I Hate To Be "that Guy"...

I hate to be "that guy" who asks stupid questions on a forum like this, but your BRIEF help would be MUCH appreciated. (VERY VERY MUCH appreciated)

I am a 24 y/o U.S. citizen, seeking to enter thailand on a tourist visa (60 days + option to extend for 30)

1. How do I go about getting the appropriate visa? Do I need to get it before I leave the U.S. or do I get it upon entering the country. (this website seemed somewhat unclear on that part....)

2. Do I need a plane ticket LEAVING Thailand in order to enter the country? (I am unsure when I will want to leave exactly, or where to for that matter...)

3. I plan to travel from Thailand to other surrounding countries, do I need to get visas for the other countries before I leave the U.S. or do I get them in Thailand? How?

4. I have heard it is cheaper to arrange for airfair from Thailand, than buying ahead of time... Is this true, and can I somehow get a one-way ticket to the country?

Thank you so much for your time -- again, sorry to ask dumb questions, I really did look around the forums for 20 minutes and found "hints" at the answers I am looking for, but nothing definitive...

Thanks again,

Carl

1. You go or send your passport to a Thai Consulate and pay the fee/supply photo. This can be done in person or by mail or use of a travel agent. Are you sure you are ready to travel? :D No you do not obtain a visa in Thailand although a visa is not required if your stay were to be less than 30 days and you had an onward ticket.

2. No. As long as you have a visa and means (10,000 baht).

3. You can obtain visas at border or from their Consulates in Bangkok.

4. You can buy onward transport here at any travel agency. Do not understand one-way unless you want your ticket here also bought here. If that is the case do not believe it would be cheaper than US bucket shops who advertise in Sunday papers - one way is often more expensive than a cheap seat r/t.

:o:D:D:D

Regarding 4, if you have a travel agency in Thailand that you know and trust, you can transfer the payment to them and have them send you a one-way or return ticket to your address.

Edited by ~G~

Regarding 4, if you have a travel agency in Thailand that you know and trust, you can transfer the payment to them and have them send you a one-way or return ticket to your address.

Will this work?? Most (all??) European airlines won't issue tickets that don't start from the issuing country. I tried to buy a ticket for my (then) GF from Heathrow to Rome and back at a travel agent in Rome, no can do, airline said the same.

And, no, you can't use the 'return' portion of a ticket before you use the 'out' portion :o

The airlines have it pretty well nailed up on charging the price that the local market (UK, US) will take.

Will this work?? Most (all??) European airlines won't issue tickets that don't start from the issuing country.

You can get them issued, but they are stupidly expensive. Most travel Agents don't know or want to do it as it is difficult and they may never have done it before.

Will this work?? Most (all??) European airlines won't issue tickets that don't start from the issuing country.

You can get them issued, but they are stupidly expensive. Most travel Agents don't know or want to do it as it is difficult and they may never have done it before.

As mattnich said, it is possible but probably will not save you much money.

I used a certain travel agent in Bangkok for the last years - reliable and cheap. When I was abroad, I emailed him, asking about this option. I got a quotation, but evantually did not take it - I got a better deal with a local agent.

Get a return ticket from your home country, take some time checking newspaper ads and asking at web boards such as these, compare prices and call around. Sooner or later you will find a good deal.

Seats on charter flights bought close to the date of departure are an option from Europe in any case, but these will be one-way, and you need to make sure you have a visa in advance, otherwise you will probably be stopped at the check-in counter, especially if you look like a hippie/new age traveller kind of person.

I buy tickets for my wife ex Thailand in the destination country. I tried once to buy tickets in Thailand to destination and the price difference was unreal.

Buying from here (destination country) ex BKK roughly 15k Baht.

Buying from Thailand roughly 170k baht.

I was shocked, but it appears the carrier to the destination country does not issue tickets outside of the destination country. :o

Don't worry it made no sense to me either :D

A ticket issued in a country other than that of the country of departure is called an Open Jaw ticket I think.  These are traditionally VERY expensive and not really worth buying.

"Open jaw" ticket would be BKK-SFO and then a return LAX-BKK. This would allow the traveler to go to Los Angeles by renting a car, etc. and return to Bangkok without having to return to San Francisco.

-redwood

Regarding #2. The airline may not allow you to board your flight for Thailand if you can produce proof that you have paid for onward travel. Airline policies seem to differ on this. This in spite of whatever visa you have for Thailand and in spite of the fact that it may not be required by Thai immigration.