Tourist Visa Extension

Hi,

I'm currently on the second entry of a Thai Tourist visa that I obtained in the UK. My 60 days expires on 3rd June (arrived 4th April), and I would like to extend for one month.

I'm staying in Bangkok, and I'm wondering a) where do I go to get an extension? - is it Sathorn Tai Road, near Sala Deang? and :) am I limited to doing this process in in Bangkok given that I am living here? I mean do you have to show proof of address or anything like that?

Secondly, is it possible to get a non immigrant O visa within Thailand or can you obtain elsewhere in Asia? Otherwise, I may have to get another tourist visa from KL or Laos.

Thanks in advance, and apologies if the same questions have been answered already.

Bornslippy

On what basis would you apply for a non immigrant O visa? You can obtain a non immigrant visa entry (change of status) from Immigration if part of the process for marriage or retirement extensions of stay but you must qualify for that.

Ok, thanks guys.

The Bangkok immigration office is in Lak Si then - a good 25k hike from where I am. Can I extend in any location, as I might combine it with a visit to see friends in Pattaya or Hua Hin They have an immigration office in Jomtien and I see there is one in Hua Hin?

What sort of paperwork is needed, if any?

You can apply for tourist visa extension at any immigration office. You will need to take with your passport, completed application form TM7, recent passport sized photo, copies of your passport photo page/visa/arrival stamp + TM6 departure card. Fee 1,900 baht. Suggest you take evidence you are in the area - be that a hotel bill, a friend etc but may not be asked for. You can apply early and do not need to wait until the last day; the 30 day extension will start from the end of your current permission to stay.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/tm7.doc

(print form double sided on single A4 sheet of paper or obtain/complete at immigration)

Re: Your second question:

You can only apply to change your tourist visa to a non-immigrant O visa IF you have 21 days left on the visa not the extension) AND if you actually qualify for a non-immigrant O visa.

O visas are issued for retirement (over 50), support of a Thai child or spouse, being supported by spouse or child or investment in the Kingdom.

You can contact us for a free consultation if you think you qualify for such a visa.

sunbelt.jpg

www.sunbeltlegaladvisors.com

26th Floor Fortune Town BR, 1 Ratchadapisek Rd, 10400 Bangkok

Tel: 02-642-0213 Fax: 02-641-1995

Follow us on:

facebook.png twitter.png

Believe it has been 21 days on your permitted to stay time - and there have been several recent reports that people were told 14 days was now acceptable (but that is not confirmed). And the requirement is qualification for extension of stay rather than for a visa.

Which clause allows my wife/child to support me? I have obviously missed that one. Or did you mean Thai husband?

Many thanks for the info Thaiphoon. Spot on as always.

Yes, not sure I will qualify for a non immigrant O visa then. I may have to get another tourist visa after this one expires, but will see how it goes. It's my first, so hopefully I can get another one. I see that the forum provides a lot of useful information regarding the best place to get visas in the region, so that will be invaluable when the time comes.

It is your departure card that should be inside your passport and given to Immigration when you next exit the country. I don't know where the number is on the new form but my old card stock white type has it in the upper right corner.

Just a question about extensions of Tourist visas..

Is it better not having the extensions in your passport if u already have a few Tv/s..i mean from the immigration officers eyes...and later if apply for another one(tv) ,will it look better not having the extensions?

Dear all,

Thanks for your help and advice. Just offering a bit of feedback on the process.

I must say the extension process was very efficient and the new building is pretty amazing (they even have plenty of food, although you are never far from food in Thailand!).

As Thaiphoon said, it is very beneficial to take a pre-completed form with you. It saves a lot of time. There are forms to complete there, but it's a little chaotic until you go through to the other room. They even have glue to you can attach your passport photo.

They didn't ask for proof of where I'm staying, but you have to write your address on the form anyway. There are dummy forms there as well, to give you an idea of what you need to put in each section. You get a ticket to join a cue. I waited about 3 minutes, showed my passport, application for extension form, copies of passport, visa and departure card, and handed over 1900 baht. I waited a further 5-10 minutes before seeing another lady to get my passport back, with a 30 day extension.

I got a taxi back to Mo Chit BTS afterwards, and the driver somehow managed to clock up more than 17km. That was the only thing I didn't properly comprehend - I thought it was nearer than that! Just checked on google maps though, and the shortest route is 12km, so not too bad.

Bornslippy

name='thaiphoon' date='2010-05-29 14:15:23' post='3652183']

You can apply for tourist visa extension at any immigration office. You will need to take with your passport, completed application form TM7, recent passport sized photo, copies of your passport photo page/visa/arrival stamp + TM6 departure card. Fee 1,900 baht. Suggest you take evidence you are in the area - be that a hotel bill, a friend etc but may not be asked for. You can apply early and do not need to wait until the last day; the 30 day extension will start from the end of your current permission to stay.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/tm7.doc

(print form double sided on single A4 sheet of paper or obtain/complete at immigration)