Tragic Death

AndersSN

Spicey  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've never been.

An Italian girl and her dad asked if I'd like to join them there one night, but I declined.

Not because it was Spicy, but because I just don't go to many bars, and certainly don't dance.

She appeared at breakfast the next morning with a large shiner and a limp.

I asked her what happened, and she said she was dancing at her table when a katoey came over and hit her in the face.

When she went down, her assailant added a kick in the hip for good measure, then strolled out the door.

Sounded fun.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never been.

An Italian girl and her dad asked if I'd like to join them there one night, but I declined.

Not because it was Spicy, but because I just don't go to many bars, and certainly don't dance.

I asked her what happened, and she said she was dancing at her table when a katoey came over and hit her in the face.

When she went down, her assailant added a kick in the hip for good measure, then strolled out the door.

Sounded fun.

didnt think ladyboys were allowed in

I've never been.

Sounded fun.

They are not but there are certainly enough ladies in there that could easily be mistaken for one :)

Even drunk/high katoeys don't don't just hit you in the face for no reason, there must have been more to it. Apart from that, it must have been a long time ago as katoeys have barred from there for a very long time now.

I've never been.

Sounded fun.

They are not but there are certainly enough ladies in there that could easily be mistaken for one :)

add beer googles and a low lit room and anyone could be mistaken for one laugh.gif

I've never been.

Sounded fun.

add beer googles and a low lit room and anyone could be mistaken for one laugh.gif

..beer googles and have a yahoo of a time..

This is another sad story and my condolences to the family and friends of the victim. I think damian500 has a fair point to ask why has there been nothing printed in the media? Not to say this story is false but since Ive been in Chiangmai Ive been told alot of stories, that have turned out to be false. A couple of weeks ago, I was told by our Thai neighbour that a bomb went off in Chiangmai Sunday market last week killing over 10 people. Our neighbour owns a restaurant in the Sunday market area and has got this info from a friend of hers, and it's been passed on as truth without anyone actually seeing it. I checked every newspaper, watched the news and nothing on a mass killing in Chiangmai. Although many people tell lies for the benifit of a good story, I doubt this to be the case here, I think information just gets jumbled, and wires get crossed along the way. I don't have the time to investigate every thing I hear, so I have to evaluate with the facts I recieve and trust I make the right judgment. R.I.P unknown woman, may justice be served on the nut job that ended your life.

Yeah, heard (and not believed it) too, that would have been all over the news. Furthermore a week before me, my visiting family and GF went off to Phuket, we received some phone calls from her family, not to go, as Tsunami's had been prededicted for the next week sad.gif.

Oh and remember, always turn of your phone when a thunderstorm is coming, the lightning will addept to GSM frequenties and seek out to hit your telephone. Only in Thailand.

Furthermore, I think it's not fair to only picture Spicy as a low trash dirt pit. I've had many nights of good fun there when I was still backpacking, I have some friends who still end up their on occasions, for old times sake. It's a one-in-it's kind place in Chiang Mai. But indeed a place to be extra careful in a otherwise safe city.

This is another sad story and my condolences to the family and friends of the victim. I think damian500 has a fair point to ask why has there been nothing printed in the media? Not to say this story is false but since Ive been in Chiangmai Ive been told alot of stories, that have turned out to be false. A couple of weeks ago, I was told by our Thai neighbour that a bomb went off in Chiangmai Sunday market last week killing over 10 people. Our neighbour owns a restaurant in the Sunday market area and has got this info from a friend of hers, and it's been passed on as truth without anyone actually seeing it. I checked every newspaper, watched the news and nothing on a mass killing in Chiangmai. Although many people tell lies for the benifit of a good story, I doubt this to be the case here, I think information just gets jumbled, and wires get crossed along the way. I don't have the time to investigate every thing I hear, so I have to evaluate with the facts I recieve and trust I make the right judgment. R.I.P unknown woman, may justice be served on the nut job that ended your life.

Yeah, heard (and not believed it) too, that would have been all over the news. Furthermore a week before me, my visiting family and GF went off to Phuket, we received some phone calls from her family, not to go, as Tsunami's had been prededicted for the next week sad.gif.

Oh and remember, always turn of your phone when a thunderstorm is coming, the lightning will addept to GSM frequenties and seek out to hit your telephone. Only in Thailand.

Furthermore, I think it's not fair to only picture Spicy as a low trash dirt pit. I've had many nights of good fun there when I was still backpacking, I have some friends who still end up their on occasions, for old times sake. It's a one-in-it's kind place in Chiang Mai. But indeed a place to be extra careful in a otherwise safe city.

I hope your right, and this is not to be believed. If it is false, this needs to be cleared up as it's not fair as you say to picture Spicey as a low trash dirt pit, based on rumours??? I think the person who started this threat is the owner of Dragonfly, which makes me think.......Ive been tempted to ask the people at the door of Spicey when Ive walked past, but then thought otherwise:whistling:

I hope your right, and this is not to be believed. If it is false, this needs to be cleared up as it's not fair as you say to picture Spicey as a low trash dirt pit, based on rumours??? I think the person who started this threat is the owner of Dragonfly, which makes me think.......Ive been tempted to ask the people at the door of Spicey when Ive walked past, but then thought otherwise:whistling:

I meet my friend every night after her work , we go to sompet market for noddle soup around 4am (ish). If there was A girl "Stabbed 9 times an thrown into the moat" it would not of went unnoticed to the folk that sell at sompet. There would be Ambulance's, Rescue Crew, police and all sorts of commotion going on. Yet all we have is rumour and hearsay.

