Fastest Production Pickup Truck

I should also say that if I were buying a pickup to have some fun with (mine's just a workhorse) I'd be getting myself the Navara Calibre 6-speed MT and modding it - that one's 174 HP/403Nm stock, and I reckon it wouldn't be too hard to coax 250HP/500Nm out of it with a chip and some exhaust work..

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quite agree, the 4 pot diesels cant compare

would love to have a V8 here, if only!! Dream on eh?

The Aussies have a couple of nice pick ups

Don't they just. I'd almost give my left nut for a Maloo at a reasonable price. 425HP and 550Nm, and then you supercharge it :D

Edit: for those who don't know what we're talking about...

Ok, so maybe there's no smart way to use all that horsepower :)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

I should also say that if I were buying a pickup to have some fun with (mine's just a workhorse) I'd be getting myself the Navara Calibre 6-speed MT and modding it - that one's 174 HP/403Nm stock, and I reckon it wouldn't be too hard to coax 250HP/500Nm out of it with a chip and some exhaust work..

But the 174 hp version is already a 'tuned up" version of the standard 2.5? How much more could be coaxed out of it? Is it just the 4.4 with the 174 hp motor? It's an interesting alternative though:)

But the 174 hp version is already a 'tuned up" version of the standard 2.5? How much more could be coaxed out of it? Is it just the 4.4 with the 174 hp motor? It's an interesting alternative though:)

The chip kit from the same vendor I'm using gets it to 226HP/488Nm alone:

http://www.racechip.de/racechip-chiptuning...dCi-3018-r.html

The chip kit from the same vendor I'm using gets it to 226HP/488Nm alone:

http://www.racechip.de/racechip-chiptuning...dCi-3018-r.html

Was just gonna check that site! That should be a fairly quick vehicle!

Was just gonna check that site! That should be a fairly quick vehicle!

For sure. As noted elsewhere, my PJS which currently has > 200HP and 450Nm (est.) only just pulls away from a stock Navara. Nothing else even comes close here in LOS.

MRO - that's a dangerous statement to make on this board :)

Beware my Vigo. :D
MRO - that's a dangerous statement to make on this board :)

I was talking in the context of stock pickups - i.e. none of them come close to the Navara. I guess I should have been a little clearer :D

Still, I do like the way you guys are thinking :D TV track day maybe? :D

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

I read about the Navara has a highly stressed out engine and

is one of the hardest to mod.

I am thinking about modding a diesel to 500-550nm

still in the stage of calculating the cost of the project.

If you want some ideas on possibilities and prices, here's a start (forum sponsor BTW):

http://www.monster-p-industries.com/about.html

It's discusting. My problem is: How can exiting about a 4 potter diesel, when had the "real stuff" in our homecountry?

BTW, have a Ford Wildtrack overhere. Nice looking truck (it looks at least american made). The downside is the 4 potter diesel. Good for town, enought power in the lower speedrange. But not to compare with a V8 or V10. Therefore i use it very rare (maybe once a month).

quite agree, the 4 pot diesels cant compare

would love to have a V8 here, if only!! Dream on eh?

The Aussies have a couple of nice pick ups

hsv-maloo-ute-4-big.jpg

image42398_b.jpg

This isn't actually really a pick up. It's more like a El Camino. Suspensions are similar as a sport car. Australian still make El Camino Style Pick Up Trucks, which are very, nice by the way, similar as Chevy done in the 70ties.

Here in LOS you can't buy that kind of toy, but you can build one. Can buy a Vigo and put in a 1 UZ V8 with supercharger. Should get also about 400 hp. I done a RR once with a Lexus V8, was perfect toy! Sadly i sold it, otherwise it would be my "Fortuner Killer today".

post-36457-1275383208_thumb.jpg

post-36457-1275383227_thumb.jpg

This isn't actually really a pick up. It's more like a El Camino. Suspensions are similar as a sport car. Australian still make El Camino Style Pick Up Trucks, which are very, nice by the way, similar as Chevy done in the 70ties.

Correct, in Australia these are called "utes", but then again pickups are also called that over there :D

Here in LOS you can't buy that kind of toy, but you can build one. Can buy a Vigo and put in a 1 UZ V8 with supercharger. Should get also about 400 hp. I done a RR once with a Lexus V8, was perfect toy! Sadly i sold it, otherwise it would be my "Fortuner Killer today".

For a brief period of time I considered doing an engine swap to an LS1/2/3, but then I saw how much such an engine would cost here (even 2nd hand > 300K) so it died, right there. By the time you added a gearbox, changed all the fuel system etc you'd be looking at ~500K for a used (and probably abused) motor.

Your Toyota swap probably makes much better sense. Pity the VIGO is such a girly looking truck :D

*prepares fire proof suit* :)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Correct, in Australia these are called "utes", but then again pickups are also called that over there :D

For a brief period of time I considered doing an engine swap to an LS1/2/3, but then I saw how much such an engine would cost here (even 2nd hand > 300K) so it died, right there. By the time you added a gearbox, changed all the fuel system etc you'd be looking at ~500K for a used (and probably abused) motor.

