Isuzu Mu-7 Super Platinum/groove

Lets hope he didn't disconnect the ABS and he's gone missing eh. :)

Ha-ha-ha - good one!

But I'd bet he's just riding around enjoying the MU-7 and its multimedia features and re-watching his bootlegged copy of the Johna Hex movie.......

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Volvos Bosch ABS 20 years ago was more advanced than any LOS pickup/SUV ABS today. Approx double the frequensy of the best LOS trucks, thats Mitsu and Toyota after Nov 2008. Volvo has never used a 3 sensor ABS like Isu is using, and I belive Bosch has never supplied a 3 sensor system, at least not for European made vehicles. It was "invented" by yanks to save money.

Any disconnection of ABS set off the warning light on dash. Most easy way to disconnect is to remove fuse.

For most drivers even a dated ABS is safer than no ABS, it usually keeps vehicle on the road even in curves nomatter how you treat your brakes.

Thats an eye opener Kata, I remember that the wheel sensors on the Volvo looked very basic but the box of tricks under the hood looked impressive. Mind you, back then my 1988 V6 estate was incredibly expensive.

Bosch ABS in 1988 Volvo 760 Estate (with PRV V6 in Europe and 2,3 turbo 4 pot in The US) was on par with what Denso supplies to LOS trucks from Toyota and Mitsu today

1990 Volvo 960 got the next gen Bosch ABS, only a couple of years after Benz and BMW. Huge difference.

Building vehicles is all about beancounters saving nickels and dimes.

All buyers ask for ABS, few customers know the huge differences between what is offered. "Super Platinum groove" and DVD screens sells, efficient brakes dont sell on SUV. Being able to stop 5 meters sooner is not important.

Korean Kia had the coolest "ABS" ever in late 80s/early 90s. A valve on rear brakes prohibited rear wheel lock by removing rear brakes pressure when brakes locked. So no rear brakes on slippery roads. Similar to the ABS on Malaysian JRD scoots sold in LOS. They can call it ABS, since Bosch patent has expired.

Edited by katabeachbum

Now I'm remembering: I read something about ABS computers are programmed to function +/- 3% of the factory tires overall diameter. The 265/65R-17 would be +3.47% greater than the overall diameter of the factory tires and the 265/60R-18 would be +3.32% greater.

Do you know whether or not the (+/-) 3% ABS rule is valid?

Izu is using a rather old 3 sensor ABS with low frequency, so changing the wheel size will not affect it at all. An experienced driver will be able to stop this vehicle on ice or snow much more efficient than this ABS system does. I know, I have tried. A friend is importing and selling DMax as ambulances in my home country. Most drivers disconnect this ABS. They are pushing Izu hard to bring ABS up to date on next gen to be launched 2011.

What is the reasoning behind those guys disconnecting this type of ABS?

Building vehicles is all about bean counters saving nickels and dimes.

All buyers ask for ABS, few customers know the huge differences between what is offered. "Super Platinum groove" and DVD screens sells, efficient brakes don't sell on SUV. Being able to stop 5 meters sooner is not important

Do you think the current MU-7 brake set is adequate? If not, what basic 'aftermarket' modifications would you have done?

Edited by thailoht

Now I'm remembering: I read something about ABS computers are programmed to function +/- 3% of the factory tires overall diameter. The 265/65R-17 would be +3.47% greater than the overall diameter of the factory tires and the 265/60R-18 would be +3.32% greater.

Do you know whether or not the (+/-) 3% ABS rule is valid?

Izu is using a rather old 3 sensor ABS with low frequency, so changing the wheel size will not affect it at all. An experienced driver will be able to stop this vehicle on ice or snow much more efficient than this ABS system does. I know, I have tried. A friend is importing and selling DMax as ambulances in my home country. Most drivers disconnect this ABS. They are pushing Izu hard to bring ABS up to date on next gen to be launched 2011.

What is the reasoning behind those guys disconnecting this type of ABS?

Building vehicles is all about bean counters saving nickels and dimes.

All buyers ask for ABS, few customers know the huge differences between what is offered. "Super Platinum groove" and DVD screens sells, efficient brakes don't sell on SUV. Being able to stop 5 meters sooner is not important

Do you think the current MU-7 brake set is adequate? If not, what basic 'aftermarket' modifications would you have done?

The experienced ambulance drivers disconnect Isu ABS to be able to stop on shorter distance. They are spoiled with efficient ABS from Caravelle, BenzE and Volvo900. Isus 3 sensor ABS believes more than one wheel has lost traction while its only one wheel without traction, thus decrease pressure to brakes when not yet needed providing increased stopping distance. But again, for most drivers any ABS is safer than no ABS

MU7 brakes are adequate at 120 kmh for one emergensybraking, but since they are rather small they overheat on only one emergencybraking and need some time to cool down before needed again. Stoppingdistance from 100-0 kmh is also longer than new Fortuner and Pajero Sport. Just like Fortuner and Vigo before major brake upgrade November 2008.

Aftermarket on a budget, I would have done only larger front discs and calipers. More money, rear drums replaced by discs.

I survived with Isu size brakes in my 2004 and 2006 Vigos and my 2005 Fortuner, but it was close sometimes. just know the brakes limit, keep speed accordingly, and it works.

If you never drive more than 100-120 kmh, and reduce speed after one emergencybraking, braking safety on dry road should be close to what is provided by Fortuner and Pajero Sport, lets say 50 meters from 0-100 compared to the others 43-44 meters. On slippery road, Isus ABS is a major drawback.

