of course you have to add in the Chicago to the U.K. (i.e. London) flight, but the discount on the U.K to Bangkok flight may make the whole package cheaper than a U.S. to BKK routing. This is because there are many discounted flights out of the U.K. So check out the possibilites there.

Secondly, just a few minutes of google searching on "cheapest airfare Chicago to Bangkok" found me this:

Thu 26 Aug Asiana Airlines Flight 235

Depart 1:00 am Chicago-Ohare, IL, US

Arrive 5:00 am Incheon International, KP (arrives on Fri 27 Aug)

non stop • Economy • Boeing 777-200/300 Jet

Time between flights 13h 20m

Fri 27 Aug Asiana Airlines Flight 741 ( I just picked these days at random)

Depart 6:20 pm Incheon International, KP

Arrive 10:05 pm Bangkok, TH

Sector travel time 33h 05m - Stay 44 days in Bangkok, Th

Fare is: $979 for airfare plus fees and tax = total $1059

Note this routing gives you 13 hours and 20 minutes in Korea ...so be prepared to pop for the hotel or sleep in the airport.

(You say you're young, and you should be prepared to sacrifice a little convienance for lower price, right?)

So you see it is possible, but you have to do the work at finding these deals.

Also to be clear, I don't know anything about Asiana as an airline. I don't have enough info to recommend it or not. I simply searched for a low fare, and this came up.

Good luck.

:)

Edited by IMA_FARANG

:D

You need to do a little more searching...it's still possible to get flights from Chicago to Bangkok in August 2010 for under $1100...but you need to sacrifice something to do it.

First of all. consider going through Europe...especially the U.K. You might be able to find a flight U.K. to Bangkok at a discount price. Of course you have to add in the Chicago to the U.K. (i.e. London) flight, but the discount on the U.K to Bangkok flight may make the whole package cheaper than a U.S. to BKK routing. This is because there are many discounted flights out of the U.K. So check out the possibilites there.

Secondly, just a few minutes of google searching on "cheapest airfare Chicago to Bangkok" found me this:

Thu 26 Aug Asiana Airlines Flight 235

Depart 1:00 am Chicago-Ohare, IL, US

Arrive 5:00 am Incheon International, KP (arrives on Fri 27 Aug)

Time between flights 13h 20m

Fri 27 Aug Asiana Airlines Flight 741 ( I just picked these days at random)

Depart 6:20 pm Incheon International, KP

Arrive 10:05 pm Bangkok, TH

Sector travel time 33h 05m - Stay 44 days in Bangkok, Th

Fare is: $979 for airfare plus fees and tax = total $1059

Note this routing gives you 13 hours and 20 minutes in Korea ...so be prepared to pop for the hotel or sleep in the airport.

(You say you're young, and you should be prepared to sacrifice a little convienance for lower price, right?)

So you see it is possible, but you have to do the work at finding these deals.

Also to be clear, I don't know anything about Asiana as an airline. I don't have enough info to recommend it or not. I simply searched for a low fare, and this came up.

Good luck.

:)

thanks for the post and i did not look up airfare later in the air i was just looking at in the upcoming months

Greetings all.

Heres an idea and I need some help.....new zealand air or air n.z 8-1 LAX to Sydney RT = 650us and 18 hour total.

Must be booked by June 2nd and of coarse you have to get to LA.

Now for the help. From Sydney to BKK .....I have heard on this forum a week ago (can't seem to find the post) that Australian air lines were drastically discounting fare acros S.E. asia...... any one......

• 1 month later...

ya so bump any other ideas so i can for the cheapest possible airfare to thailand from the united states

umn i can fly one way if you get it really cheap

thanks

You've opened up a post from over 2 months ago, a lot of the replies are no longer valid You would be lucky to get in under $1500 at present. One way fares not cheaper and raise visa problems.

The Delta-Northwest merger has not helped, but it would be insane to fly here on a USA carrier anyway. The treatment you receive on the Asian airlines is as black and white different from the USA carriers as comparing Thai women to American Women. The old flight hags and the US carrriers are exactly what you come here to get away from, and Northwest is about the worst of the worst. They are rude, threatening and arrogant, especially since they seem to prefer playing cop to providing customer service.

My suggestion is to find a flight on an Asian airline (Eva-JAL-China-ANA etc) from Los Angeles or San Francisco. Thai is good but they tend to be expensive You can fly from Chicago to California on Southwest or one of the low cost USA airlines. Not only is this cheaper, but you will have a much better flight.

Also, use Orbitz to see what is available, then go to each airlines website to see if you can get a better price by booking directly with the airline.

Very well said. All my friends returning to USA or Canada use China Airlines,Korean or Asiana

ya so bump any other ideas so i can for the cheapest possible airfare to thailand from the united states

thanks

You've opened up a post from over 2 months ago, a lot of the replies are no longer valid You would be lucky to get in under $1500 at present. One way fares not cheaper and raise visa problems.

well i just got a quote from one way lax to bangkok 585 dollars us

and from chicago to bangkok 640 dollars one way

also chicago to bangkok both ways 1055 dollars asiana airlines

so you can do it

any get any better fares or secret fares give me a pm

thankyou

thanks

so you can do it

thankyou

Asiana are rated 5*****, and not many airlines can claim that. If the dates work for you go for it. check 'em out. Here.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks

so you can do it

thankyou

Asiana are rated 5*****, and not many airlines can claim that. If the dates work for you go for it. check 'em out. Here.

They be rated 5***** but, there web page sucks. You can't book a trip through from S.E. Asia to the America's. You have to parcel it as in Bkk to INchon then inchon to LAX and add the two fares together manual. All in all a royal pain.

I would like to know what search engines or Travel agents in BKK or CM work best for Asia to USA RT tickets. Anyone have a GREAT travel agent they care to share. Why are fares coming from usa to LoS and return cheaper than the reverse, LoS - USA - LoS .

Trying to keep layover time to a minimum, I did a search using Skyscanner using September 2010 as the base date(s). The best I could find was $US1173 (return including all taxes) from Chicago to Bangkok. As other posters have stated - if you really want to come to LOS, save hard first (sounds like you are doing your best). You are doing the right thing in my books by asking on this Forum and shopping around.

Peter