Samui Declared 'Green Island'

Samui declared ‘Green Island’

SURAT THANI (NNT) -- The Thailand Environment Institute (TEI) has declared Koh Samui a ‘Green Island’ to reduce the use of plastic bags after plastic was found to account for most of the garbage generated on the paradise island every day.

The island has been declared a green island, and all related sectors will strive to reduce the use of plastic bags to make the island a role model in global warming alleviation. Both public and private sectors on the island will encourage tourists to participate in this campaign as well.

The declaration was made after a meeting among the TEI, the Tourism Authority of Thailand, and representatives of more than 30 department store operators in the island. All sides pledged their commitment to promote the use of fabric bags instead of plastic bags to make the island a green one.

The paradise island generates about 120 tons of garbage everyday on average, and the amount could potentially rise further. Plastic accounts for 37.8% of the total garbage generated.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-06-03

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

30 department stores??

Anyways, the idea has got to be right. Tescos and BigC (the shop, not the person :) ) have to be the biggest suppliers. Given that Tesco don't seem to have made much progress in the UK then their work is cut out for them.

Nonetheless a step in the right direction.

Applaud the principle, but application will be another thing. It's not only the plastic bags either - you pass the hundreds of building sites and see discarded rubble, concrete rings, tiles, bricks, not to mention the red bull and beer bottles. My wife and I walked up through a coconut plantation several hundreds of meters from the ring road and even there it was littered with dumped garbage, sometimes in black bags other times just strewn across the land. We won't mention the lovely plantation owners who have the undergrowth cut back and then burn the debris, choking everyone in the process and polluting the atmosphere. No doubt Samui will in time get there, but somehow sadly I don't think it will be in my lifetime. :)

"Green Island"

Possibly the most ridiculous press release i have ever heard of on this forum.

The authorities don't even provide proper garbage bins let alone recycling bins. Vehicles drive around billowing out black fumes with no risk whatsoever of being pulled up.

Completely clueless.

"Green Island"

The authorities don't even provide proper garbage bins let alone recycling bins. Vehicles drive around billowing out black fumes with no risk whatsoever of being pulled up.

Completely clueless.

I agree with you but a start has to be made somewhere no matter how little.

It remains to be seen if any resources are made available by the Governing

authorities to help make this all happen, or just more empty words.

That's because you always drive from Tesco to your bar and vice versa only. Just check out the small road opposite Wat Kunaram into the mountains, or all the places in the South West, go for a swim at let's say Southern Lamai...it's so beautiful indeed.

and give the project time. It's just a beginning. Remember the ring road, it was a hopeless case, now half of it is new...

"Green Island"

Completely clueless.

Rubbish! :)

This is one if the dumbest statements I read on the local forum .... sorry I am usually not in to "flaming"... but....

I hope all farangs are doing there part, in recycling...

I get all my plastic, tin, glass etc, picked up...

All you have to do is get a 100 baht or so, basket.... the pick up guys will do the rest....

Once they now they have stuff to pick up they stop by at least every week.... their are several recycle trucks who come along. my pretty quiet Soi too...

It is not hard... just a change in attitude adjustment..... Simple!

"Green Island"

Completely clueless.

This is one if the dumbest statements I read on the local forum .... sorry I am usually not in to "flaming"... but....

All you have to do is get a 100 baht or so, basket.... the pick up guys will do the rest....

Once they now they have stuff to pick up they stop by at least every week.... their are several recycle trucks who come along. my pretty quiet Soi too...

I agree with jimmy. Even I'm doing my bit carmine....no need to change my glass just keep refilling it with Chang all day long! :D

"Green Island"

Completely clueless.

Don't be a drama queen to highlight your disagreement as we can all read.

Where are all the recycling bins eh?

How have the locals been educated? It's ludicrous to say it's a green island. Just because you have adopted a green attitude does'nt make it a green island.

Please don't waste my time again flaming me which such a load of "rubbish."

"Green Island"

Completely clueless.

Don't be a drama queen to highlight your disagreement as we can all read.

Where are all the recycling bins eh?

How have the locals been educated? It's ludicrous to say it's a green island. Just because you have adopted a green attitude does'nt make it a green island.

Please don't waste my time again flaming me which such a load of "rubbish."

Dear oh dear....this thread is about going green mate not purple! :D

Where are all the big skips gone from the ring road at Bophut? I know they removed them when a member of the Royal family was here, I thought they were going to put them back.

Where are all the big skips gone from the ring road at Bophut? I know they removed them when a member of the Royal family was here, I thought they were going to put them back.

