Cost Of Your Passport

I am curious as to how much you paid for your current passport and how easy (or not) it was to renew, if you applied for it away from your home country.

If you're comfortable in divulging your nationality, can you please also advise how much it set you back and if there were any complications in getting your renewal. Please also describe the type of passport you own, ie how many years it's valid for.

I applied for my full UK passport (by full I mean it has 48 pages and it's valid for 10 years) at the British Embassy in Bangkok and it cost me THB 8 034, which at the time we were getting around THB 52 to the pound; ~£150.

It wasn't as straight forward as it should have been either, because due to England closing down for the festive period, I only received my passport back on Christmas Eve- just a few days before I was flying off to Indonesia.

My curiosity stems from wondering if a UK passport is good value compared to other nationalities. Thanks for your input.

I have exactly the same as you, but I got it from BKK 2 years ago when the exchange rate was around 70, so it cost me 11,000 baht!

Of the 48 pages only something like 38 are usable and it is not extendable like the US and other nation's passports. Mine is now around 80% full and will need to be renewed in about 6 months.

Worst value passport in the world, at nearly 5,000 baht per year for my particular situation, it is seen as a revenue raiser by the UK government, rather than a service as per every other government in the world. Also now we cannot get from BKK, have to get from Hong Kong so it will be even more expensive I would imagine.

For comparison a Thai passport is 1,000 baht for 5 years.

I have exactly the same as you, but I got it from BKK 2 years ago when the exchange rate was around 70, so it cost me 11,000 baht!

Of the 48 pages only something like 38 are usable and it is not extendable like the US and other nation's passports. Mine is now around 80% full and will need to be renewed in about 6 months.

Worst value passport in the world, at nearly 5,000 baht per year for my particular situation, it is seen as a revenue raiser by the UK government, rather than a service as per every other government in the world. Also now we cannot get from BKK, have to get from Hong Kong so it will be even more expensive I would imagine.

Looks like the UK is in a profit making business. Below from the U.S. Embassy's www site:

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/passports.html

First adult passport, replacement for a lost, stolen or mutilated passport of an adult: the passport application fee is $75. The execution fee is $25. The total is $100. [or baht 3,222 at yesterday's SCB rate, altho the Embassy uses their own rate.}

Adult Renewals: The passport application fee is $75. There is no execution fee for this category.

Fees may be paid in U.S. Dollars, Thai Baht, or by credit card. [baht 2,416 at SCB, but see note above.]

My most recent passport is 48 pages, plus the free [for now] extra pages. Oh, yes, 10 year validity.

Mac

Interesting subject as my passport is almost full, only one blank page left. Nowhere near expiry date. As I am going to the UK in a few months I can renew it there but I worry that they won't get it back to me before I return here so I will probably wait until I'm back then get another from Hong Kong.

It just seems a rip-off. Money making by the UK government.

Interesting subject as my passport is almost full, only one blank page left. Nowhere near expiry date. As I am going to the UK in a few months I can renew it there but I worry that they won't get it back to me before I return here so I will probably wait until I'm back then get another from Hong Kong.

You can pay extra for a personal appointment in the UK for a same day service. I think that the cost will be similar to renewing by post to Hong Kong.

Will you need to get a new visa while in UK? Make sure that you have enough blank space for the visa and exit/admission stamps.

Apply through the post office in the UK, £90.50 for a 48 page one, very quick should be less than a week. prices shown on the IPS website are fast track ( 1 week) £120.00, same day £130.50. to apply here in Thailand have to send to Hong Kong and its about £150.00 ish

New Zealand $150 (approx 6000 baht) for 5 year passport

I had to return to Wellington last July so took my application to the office in-person got them to check all was correct, and paid, explained I intended to leave NZ in 2 weeks, they said 7-10 days for new passport, but I had it in five days from handing in my application. My brother sent his by post about October had a new one in 2 weeks.

Norway passport easy easy. Two trips to BKK embassy - one to show your old PP, order new PP and take photo, and then again to pick up your new PP two weeks later. 32 pages, 10 years, 2500 Baht.

I had no idea there was so much discrepancy in costs between countries. Any more examples?

I also find the price of a UK passport shocking- is there truly any justification in charging us so much? It seems this is yet another stealth tax we can add to the ever growing list.

Finally, I wonder why we should have to pay extra for the same product simply because we are out of the UK? Why should that make a difference?

steve187 mentions that the same 48-page passport can be acquired as "cheaply" as ninety quid in Britain, yet away from the UK the fee jumps to over £150. How can they do that?

