Thailand Vs Vietnam

CrossBones

I have just spent the last 3 weeks on my first holiday in Vietnam

I have to say that I *really* like this place. Before coming I was told by several falangs "dont trust anyone in Vietnam", but my impression of this place is that the people are much more up-front than in Thailand.

There are a lot of scum bags on the streets at night, but I have to say that the Vietnamese seem a lot easier to read than the Thais. They seem much less arrogant, more friendly and generally interested in our cultures, backgrounds etc.

I have made some very nice friends here already! Also there are some really nice sweet ladies around, and they arent thowing themselves at you in the same way as in Thailand. I have to say I think the women here are much more attractive than in Thailand (although a lot seem to have bad acne, not sure why).

There isnt really much of a BG scene here (although its available) which is quite refreshing. Things are much cheaper - TV readers should note you can buy really nice beer (beer hoi) which tastes like Hoegaarden for 4000-6000 Dong a litre - 7p a pint, or 30c a litre, actually cheaper than bottle water! You can get a very reasonable hotel room for 300 baht a night with air con, cable tv, fridge and get big discounts for long stay. Cigarettes are cheap, food is about half the price. You can get a visa extension for up to 6 months for only $22 a month. If you are an English teacher I understand you get $15-30 per hour and usually pay no tax.

Bars in Saigon open very late, but on the downside there arent nearly so many bars, clubs and restautants, your choice is more limited than in Bangkok.

I would like to know of any TV readers who have lived in both Vietnam and Thailand, how would you compare?

wow you describe Saigon (may be better Ho Chi Min City) as WONDERLAND, but sometimes if you stay a littel bit longer may be you understand that the real Vietnam is more like NEVERLAND, CA.

30 us$ per hour teaching English?? Why not 300$!!!!

Come on. Set ur brain in "dreams off"

Vietnam is a wonderful place, but living there long time is much more difficult than LOS, you will soon realize that HCMC is smaller than Nana, :o

No BGs indeed, Comunists save their face, just live there for a few weeks and you will know where to go, even if the old Apocalipse now is still a nice place with plenty of BGs.

Don't forget that unless things have changed, BGs are not allowed into hotels and guesthouses unless you have a marriage certificate stating her as your wife!!!! :o

What the <deleted> is all that about???? For a decent nightlife I'd forget it!

I've been to Saigon and loved it. Went for 1 weeek the 1st time and stayed for 2 weeks. I'm interested in yor statement re rooms for 300B equivalent:

'You can get a very reasonable hotel room for 300 baht a night with air con, cable tv, fridge and get big discounts for long stay.' as I have yet to come across any such well-priced.

Apart from the high hotel rates and the pickpockets seemingly everywhere, I concur with you and will return. Pls let us know the Apt/hotel names-rates-locs- and their websites if any).Regards.

I have just spent the last 3 weeks on my first holiday in Vietnam

I have to say that I *really* like this place. Before coming I was told by several falangs "dont trust anyone in Vietnam", but my impression of this place is that the people are much more up-front than in Thailand.

There are a lot of scum bags on the streets at night, but I have to say that the Vietnamese seem a lot easier to read than the Thais. They seem much less arrogant, more friendly and generally interested in our cultures, backgrounds etc.

I have made some very nice friends here already! Also there are some really nice sweet ladies around, and they arent thowing themselves at you in the same way as in Thailand. I have to say I think the women here are much more attractive than in Thailand (although a lot seem to have bad acne, not sure why).

There isnt really much of a BG scene here (although its available) which is quite refreshing. Things are much cheaper - TV readers should note you can buy really nice beer (beer hoi) which tastes like Hoegaarden for 4000-6000 Dong a litre - 7p a pint, or 30c a litre, actually cheaper than bottle water!  You can get a very reasonable hotel room for 300 baht a night with air con, cable tv, fridge and get big discounts for long stay. Cigarettes are cheap, food is about half the price. You can get a visa extension for up to 6 months for only $22 a month. If you are an English teacher I understand you  get $15-30 per hour and usually pay no tax.

Bars in Saigon open very late, but on the downside there arent nearly so many bars, clubs and restautants, your choice is more limited than in Bangkok.

I would like to know of any TV readers who have lived in both Vietnam and Thailand, how would you compare?

Vietnam seems nice and sweet on the surface, but if you stay there long enough (I tried living there for 3 months), you see a lot of ugliness and dangers. The VN girls are also much smarter than Thai girls and are far more advance at the scaming game as well as the love game. The VN police are also more corrupt and wouldn't blink twice at scamming a foreigner (unlike Thai police who are amateurs in comparison).

I tried the Phillipines as well, but on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being Thailand, Vietnam gets only a 4 and Phillipines gets a 3 in my view.