Good question! Maybe they have forgotten? :)

Or maybe Bangkok Police paid for their removal, and it is now up to Samui Police to pay for them to be put back? Or some combination or other of finances! :D

oh dear! Sorry to hit a nerve!

I've been looking for my tiararolleyes.gif I but must have recycled it... laugh.gif

But brushing all Thai's with one brush, by the "clueless" statement is just is not true.... Some of them are into recycling & do think "green" ... Yes, I am not that naive to know that all don't but then they all don't in any country.

As I said, in the previous statement, just buy a large plastic basket, & use that, mine has been good for nearly three years now. All my recyclable stuff, is picked up usually on week ends, when I leave at my entrance...

If you feel you need a plastic bag, to do this, then they can be purchased at Makro, Big C or Tesco.

Just about everyday, I see "dumpster divers" going around, in the early evening at the Rubbish drop offs, or green garbage cans, collecting anything recyclable.

As far as 7/11 and other stores forcing plastic bags on everyone, not true, all you have to do is say "no plastic" ... just as they start to ring in... (obviously for one or two items that can be carried, with out a bag.) Often store clerks or owners will say "thank you for helping save the environment".

The first thing I noticed on my very first visit to Thailand (2004) was that everyone was using the energy efficient light bulbs... way ahead of where I lived in the west... where many people still don't use efficient low wattage bulbs... if that is not "green" I don't know what is.

By the by, Chawang beach was cleaned of litter, last Friday evening, with an army of people, apparently sponsored by the Samui Regatta Committee... Kudos's for them doing that!

Yes, a long ways to go... but we can all contribute to helping creating a "greener island" or country/world for that matter....

Using 95 gasoline will also give you about 10% more millage too.... it all helps!

oh dear! Sorry to hit a nerve!

I've been looking for my tiararolleyes.gif I but must have recycled it... laugh.gif

But brushing all Thai's with one brush, by the "clueless" statement is just is not true.... Some of them are into recycling & do think "green" ... Yes, I am not that naive to know that all don't but then they all don't in any country.

As I said, in the previous statement, just buy a large plastic basket, & use that, mine has been good for nearly three years now. All my recyclable stuff, is picked up usually on week ends, when I leave at my entrance...

If you feel you need a plastic bag, to do this, then they can be purchased at Makro, Big C or Tesco.

Just about everyday, I see "dumpster divers" going around, in the early evening at the Rubbish drop offs, or green garbage cans, collecting anything recyclable.

As far as 7/11 and other stores forcing plastic bags on everyone, not true, all you have to do is say "no plastic" ... just as they start to ring in... (obviously for one or two items that can be carried, with out a bag.) Often store clerks or owners will say "thank you for helping save the environment".

The first thing I noticed on my very first visit to Thailand (2004) was that everyone was using the energy efficient light bulbs... way ahead of where I lived in the west... where many people still don't use efficient low wattage bulbs... if that is not "green" I don't know what is.

By the by, Chawang beach was cleaned of litter, last Friday evening, with an army of people, apparently sponsored by the Samui Regatta Committee... Kudos's for them doing that!

Yes, a long ways to go... but we can all contribute to helping creating a "greener island" or country/world for that matter....

Using 95 gasoline will also give you about 10% more millage too.... it all helps!

The bit about the tiara was quite funny actually........

Samui is dirty place and never will be green, i just had my air con filter in the car replaced, it could not be cleaned because it was rammed full of dust and rubbish, after 3000 km. only after you move do you realise what a dirty hole it is.

Can we be friends now? Carmine.... emot-kiss.gif

I've been having a hard time wondering how to disguise myself as at the TV party at the end of the month...burp.gif

Since I've lost my tiara & crowns, not to mention my Drag outfits..... cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

His last victim on the general forum.....

teddy%20bear%201.jpg

You have been warned. :)

I have just removed the over sized image I placed above ... I know we need the bigger picture here.. but these images should be easier for all to see!

I also just changed my Avatar, I guess I will be hanging out to dry.... , if Carmine's computer eats me!

I'm really quite cute & cuddly cheesy.gifbah.gif

post-85461-019774200 1276209542_thumb.jp

post-85461-056658700 1276209565_thumb.jp

post-85461-084763100 1276209968_thumb.jp

post-85461-048409500 1276209979_thumb.jp

Edited by samuijimmy

I've been having a hard time wondering how to disguise myself as at the TV party at the end of the month...burp.gif

Since I've lost my tiara & crowns, not to mention my Drag outfits..... cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

We are Jimmy, i just enjoy the banter :D i don't think cross dressing will be required on the 26th :)

We are Jimmy, i just enjoy the banter :D i don't think cross dressing will be required on the 26th :)

Where are you going on the 26th ?