Marry In Thailand ... Need Advice

Need advice from all experts here. Me and my Thai fiance are thinking to get marry soon. We are thinking to register the marriage in Bangkok.

I have some questions here.

1. What type of document do i need to bring/prepare before I go to Bangkok to register my marriage?

(1) Passport

(2) Certificate from my country to proof that I have never married before.

2. I understand that i need to translate my "not-marry" certificate into a local Thai language, Where can i do it and how much does it cost ? How many days can i get the translated copy?

3. Then I need to bring the Tranlated copy to the ministry of Affair for certification.

How long will it take?

4. Can I complete the Thai translation + ministry affair certify + marriage registration within 5 working days in Bangkok?

I am thinking to take one week off for my work.

5. For my girl friend side, she only need to bring along the ID card? What other document does she need to bring along? She is not staying in Bkk.

She is over 21 years old.

tks

Need advice from all experts here. Me and my Thai fiance are thinking to get marry soon. We are thinking to register the marriage in Bangkok.

I have some questions here.

1. What type of document do i need to bring/prepare before I go to Bangkok to register my marriage?

(1) Passport

(2) Certificate from my country to proof that I have never married before.

2. I understand that i need to translate my "not-marry" certificate into a local Thai language, Where can i do it and how much does it cost ? How many days can i get the translated copy?

3. Then I need to bring the Tranlated copy to the ministry of Affair for certification.

How long will it take?

4. Can I complete the Thai translation + ministry affair certify + marriage registration within 5 working days in Bangkok?

I am thinking to take one week off for my work.

5. For my girl friend side, she only need to bring along the ID card? What other document does she need to bring along? She is not staying in Bkk.

She is over 21 years old.

tks

Can't remember everything we took to Bangkok as we had help from an Agency. But I do remember having to take my birth certificate, original not copy. Also, my wife had to take hers which meant that we had to go back to her home village. This is all I can remember in addition to what you already know but some other TV members might be able to advise further.

Mr BoJ

P.S. Thinking about it, I can't remember having to have had anything translated into Thai. I did have to have the marriage certificate translated into English for the visa though. Anyway, good luck. :o

...my simply advice is going to your embassy in BANGKOK, they will tell you everything you need if you want make everything alone.

Bracco,

I think the OP (unless i misread) is not currently in Thailand and so wants to make sure he has the neccessary paperwork before taking a holiday there. He is only having a weeks holiday and so has no time for any errors or paperwork missing. Is this the situation qsecofr?

Mr BoJ

Hi qsecofr,

Had my done in April, but I guess different nationality will have different process. Before going to the Amphur office in Bangkok to officially register, I need a document from my embassy. As for me, I need this few documents before I went to my S'pore embassy:

1. Document stating that you're not currently married to anyone,

2. Document from S'pore police stating I have no criminal record,

3. Document from S'pore Minstry of Labour stating that I wife had not worked in S'pore,

4. Document from your company stating your current pay.

With this documents, my wife and I went to the S'pore embassy and request the docuement for marriage in the Amphur office. The time taken for the document is on the spot and 100 baht. Remember to bring your passport and your wife ID.

As the document is in English, you need to translate to Thai. You can get that done near the Ministry of Affair as that are lots of small office at the side of the building. With the translation done, proceed to the main building of the Ministry of Affair to get it verify on the third floor, as the second floor is for Thai citizen applying for passport.

I had my documents verify done on that day (2 hours) and cost me 1500 baht (or 1000 can't remember :o ). However, you can get it done cheaper but require 2 to 3 days. Remember to photocopy your passport or get it done over there for 2 baht on the second floor.

Now you can go to any Amphur office in Bangkok to get married officially (on the day). They will give you 2 official document (free) in Thai stating that you are married.

That all I can remember from my experience. Hope this information is of any help to you and congratulation.

Cheers :D

The is no requirement for any birth certificate by Thai authorities. Embassies have their own requirements for issue of letter however. Below is the official requirements from the manual used by District Office. In Bangkok the recommended district for marriage is Bang Ruk (for good luck).

Marriage

Marriage Registration

Regulations

A couple must be of legal age (17 years) upon filing for marriage registration, otherwise permission must be granted by a court.

Permission from the parents is required for parties under legal age.

Both parties must not be registered as married to anyone else (Multiple marriage registration is prohibited).

The parties must not be direct blood relatives nor be sister or brother through either parent.

Adopting parents shall not be permitted to marry their own adopted child.

A widow or divorcee will be permitted to remarry not less than 310 days after the previous marriage has expired, unless

Has given birth to a child.

Remarrying the same person.

Not pregnant, as certified by doctor. (in case of early remarriage)

Approval to remarry from a court is obtained.

No service fee is required whatsoever.

Required Documents

Identification Cards of both parties.

The House Registration Certificates of both parties.

If an alien is registering to be married to a Thai citizen or another alien, he or she is required to submit following documents.

A copy of their passport.

A Letter of Certification, issued by an Embassy or Consulate or a Government Organization from their country, regarding the marital status of the person. The Letter must be translated, then certified by the relevant Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Procedures

Marriage registration can be filed at any District Office or Minor District Office nationwide regardless of the birthplace of the couple.

Once the marriage registration is completed, each party will be given a copy of the Marriage Registration Certificate as evidence.

If the marriage registration is filed at the District Office located in female's birthplace (where the name is registered on the House Registration Certificate), the title used with the forename and the last name of the female will be changed by the District Officer. The female is required to file for a new Identification Card within 60 days. A service fee of 10 baht is required. If the marriage is registered elsewhere, the female is required to contact the local District Office to change her name and last name, as well as filing for a new Identification Card.

If both parties are unable to file for marriage at any District Office of Minor District Office, the couple can submit a request to the Registrar to register their marriage at any location under the supervision of that District Office. The parties filing for marriage are required to provide transportation for the Registrar. A service fee of 200 baht is required.

If u want to buy land or something, do this before she changes here name, because later she also can not buy land.

Are you also wanting the new Mrs to change her last name to the same as yours? If so, add a little extra time (maybe a week) for this to be done, to change her passport and I.D. etc.

Mr BoJ