In the Phillipines, I rarely feel safe in big cities or in the more far flung place with beautiful natural scenery. The disparity between the have's and the have-not's is much larger so it's more difficult to adjust to as a foreigner.

As for Vietnam, a friend of mine is a Western doctor working there dealing with birth defects and cancers. He said the rate of illness and cancer in that country is many times higher than in Thailand. "Astronomical" was the term he used. Agent Orange, bombs and whatever chemicals that were dropped by the US during the VN War are still around and wreaking havoc on the population. A short tourist visit is okay, but I don't know if I'd want to breathe, drink, or eat in that country for the long term. Beyond that, I always get the feeling people are always watching me and are ready to take advantage. Certainly, they don't have the mai-pen-rai, sabai-sabai attitudes of Thais.

Best of luck to you innocent first-timers falling for VN.

you know your opinion will change the longer you are there. you thought Thailand was a paradise your first three weeks here. you thought the people were so sincere and the women were so hot. you loved the slew of bars and the aggressive women it came with. now you think another place is a paradise.

I've been to Saigon and loved it. Went for 1 weeek the 1st time and stayed for 2 weeks. I'm interested in yor statement re rooms for 300B equivalent:

'You can get a very reasonable hotel room for 300 baht a night with air con, cable tv, fridge and get big discounts for long stay.' as I have yet to come across any such well-priced.

Apart from the high hotel rates and the pickpockets seemingly everywhere, I concur with you and will return. Pls let us know the Apt/hotel names-rates-locs- and their websites if any).Regards.

tango,

I stayed in Vietnam for about a month or so a couple of years back. I was regularly paying $7-10 US for a decent hotel room in Hanoi, Hue, Hoi An, Nha Trang, Dalat, Saigon. All of them were pretty much newly-built as well (except for an absolute pit in Dalat, which I had no choice but to take because I arrived in town at about 3 am).

Vietnam seems nice and sweet on the surface, but if you stay there long enough (I tried living there for 3 months), you see a lot of ugliness and dangers.
True, but where isn't like that? :D

The biggest difference I noticed between Vietnam and anywhere else I've visited is the roads. F*cking mayhem. I loved it! Shooting along on a delapidated Chinese Hongda (!), trying to avoid huge lorries coming at you two abreast on the wrong side of the road. Or some crazy farmer trundling along with a pig in his front basket. :o

I love the traditional ao dai outfits that some of the women wear. It makes them look very beautiful and graceful. In fact, they look seem to look beautiful and graceful no matter what they are doing.

And of course the country has a fascinating recent history.

Just my opinion.

djmm

I don't know about the UK, but if you come from America and draw social securety, if you live in Vietnam your social securety will stop. Even if you have it deposited in your American Bank.

Well don't tell them where you live.

Living in HCM is like living in a gold fish bowl,

much worse than Thailand!!

I worked in Hanoi for 8 months in the mid-90's, and have been back several times since then. I found people there to be a bit shy and reserved at first, but when you get to know them, you have friends for life. In Saigon (where i spent less time), I found people warmer, but perhaps a bit less cincere.

One big difference I found between Thailand and Vietnam is the way Vietnamese people are quite prepared to invite you to their homes, be it for a drink, a meal or simply to chill out for a few hours before going out. I have found the Vietnamese much more informed about and interested in the world outside their own country than Thai people are. In fact, I felt much more "part" of the scene there than I have ever done here in Thailand.

Furthermore, I also had the impression that the Vietnamese don't expect the government to do much for them (who can blame them?), so they are more inclined to work hard to better their lives. In Thailand, I sometimes get the impression that when people have cast their vote in the elections; they sit down for the next 4 years and wait to see what the government will do for them.

In terms of culture, I generally found the Vietnamese much more knowledgeable about not only their own culture, but that of the west as well (thanks to the French, no doubt). Young people in Hanoi used to go ballroom dancing, you'd frequently see young people reading books (not comics!), and you'd hear more classical than pop music (in the mid-90's, that is!).

In Vietnam, culture (as in traditional music, costumes, art, etc) is part of every-day life, in Thailand it seems to be something you bring out when you want to sell something (or for the occasional holiday). I guess this is a result of how hard the Vietnamese have had to fight for their freedom, while Thailand has been blissfully spared for the horrors of war in recent history. Thais seem to take their freedom for granted, whereas the Vietnamese are very aware of how maney sacrifices past (and present) generations have had to make to get to where they are today.

I also found the Vietnamese more "educated", inasmuch as they are keen to aquire new skills, often speak several languages (French, English, Chinese) and that they are less materialistic than your average Thai. Sure, they all want to do well in the future, but the people I have met in Vitenam seemed quite prepared to sacrifice some time and effort to get there.