I travel to West Africa a lot with my job, and many Countries require minimum of six full pages left in your pasport or they will refuse entry, so my ten yera passports normally only last around two to three years

The UK Passport Service does advise that overseas residents can renew if they are in the UK and of course it's considerably cheaper to do so, I have noted that passport applications are being turned round pretty quickly at present, though that could change.

The only thing I am not sure about is can I use my new passport along with the full one, which contains my extension of permission to remain along with my re-entry permit, to re-enter Thailand and then get the stamps transferred. I am aware this is allowed by most countries, or would I have to get a new visa, as "loong" suggests, and then start the process all over again. Does anybody have a definitive answer about this?

Edited by theoldgit

Australian Passport Standard (32 pages)

Includes Diplomatic and Official Passports A$208 (฿5557)

Frequent Traveller (64 pages)

If you are a frequent traveller you have the option to apply for a frequent traveller

passport which contains twice as many pages compared to the standard passport.

A higher fee is charged for a frequent traveller passport. A$312 (฿8336)

The Australian Passport Office is committed to mailing out an eligible applicant's passport within ten working days

of receiving all information and documentation we require. However, you should allow extra time for Australia Post

outlets to forward your application to us and for your passport to reach you by registered mail.

This can add between two and eight days to the ten working days needed for processing.

Australian Passport

Edited by LindsayBKK

Right - UK passports are an absolute rip off. The last government stuck up the price, making feeble excuses about covering the cost of conular assistance, which amounts to little more than an answering machine these days.

To add insult to injury, if you leave the UK for more than 15 years you can't even vote anymore. So much for the right of universal suffrage. That, and the expat pensions that aren't index linked. It's no wonder so many UK expats hate the place so much.

The UK Passport Service does advise that overseas residents can renew if they are in the UK and of course it's considerably cheaper to do so, I have noted that passport applications are being turned round pretty quickly at present, though that could change.

The only thing I am not sure about is can I use my new passport along with the full one, which contains my extension of permission to remain along with my re-entry permit, to re-enter Thailand and then get the stamps transferred. I am aware this is allowed by most countries, or would I have to get a new visa, as "loong" suggests, and then start the process all over again. Does anybody have a definitive answer about this?

I renewed my passport in the UK six weeks ago, cost 77.50 pounds plus 8 pounds for the optional Post Office check & send service, thought it might be quicker but still took 12 days!

My old passport had my retirement extension & multi entry visa. Just showed both passports at Suvarnabhumi, no questions and no problem at all. Went to Immigration in Khon Kaen a week later and they transferred all stamps to new passport, no charge, and again no questions and no problem at all.

All the best & hope this will help.

I renewed my passport in the UK six weeks ago, cost 77.50 pounds plus 8 pounds for the optional Post Office check & send service, thought it might be quicker but still took 12 days!

My old passport had my retirement extension & multi entry visa. Just showed both passports at Suvarnabhumi, no questions and no problem at all. Went to Immigration in Khon Kaen a week later and they transferred all stamps to new passport, no charge, and again no questions and no problem at all.

All the best & hope this will help.

Thanks for that Richard, just what I needed to know.

Right - UK passports are an absolute rip off. The last government stuck up the price, making feeble excuses about covering the cost of conular assistance, which amounts to little more than an answering machine these days.

To add insult to injury, if you leave the UK for more than 15 years you can't even vote anymore. So much for the right of universal suffrage. That, and the expat pensions that aren't index linked. It's no wonder so many UK expats hate the place so much.

I wasn't aware of losing the right to vote after 15 years. That's outrageous, particularly if you still pay tax in the UK! :)

Have you/anyone a link or more information on this subject? Thanks.

Canadian Passport valid for 5 years CAD 100 (THB 3,100) for 24 pages, CAD 105 (THB 3,255) for 48 pages, which I think is pretty reasonable. I also have an Australian passport and never understood the 50% premium for the larger version...is the paper really that expensive?

I also have an Australian passport and never understood the 50% premium for the larger version...is the paper really that expensive?

Because they have learned to rip people off the same as British goverment do....

It really makes me laugh....they go on about biometric passports being for our own good, increased security etc etc, price increase unavoidable due to manufacturing costs etc etc....Renewal time for a British passport....its ok... send a photocopy for a renewal... :) .....so much for increased security:whistling:...