Stamp Collection Valuation/appraisal

joefarang

A friend who is also a stamp collector is going once a year to Hongkong and Geneva to Stamp fairs, for buying and selling stamps, he told me that not much is going on in Thailand for collectors of stamps.

Strictly a guess, as I know nothing about stamp collecting myself; but every Saturday morning, in front of the Main Post Office, there are canopies set up, under which people appear to be buying and selling stamps. As I said, I don't have any more particulars, and don't even know the hours of operation. I would guess 8:00 a.m. until about 10:00 a.m., perhaps a little later.

Just a warning learned by me the hard way. I inherited a large collection of 30 albums going back to the 19th century from my grandfather. I had no idea how to appraise it and ended up delivering the collection to an advertised "Appraiser" in Boston. He held the collection for a very long time and then declared it of little value and offered me a low-ball purchase amount. I refused and later, when I finally found about such publications as 'SHARPS" stamp guides and put some time into it, realized that is was quite valuable. Unfortunately, I also realized that the appraiser had removed a number of pages from the albums but because I had failed to record an inventory before handing them over, I couldn't prove it in court.

Before you give the stamps to anybody, at least make copies of all album pages and loose stamps so you know exactly what you have.

BTW, you might want to check out the BANGKOK PHILATELIC MUSEUM: visible from the SAPHAN QUAI BTS station.

Edited by dddave

Best thing is is buy a stanley gibbons catelogue and go through the collection yourself so you have a ball park figure- THEN give it to a stamp shop/seller. Thats what i did for a british collection.

What period/country are your albums?