The experienced ambulance drivers disconnect Isu ABS to be able to stop on shorter distance. They are spoiled with efficient ABS from Caravelle, BenzE and Volvo900. Isus 3 sensor ABS believes more than one wheel has lost traction while its only one wheel without traction, thus decrease pressure to brakes when not yet needed providing increased stopping distance. But again, for most drivers any ABS is safer than no ABS

MU7 brakes are adequate at 120 kmh for one emergensy braking, but since they are rather small they overheat on only one emergency braking and need some time to cool down before needed again. Stopping distance from 100-0 km h is also longer than new Fortuner and Pajero Sport. Just like Fortuner and Vigo before major brake upgrade November 2008.

Aftermarket on a budget, I would have done only larger front discs and calipers. More money, rear drums replaced by discs.

I survived with Isu size brakes in my 2004 and 2006 Vigos and my 2005 Fortuner, but it was close sometimes. just know the brakes limit, keep speed accordingly, and it works.

If you never drive more than 100-120 kmh, and reduce speed after one emergency braking, braking safety on dry road should be close to what is provided by Fortuner and Pajero Sport, lets say 50 meters from 0-100 compared to the others 43-44 meters. On slippery road, Isus ABS is a major drawback.

Thaaaank you very much for the helpful info and the comparisons!

After having drove a 2010 Fortuner for about a month back and forth across LOS with 110 - 120 km/h as my cruising speed, I definitely would prefer not to have any less of a stopping capability.

You (and this forum) has sure helped convince me to not take brakes (and other less glamorous, yet essential componets) for granted! Thanks once again!

We have talked a lot about brakes on this topic, so now l will bore you all to tears, but l hope just show what a minor difference makes.

My Pontiac, no no, stay with it. Factory, 10 inch drums and 11 in front rotors with a single, yes single piston caliper. Crap really for a factory performance car. Had a manually operated auto box that had NO braking characteristics at all, in other words, rev to 6 grand, foot off the gas and it near idled, so relied totally on the brakes. Get the picture.

Not good, so l imported an after market front hub/brake set up, 4 pot calipers, alloy bearing hub and rotor bell, same size rotor (to fit wheel size) , matching master cylinder and adjustible brake bias valve. Beautiful set up. Fitted it all, used racing fluid as recommended and gave it a blast up the road and tried the brakes. I could not tell any difference, pissed off, yes.:)

I had forged alloy wheels so l got the measuring stick out and found that it was possible to squeeze in, with a bit of filing here and there, 12 in rotors. Went to a localish performance brake outfit, they found a pair of 12 inch rotors and machined up a pair of bells to fit. I fabricated a pair of caliper brackets. Fitted it all, gave the motor a blast up the road, stood on the brakes, wow, it stood on it's nose (well nearly). Tested time and time again, happy bunny.

The point of my story is that, a half inch increase in rotor radius made one hel_l of a difference and for sure stopped me sweating on a few occasions :D. OK, finished.

Not boring at all transam, very interesting.

When the car manufactorers spend money on just a minor change in rotor/disc size, we as motorists are able to stop before we hit someone.

For the LOS pickups/SUV, most models from one maker is fitted with one brakesize, to fit the smallest rim they use.

Nissan Navara was the first to use 16" rims as the smallest even on the 450k baht trucks, Toyota followed in November 2008. Its a new world in braking.

edit

I guess we are far off topic here, but if it has made some members consider the invisible parts of a vehicle, not just the bells and whistles, I am very happy. These parts of a vehicle are not noticable on a dayly basis, but when needed they contribute to saving lives

It is no secret in the auto industri, SUVs have high profit due to low (invisible) spec, low developing costs and sloppy body and interior fit.

Edited by katabeachbum

Not boring at all transam, very interesting.

When the car manufacturers spend money on just a minor change in rotor/disc size, we as motorists are able to stop before we hit someone.

For the LOS pickups/SUV, most models from one maker is fitted with one brakesize, to fit the smallest rim they use.

Nissan Navara was the first to use 16" rims as the smallest even on the 450k baht trucks, Toyota followed in November 2008. Its a new world in braking.

edit

I guess we are far off topic here, but if it has made some members consider the invisible parts of a vehicle, not just the bells and whistles, I am very happy. These parts of a vehicle are not noticeable on a daily basis, but when needed they contribute to saving lives

It is no secret in the auto industri, SUVs have high profit due to low (invisible) spec, low developing costs and sloppy body and interior fit.

Your edit. What ever the topic, if it goes off track a bit is great, cos we are still learning stuff. For me the motoring forum is perhaps a bit different to others cos one subject always drifts into affiliated stuff. Rock on. :)

Exactly!! I'm sure there are hundreds of silent viewers soaking up the ideas and info that's shared here. Guessing that the majority of these viewers drive here in LOS, just imagine the awareness effect this brings!

I for one will be driving with an improved braking car and have learned to add a trans cooler and try to use only Shell diesel and synthetic oil.

Thanks guys!

Oops, I almost forgot to ask again: Has Kasmax returned from his 'drive-around-the-block' in his new MU-7? If anyone sees him, the guy watching the video while driving(?), will you honk and let us know? :-)

Edited by thailoht

YES, yes I'm still here but without my car yet. will be getting it end of the month instead.:)

What happened, what's the holdup - is there a production slowdown at the car plant? I imagined you had picked up your new MU-7 and were on an extended trip...

YES, yes I'm still here but without my car yet. will be getting it end of the month instead.:)

What happened, what's the holdup - is there a production slowdown at the car plant? I imagined you had picked up your new MU-7 and were on an extended trip...

Not really. its just that i dealer would try to give me in a week but i should be getting hopefully end of the month.

• 3 weeks later...