Connect To Internets W/ Nok 5523 (And Misc 5523 Questions)

bangkokburning

Before I buy this new phone I really don't need...

I want to purchase a Nokia 5233 (non 3g), GPRS/EDGE

1. I want to use this Nokia 5523 as a modem to connect to the Internet - using DTAC GPRS/EDGE

2. Using DTAC will I be able to track my Internet time on the PC and the phone?

3. Will I need additional software to connect to Internet for PC and where might that be obtained do you think? DTAC presumably for s/w app and Nokia for driver.

4. Can I use Bluetooth instead of buying/using a cable? Will I get the maximum speed possible - DTAC appear to be about 240kbps

5. Should I get a cable (yet another cable!) for b100. It uses a "micro usb" I have standard small usb connectors, don't know if "micro". Don't know if 4 or 5 pin.

6. Can I get a call when I am connected to Internet? No.

7. Phone uses Symbian OS 5th ed. Anyone know about availability of apps in say Fortune-Panthip?

8. Can I use my old SIM and get same connection speed as "internet sim"? What is an Internet sim? Do I need to get a new sim card? I know I can get on the internet currently with my sim, but want th ebest speed. Presumably, marketing is the diff. a sim that is for data devices exclusively and has a promo package accordingly.

Thanks so much

Since you mentioned you don't need to buy a new phone, there's a better alternative. Although with GPRS you won't be be able to get a high speed Internet connection (if you are lucky, the best speed you can hope to obtain is about 1M), you will need GP3 or WiMax (which is not really available outside of Bangkok) to get higher speeds.

The best method to get the highest speed available is to buy a USB Modem that accepts a SIM.The British call it a 'Dongle'. The SIM card is inserted in it, then you plug it directly into a standard USB port on the computer. It's very small and lightweight, so no cable is necessary. Price runs about 1500 baht. My friend from England uses one to connect to the Internet when he's upcountry (where there is no high speed Internet available) with his notebook computer. He also uses DTAC and tells me that DTAC has some reasonable plans for Internet access. You will need to purchase another SIM card for use with the 'Dongle' if you still want to use your phone while connected to the Internet.

I don't recommend ;you use Blue Tooth as it's a highly insecure connection and subject to interference. A wired USB connection is the best for speed, security, and the most reliable connection. Any form of USB cable which is used on a mobile phone will work.

I don't know about the Nokia phone. My experience in the past, was you could not make or receive calls on the phone while connected to the Internet. In other words, phones are not capable of multi-tasking (even the iPhone).

By using a 'Dongle', it offers you the most flexibility. It's far cheaper than buying a new phone!

By the way, in mobile cell phone technology there is a trade off. The higher the frequency, the shorter the distance to the cell is needed. The lower the frequency, the further distance to the cell is needed. That's why AIS is better in really remote areas where the distance between cells is far (lower frequency, higher power). DTAC is better in urban areas where there are lots of cells (higher frequency, lower power). Collisions from other users are far less. Frequency affects the bandwidth (i.e. lower frequency, lower bandwidth).

Hi - thanks. I'm familiar with all yor points. Thanks. Yeah, I don't need one - but I want one :-). I figure it doubling as a modem rationalizes it. my Nok 6020 is internet retarded, but its a great phone and the battery and the thing keeps going...!

In Thailand they call it an Aircard. But yes, dongle is apt. My girlfriends speed is only about 236kpbs connected - what the speed and burst are ?? but its ok for reading Thaivisa :-)

DTAC works pretty much everywhere now save for Nakorn Nowhere Issarn. I have been to some pretty remore islands in South and signal ranges from none (Ko Rork) to great (Ko Surin / Phayam). I got into DTAC when it first started - it was an anti Taksin thing. AIS big mafia and I'm paying about a baht a min. My gf has DTAC as well.

Thanks for your input