She Got It!

Well actually she got it a few weeks ago, but I haven't had time to post it. It took about 3 months from first applying.Thanks Bronco & everyone that gave me good advice. So are there any tips on helping the Mrs to settle in and make the change without freaking out?

Find a supply of thai food and let her call her family.

Dont let her get westernized like these lady falangs. I think this is

the biggest hurdle. My wife was in the US with me for 8 years.

I didnt notice her changing, but now she has been back in Thailand for

6 months she is right back to where she was when i first met her. A big

difference. Not sure how the lady falangs are in Austrailia but in the

US :o

Good luck

nam

Find a supply of thai food and let her call her family.

Dont let her get westernized like these lady falangs. I think this is

the biggest hurdle.  My wife was in the US with me for 8 years.

I didnt notice her changing, but now she has been back in Thailand for

6 months she is right back to where she was when i first met her. A big

difference.  Not sure how the lady falangs are in Austrailia but in the

US  :o

Good luck

nam

Personally I totally disagree with this....I think it is important to try and integrate into society, broaden your horizons about the new culture etc... of course the degree to which this succeeds depends alot on the background of the immigrant, but it seems to me such a shame to try and isolate yourself from your new surroundings by clinging to what is familiar. I'm not saying lose your thainess..heck i don't lose my farangness when I am in LOS, but it is worthwhile to at least make an effort ie: watch local tv as opposed to thai tv, work for a local company, speak english as much as possible, make non-thai friends,learn the offside rule etc....

Maybe I am a little nieve marrying a thai who had already lived half her life in the west and "integrated", I'm not sure what hurdles might REALLY face a new immigrant..but anyway, it's just my opinion.

Well actually she got it a few weeks ago, but I haven't had time to post it. It took about 3 months from first applying.Thanks Bronco & everyone that gave me good advice. So are there any tips on helping the Mrs to settle in and make the change without freaking out?

taxidriver,a lot will depend on where you are going to be domiciled in Oz,it will be harder for her if you live in rural area than in a place like the Gold Coast where there is quite a large population of Thais and thereby access to thai foodstuffs and the sympathetic ear of others who will understand when things get tough.

We'll be going to Newcastle for a couple of months and then probably to Sydney. I don't mind her getting involved in the Aussie culture, but I'm sure a couple of Thai friends would be good for her to talk to now & then.

Be very careful with Thai friends......