Review Of Access To The Nhs By Foreign Nationals

From a quick read of the consultation document it appears that the basics as they effect members here will remain unchanged. Namely those in the UK as visitors will have to pay for all treatment received, except initial emergency treatment at an A&E department or minor injuries clinic; and those in the UK for a settled purpose will continue to have full, free access to NHS treatment.

However, there are two areas which, if introduced, will affect members here.

1) The possibility that subsequent visa or leave to remain applications may be refused if the applicant has received chargeable NHS treatment in the past and not paid for it.

2) The introduction of a requirement for non settlement applicants to have some form of health insurance (a good thing, IMHO).

There are also some proposed changes to the situation for UK citizens living abroad which may be of interest.

From a quick read of the consultation document it appears that the basics as they effect members here will remain unchanged. Namely those in the UK as visitors will have to pay for all treatment received, except initial emergency treatment at an A&E department or minor injuries clinic; and those in the UK for a settled purpose will continue to have full, free access to NHS treatment.

However, there are two areas which, if introduced, will affect members here.

1) The possibility that subsequent visa or leave to remain applications may be refused if the applicant has received chargeable NHS treatment in the past and not paid for it.

2) The introduction of a requirement for non settlement applicants to have some form of health insurance (a good thing, IMHO).

There are also some proposed changes to the situation for UK citizens living abroad which may be of interest.

I've tried to downlaod the subject document but have failed after far too many failed attempts, perhaps it would be useful to many if you could highlight some of the issues you have spotted?

I've tried to downlaod the subject document but have failed after far too many failed attempts, perhaps it would be useful to many if you could highlight some of the issues you have spotted?

Here ya go......see if you can download it from here

The usual ream upon ream of gobbledegook, no doubt

Penkoprod

dh_113243.pdf

Edited by Penkoprod

Here ya go......see if you can download it from here

The usual ream upon ream of gobbledegook, no doubt

Penkoprod

Thanks for that, you've obviously using a better ISP than I am!

I've read the document and will consider a separate thread to explain the current and proposed NHS rules as they relate to ex-pats, it would perhaps set straight some of the misperceptions seen in various posts on this topic in the past.

Thanks for that, you've obviously using a better ISP than I am!

I've read the document and will consider a separate thread to explain the current and proposed NHS rules as they relate to ex-pats, it would perhaps set straight some of the misperceptions seen in various posts on this topic in the past.

Being the lazy, jaded, but "skeptical of all things governmental" pr*ick that i am, i (along with a lot of others, no doubt) wait with baited breath.

Penkoprod