Your Toyota swap probably makes much better sense. Pity the VIGO is such a girly looking truck :)

That's correct, therefore i bought the Ford Wild Track. I like the design ,but it would be a nicer feeling when i hear the V8 sound, after i start up the engine, instead the sound of a "rattlediesel".

post-36457-1275384596_thumb.jpg

post-36457-1275384619_thumb.jpg

If you want some ideas on possibilities and prices, here's a start (forum sponsor BTW):

http://www.monster-p-industries.com/about.html

Thank you Moon.

I find that guys behaviour a little odd 

Some car owner asking questions on this forum and he disregard the question

starts to hijack the thread talking about his own car mixed

with hahaha more talk about his car and more hahahaha 

Some other things he does on this forum I find strange and unprofessional.

I will compare other shops first

Thank you Moon.

I find that guys behaviour a little odd.. [snip]

Fair enough :)

Here's another lead - these guys are arguably the most prominent in the various Thai language forums - I've had some dicussions with them (which were all very positive I might add) but I'm not sure if they can speak English (Thai's give up trying when the realize you can speak Thai)..

http://www.ecu-shop.com/

If you want some more I can dig them up, but be warned that it'll start getting even more Thai-language only..

Edit: One of their dealers have recently modded a Colorado for a 10.9s 1/4 mile @ 216km/hr - Diesel powar! wow! :D

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Thank you Moon.

Here's another lead - these guys are arguably the most prominent in the various Thai language forums - I've had some dicussions with them (which were all very positive I might add) but I'm not sure if they can speak English (Thai's give up trying when the realize you can speak Thai)..

If you want some more I can dig them up, but be warned that it'll start getting even more Thai-language only..

Edit: One of their dealers have recently modded a Colorado for a 10.9s 1/4 mile @ 216km/hr - Diesel powar! wow! :D

MRO, any idea how much the conversion cost for the Colorado..... Pretty impressive, the owner of the vehicle must have a big smile on his face at traffic lights......

[quote name='MoonRiverOasis' post='3653528' date='2010-05-30 14:30:00'

Have you measured your 0-100 time yet?

2006 Vigo 3,0 auto 4x4 4 door, with Mega Power chips. Spinning wheels and 2000 rpm at start, or from idle, I never managed 0-100 better than 9,8 seconds average. The 16" Michelin Cross terrain, and the ECU restricting power when auto shifting from 1st to 2nd is limit. Idle 0-100 same figure loaded with 4x100 kg guys and 2 big bikes though.

80-140 (2nd to 3rd gear seems to have less detune when shifting) very impressing loaded, on par with my 2008 Accord 2,4/180 hp unloaded, but 40% less fuel.

Thank you Moon.

Thx a lot moon, I will look into ecu shop first, it seem to be what I am looking for. 

I concur - the only pickup that I have trouble losing in my (mildly modded) 2.5L Pajero Sport GT is the Navara 6MT.

As for stock figures, here's some numbers for PPV's (pickups will do better due to power:weight and MT) pulled from a Thai motoring journo who does *very* in-depth tests:

0-100 KM/Hr - average of 4 runs

Fortuner 2.7V 4AT 4X4: 15.12

Fortuner 3.0V 4AT 4X4: 13.28

Fortuner 3.0V 4AT 4X2: 12.71

G-Wagon 2.8 4AT 4X4: 17.33

Pajero Sport 3.2 4AT 4X4: 13.91

Pajero Sport 2.5 4AT 4X2: 15.11

Ford Everest 2.5 AT 4X2: 16.05

Mind you, getting off the line is not the Automatic, 2000KG PPV's forte - the performance once you're actually underway belies these numbers..

Have you measured your 0-100 time yet?

My PJS shaves several seconds off the best times in the list here :D

Anybody happen to have statistics on the braking? :)

Sure :D

100km/hr - 0, average of two runs (dry, factory wheels/tires @ recommended inflation):

Fortuner 3.0V 4AT 4x4 with 265/65R17: 43.3M

Pajero Sport 3.2 4AT 4x4 with 265/70R16: 45.2M (Note: 2009 Model - the 2010 has 17" wheels)

Mercedes Benz 500SEL (W140): 45M (just thought I'd throw that in for comparison :D )

^ why you compare 2010 technology with a car of 20 year age and probably double the weight?

Becuase it's one of the few cars that's actually around the same weight as a PPV (within ~50KG in fact), and has similar wheel/tire sizes and braking tech (albeit with rear discs) :)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Sure :D

100km/hr - 0, average of two runs (dry, factory wheels/tires @ recommended inflation):

Fortuner 3.0V 4AT 4x4 with 265/65R17: 43.3M

Pajero Sport 3.2 4AT 4x4 with 265/70R16: 45.2M (Note: 2009 Model - the 2010 has 17" wheels)

Mercedes Benz 500SEL (W140): 45M (just thought I'd throw that in for comparison :D )

most interesting. the 2 LOS suvs with acceptable brakes. Rear drums is no drawback on only two 100-0. not enough time to overheat. Its the repeated 160-60 on LOS highway making rear disks desired,but not really needed, just reduce cruisingspeed for 5 minutes and good to stop again.

any figures for the suvs with tiny brakes?

^ why you compare 2010 technology with a car of 20 year age and probably double the weight?

I doubt todays 500SEL is capable of less than 40 meters from 100-0.

Its the 200-0 that continues to improve with newer high end models

Edited by katabeachbum

They haven't got the best reputation in UK...(I don't think this is the original Knackered Navara website) but have a look see here Knackered Navara :)