Tot Internet

imccosh

Why would 2 speed tests performed on 2 different sites (ThaiVisa & TOT) by the same operator give totally contrasting results ThaiVisa - Okla - 385kbps down/41kbps up so ring TOT to complain TOT - Okla 2956kbps down/420kbps up - !!!!!!!!

In this scenario you gave, the Ookla software is running on/through two different servers...servers which no doubt have different capability/capacity and are located at different locations on earth. The TOT hosted Ookla will give you a true representation of your speed directly to the DSLAM/in Thailand; if you run Ookla off some site/server like in the U.S., due to the much greater distance (more hops/pings to get to the server) and lower "or" maybe higher capability/capacity of the their server, you will get difference results...almost assuredly lower results due to the international connection/distance. Now this does not mean you should get 2956 kbps download speed from every Thai website because it will still depend on the capability/capacity of the server (or underpowered home computer in a shop) hosting that web site, and the hosting web server may not even be located in Thailand...kinda like how ThaiVisa hosts its web site in Singapore. You'll notice in the ThaiVisa hosted Ookla, it test the speed against the ThaiVisa Singapore server or their ThaiVisa Bangkok server. Remember each server has different capability/capacity, located in a different location on earth, etc. And another BIG factor is the ISP's international bandwidth and Shaping (reduction/sharing amount many users) of the bandwidth.

My experience is TOT seems to shape their international bandwidth to appox 25% of the max IP speed for a package. I have the TOT 4Mb package and it seems my "average" speed to the U.S. is 0.9Mb, which is approx 25% of the true/max 3.5Mb "IP" speed their 4Mb package is currently capable of. Remember, that 0.9Mb is an average number as I get a little more or little less to certain international locations.

And even if you use another program like speedtest.net to locations where different servers/test sites are location physically very close to each other you can get major differences in your speed tests due to the speedtest.net server capability/capacity at each location, hops to get to the server, etc. All internet web sites/servers are not created equal....throw in the ISP's international bandwidth/shaping and you have the receipt for greatly varying speed results.

Edited by Pib

In this scenario you gave, the Ookla software is running on/through two different servers...servers which no doubt have different capability/capacity and are located at different locations on earth. The TOT hosted Ookla will give you a true representation of your speed directly to the DSLAM/in Thailand; if you run Ookla off some site/server like in the U.S., due to the much greater distance (more hops/pings to get to the server) and lower "or" maybe higher capability/capacity of the their server, you will get difference results...almost assuredly lower results due to the international connection/distance. Now this does not mean you should get 2956 kbps download speed from every Thai website because it will still depend on the capability/capacity of the server (or underpowered home computer in a shop) hosting that web site, and the hosting web server may not even be located in Thailand...kinda like how ThaiVisa hosts its web site in Singapore. You'll notice in the ThaiVisa hosted Ookla, it test the speed against the ThaiVisa Singapore server or their ThaiVisa Bangkok server. Remember each server has different capability/capacity, located in a different location on earth, etc.

And even if you use another program like speedtest.net to locations where different servers/test sites are location physically very close to each other you can get major differences in your speed tests due to the speedtest.net server capability/capacity at each location, hops to get to the server, etc. All internet web sites/servers are not created equal.

Which ever way you look at it, what ever speed tests you do one thing still is true TOT are a pile of S $$$! I AM PAYING FOR 3MB GETTING 244KB OR LESS ON WEBSITES OUTSIDE THAILAND. IT SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED!!!!

TIT. Welecome to Thailand. Amazing Thailand. Etc.

PS: Even if you did the speedtests "from" the U.S. or Europe "to" Thailand-based website/servers you wouldn't get full speed simply because of the long...long...long internet pipe between US/Europe (plus other factors) and Thailand, but it would no doubt be faster than the direction we are currently going (ie., from Thailand to the world). Heck, I hardly ever did speedtest when living in the U.S. simply because the internet pages always popped on the screen; but once those pages stopped popping on the screen in Thailand, we all start doing speedtests which basically just causes more frustration.

I have TOT up tp 4MBs package & up until one hour ago the download speed from all sources (inside & outside Thailand) was 0.85MBs & has been the same for 3 weeks despite calls to their hotline. Earlier this morning I visited the TOT office in Phuket & within 30 minutes a technician appeared at my door & within another 10 minutes my download speed was back to 3.5MBs which is what it was previously. Perhaps I was lucky they had a tech in the area but he did say straight away he knew exactly what was wrong. I did not discuss with him as I was just happy to get my speed back.

Another problem which has not been rectified is I cannot send messages to @yahoo.com but can receive. My incoming mail server is Loxinfo but TOT going out. Anyone else having this problem as I know of others in Phuket who are on TOT & cannot send to yahoo.

I have TOT up tp 4MBs package & up until one hour ago the download speed from all sources (inside & outside Thailand) was 0.85MBs & has been the same for 3 weeks despite calls to their hotline. Earlier this morning I visited the TOT office in Phuket & within 30 minutes a technician appeared at my door & within another 10 minutes my download speed was back to 3.5MBs which is what it was previously. Perhaps I was lucky they had a tech in the area but he did say straight away he knew exactly what was wrong. I did not discuss with him as I was just happy to get my speed back.

Another problem which has not been rectified is I cannot send messages to @yahoo.com but can receive. My incoming mail server is Loxinfo but TOT going out. Anyone else having this problem as I know of others in Phuket who are on TOT & cannot send to yahoo.

I'm assuming your 3.5Mb download speed is to the DSLAM/in-Thailand only, which is what I get to the DSLAM. I'm on the TOT 4Mb package also. What speeds do you get to San Francisco, Altlanta, etc., using Speedtest.net? Thanks.

Edited by Pib

I AM PAYING FOR 3MB GETTING 244KB OR LESS ON WEBSITES OUTSIDE THAILAND. IT SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED!!!!

If it makes you feel better, I used to get less than dial up modem speeds (<56K) from a True 1MB package.

These days I use CSLoxinfo, and I get about 80% of the rated package speed, about 2.4MB. I'm happy with it.