I have worked in most countries in SE-Asia over the last 15 years, and although I prefer Thailand due to the relative ease and comfort of living here (plus that my wife & kids are Thai), Vietnam will always be my second choice. I found Thai food perhaps marginally better than Vietnamese food, and in terms of women I am 50-50 (was engaged to a Vietnamese, now married to a Thai - no regrets, though!).

Before I get flamed to death, let me just add that what I wrote above are simply my impressions, that I am sure others have (and are indeed very much entitled to have) different opinions and experiences than I have.

So go ahead - fire! :-)

I hope no one flames you WS but the "thai is paradise, no other country comes close" crowd will anyway. You have the experience and are sharing it here. that is a great thing. I know that for me Thailand is the land of insincerity. I have been here for years and never feel closeness with the people. All they want is cash out of your pocket. There is no comradery here. When I compare Thais to people of another country I know well, Cuba, there is no comparison. Cubans roll out the red carpet for you. Their home is your home; and not just to try and scam you like lovely scamridden Thailand. Unfortunately due to cost considerations, Cuba is not an option long term.

It's funny though; a friend of mine who has visited here 5 times posed the question to me of why I live here. He asked me this as we walked along lovely Petuburi Rd in BKK, breathing the foul air, hearing the noise of the fast racing traffic and passing by all the unfriendly Thais. He said "what is so great about this place?" . I said well cost factors and chicks. He said "that's it?". I thought long and hard and said yeppers

In terms of culture, I generally found the Vietnamese much more knowledgeable about not only their own culture, but that of the west as well (thanks to the French, no doubt). Young people in Hanoi used to go ballroom dancing, you'd frequently see young people reading books (not comics!), and you'd hear more classical than pop music (in the mid-90's, that is!).

sorry, no firing ... coz ... it's true ...

btw, same refers to the chinese.

Each time I am in China I am delighted about their knowledge about western history and culture.

And YES, defintely yes ----- both Viet and chinese do listen to classical music as well (amazing).

:o

WhiteShiva,

Thanks for your post.

I read all the cr@p yesterday, only to decide that it wasn't worth my time to make a reply.

I have been to Vietnam five times, and absolutely adore the people. Maybe there is a certain kinship as an American. It's funny, but I have met French that hate Americans because of WWII, but all I have ever felt from the Vietnamese is a solemn understanding, and a warm smile.

My girlfriend is Vietnamese, and could not ask for a better girl. Have to have her home by 10pm every night, and cannot leave Saigon with her due to papa, but that is a small price to pay.

I love Vietnam, and can honestly see living there some day. The government reminds me of China 15-20 years ago. They are making a lot of progress, and seem to be moving the right direction.

As to which is better, Vietnam or Thailand? There is really no comparison. They are both great places, vastly different, and different people will be drawn to one or the other.

Will be in Vietnam 7/13-31. While there, will make a short (3-4 day) trip to Bangkok. I look forward to the opportunity that I have to spend in both countries, and with the truly wonderful people that I call friends in both locales.

Personaly I am a little more drawn to Vietnam right now, but that is where my heart is.

WhiteShiva,

Thanks for your post.

I read all the cr@p yesterday, only to decide that it wasn't worth my time to make a reply.

I have been to Vietnam five times, and absolutely adore the people. Maybe there is a certain kinship as an American. It's funny, but I have met French that hate Americans because of WWII, but all I have ever felt from the Vietnamese is a solemn understanding, and a warm smile.

Thanks for that, SC. This is my experience as well (Although as a Norwegian, there is seldom any ill feelings anywhere). I believe the Vietnamese attitude is largely thanks to the propaganda they were fed during the war (the North, that is) - it was repeatedly pointed out that they were fighting against the US government, not Americans per se. I think we could all learn a lesson from that......

One thing is comparing HCMC to Bangkok. But I think a more interesting comparison is Hanoi to Chiang Mai. I have been to each on a number of occasions over the years and find Hanoi to compare very favorably. Sadly, I see Chiang Mai as becoming a sort of a "little bangkok" slowly inheriting the disadvantages of its big brother. Hanoi on the other hand seems cleaner and more scenic as the city is green and full of lakes and also dotted with temples (the generous honking I could do without though). Hanoi also has a modest number of cool night spots as well as good farang restaurants. The weather is much more mild and comfortable unlike the sweltering heat in Thailand. The surrounding countryside and inside Hanoi naturally looks a lot more like postcards than Thailand by far! It is hard to beat Thai food, but Vietnamese food is also excellent. Vietnamese are friendly and at first I was not sure what the reaction would be when I mentioned I was American, but soon found in the north they like Americans. I have a fond memory of even being invited to a great home made Vietnamese feast on the floor at the home of a former NVA and his extended family. People wise, I still feel most comfortable around Thai's and like them more than any others I've met. This is very subjective, but I give Thailand the edge in food & people. But I think Vietnam clearly wins in terms of beauty and weather.

Edited by The Coder