Herb Growing

I have been farming and gaedening in Thailand for more than 20 years, I have tried many Western plants with a very small percentage of success.

I do like fresh herbs and I wondered what successes others have had.

I have successfully grown mint but without it's rest period it tends to die off after 3-4 years however I now find by replanting fresh growth this period can be extended.

Parsley, basil and dill tend to seed and therefore acclimatize and are ongoing.

Oregano seems to growwell but for one season only.

Sage I have grown but I only seem to get 1 or two plants from a packet of seeds.

Rosemary seeds have never germinated.

Which herbs have others had success/failure with?

Oregano and sage seem to do OK in big pots. The oregano takes full sun. The sage is coming to an end now but lasted a good year. Different basils do OK but do go to seed fairly quickly. No joy with all the types of parsley, chervil, dill and thyme. An Australian aunt told me the best way to grow parsley was in a pot in the kitchen so I may try that next. BTW the oregano went woody and died back a few months ago but returned with new shoots and is now as good as ever.

• 8 months later...

Oregano and sage seem to do OK in big pots. The oregano takes full sun. The sage is coming to an end now but lasted a good year. Different basils do OK but do go to seed fairly quickly. No joy with all the types of parsley, chervil, dill and thyme. An Australian aunt told me the best way to grow parsley was in a pot in the kitchen so I may try that next. BTW the oregano went woody and died back a few months ago but returned with new shoots and is now as good as ever.

My Dill does very well, if you want some acclimatized seeds let me know

peter

My Dill does very well, if you want some acclimatized seeds let me know

peter

just starting on the herb garden and along with others mentioned have had good luck with sweet marjoram and Italian parsley. Fragrance and Fords Forever

• 1 month later...

Hi there! I am living in Chiang Rai and would like to have an herb garden. I really miss curled parsley, mint and rosemary. Is there a nurtsery, let's say, in Chiang Mai? Re the rosemary, which does best from cuttings. Can I order seeds over the internet? Are there customs restrictions? Thank you.