I don't know the Dragonfly, Is it a Girl Bar? There is more than meets the eye to this story.

Also I'd still like to know , why put up a Poll?

if the venues were aquariums, Spicy would contain bottom feeders wink.gif

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Donnyboy,

Nicely put ! Makes us want to try one too :

If Chiang Mai night-life venues were oceans, Spicy would be a smoking stinking black fumarole on the ocean floor surrounded by meter-long day-glo hermaphroditic flourescing tube-worms gnashing razor-sharp mandibles.

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

Well, so far we have-

A report of a tragic death (unsubstantiated).

A poll (that seems to have a tenuous connection to the above).

Much pontificating and rending of clothes, breast beating, etc. by the warm-milk-and-into-bed-by-9 crowd.

And the rather ironic report by one member, stating he believes the original poster owns a rival bar (in the neighborhood).

If true, that would certainly be a rather damning conflict-of-interest angle to this whole affair (or should I term it a tempest in a teapot?).

Hmmm....

Maejo, you have some high police connections. If you get a chance, run this story by them. Let us know what they say. :)

Well, so far we have-

A report of a tragic death (unsubstantiated).

A poll (that seems to have a tenuous connection to the above).

Much pontificating and rending of clothes, breast beating, etc. by the warm-milk-and-into-bed-by-9 crowd.

And the rather ironic report by one member, stating he believes the original poster owns a rival bar (in the neighborhood).

If true, that would certainly be a rather damning conflict-of-interest angle to this whole affair (or should I term it a tempest in a teapot?).

Hmmm....

Maejo, you have some high police connections. If you get a chance, run this story by them. Let us know what they say. :)

I was not even sugesting the story wasn't true. Even if it is true, then still that doesn't mean Spicy isn't a CM institute. I'm betting that most nightlife venues in Chiang Mai that have been around for as long as Spicy, have had their fair share of incidents. Tragic as it is, some ppl just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Chance greatly reduce when u take a hot coco and go off to bed at 9pm every day, but then I could've stayed in Europe as well.

if the venues were aquariums, Spicy would contain bottom feeders wink.gif

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Donnyboy,

Nicely put ! Makes us want to try one too :

If Chiang Mai night-life venues were oceans, Spicy would be a smoking stinking black fumarole on the ocean floor surrounded by meter-long day-glo hermaphroditic flourescing tube-worms gnashing razor-sharp mandibles.

best, ~o:37;

Sawasdee Khrup, to you both Orang37,

good example

I like to keep mine simple rolleyes.gif

Does Spicy maintain a katoey detector at the entry?

One of the first things I mentioned to my friends the first time I went there was, "where are the lady boys?" It seemed odd given the crowd and the time of night that there were no lady boys, every body else who was even a little bit counter culture was in attendance. I was told, "no lady boys allowed." I would assume anyone who lives in Thailand has a katoey detector built in. The only guys who get fooled are the ones who want to be fooled. I never had any problems there but it was a couple of years ago.

[i would assume anyone who lives in Thailand has a katoey detector built in.

Or the doorman could just ask to see the suspects Thai national ID card ..................

(which every Thai citizen is required to carry at all times)

I'm amazed at some of the questions in this thread.

1) Spicey is a 'police' bar. (either owned or under the protection of, and with staff off duty police)

2) Every Thai lady in Spicey (not staff) is selling sex. (single white guys there are buying)

3) It gets busy after Loy Khrow is closed at 2am, all the working girls without a date head over there, and a few free-lancers.

4) You do get a few backpacker type white girls in there sometimes, who either don't know they are surrounded by Thai prostitutes, or don't care.

Spicey isn't a rival to any other bar, certainly not Dragonfly in Loi Khrow that closes at 2am, Dragonfly staff all troop over there after work as well.

Edited by sarahsbloke

2) Every Thai lady in Spicey (not staff) is selling sex. (single white guys there are buying)

That's not true. Id say it's maybe a 70/30 mix. I have friends that go there because it's one of the only places open that late, and i also have friends that go there that only like farang men....and really there's not many bars your going to find them at outside of loh kroh/ rock reggae area and after 2am..pretty much the only place is spicy.

[i would assume anyone who lives in Thailand has a katoey detector built in.

haha well...i guess the guy doesn't live here, but this guy i saw on friday having the most sensual dance and makeout session....his must have been broken.

Yeah i've seen a ton of fights there..and it's usually the hoes from loh kroh. Actually i've seen the same one get in 3 fights so far. she's a nut..not only will she not let shit go...like i saw a fight break out maybe 3 hours after it first started. i saw her pick up a brick and try to smash a girl with it.

anyway as sad as it is that the girl got stabbed....its not something that really makes me think twice about going there. This shit happens weekly in toronto...only usually it's guns. And the place is flooded with cops, metal dectors, cameras etc. Maybe i'm desensatized...but one person getting stabbed, it's not that huge of a deal.

I went there once as a joke with a friend since we heard all sorts of rumors about it. God it was filthy and nasty. I quickly understood that all the nasty bottom of the barrel girls and disgusting atmosphere was the reason for the cheaper drinks.

THe funniest thing was the 2 pick up trucks full of girls bussed in around 2-3am it was like the last stop express...